Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 AM
4stauffers

Cost

I have called Michigan Motorz -- But haven't connected. Does anyone have experience with full rebuilds on a motor like this? I am told they ran a compression test and all of the cylinders checked out.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 AM
4stauffers

No -- The only thing I was told was the owner took the boat off the lift made it a couple minutes and the warning lights / alarms went off. He told them there was fuel all over the place. Seems like a bizarre story!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Just my .02 as a shade tree mechanic: the 6.2 is an LS series motor and the block should be the same across the entire LS line. Most likely the block is fine. Also a good chance that the heads are fine. Regardless, tearing it down and sending the block and heads to the machine shop would be a great first step. If the heads are not cracked, then decking them and replacing the valves/springs would be relatively cheap. Assuming the block is fine, line honing of the crank journals and some new bearings would make it good to go. Would a great opportunity to put in some better quality aftermarket materials as well. Forged rods, higher compression pistons, bigger cam, etc. If you really wanted to do crazy you could put a taller crankshaft in it to stroke it out.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Boatless and afraid
6.2 is a different block than the 5.3 and 7.0. Piston skirts are longer to deal with the extra displacement. I would not be looking for the leak before replacing the motor, especially if the compression test came back as good. There is a good chance there is a lot of life left in that motor and no need to toss it because it was wet once.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 AM
4stauffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
6.2 is a different block than the 5.3 and 7.0. Piston skirts are longer to deal with the extra displacement. I would not be looking for the leak before replacing the motor, especially if the compression test came back as good. There is a good chance there is a lot of life left in that motor and no need to toss it because it was wet once.
**What are your thoughts on the "fuel leak" the owner claimed happened? Could that point to a intake manifold issue?
Old 08-29-2017, 02:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Boatless and afraid
Thats an in tank filter, and any "leak" would more than likely be a high pressure spray and very noticeable. I would pull the exhaust manifolds and test them for leaks, then pressure test the coolant system on the block for leaks. Both methods can be found with a quick google search. I have a feeling the exhaust manifolds failed and leaked water into the block through the exhaust ports. That would explain why the spark plugs have rust, water in the oil, but still have solid compression. Water leaking into the block any other method would not cause the plugs to rust.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 PM
4stauffers

Great advice! Will keep you posted!

Tags
6.2, engine, motor, rebuild