Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-13-2016, 12:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Did I blow up my engine?

I purchased a boat back in September that needed a lot of work but finally had it running and it ran great for the first few days I had it out. The only issue was that my oil pressure would bounce very quickly.

However, this past weekend I was running full throttle then the engine slowly started losing power. I looked and oil pressure was 0, but it bogged down before I could shut it off. There was steam (not smoke) coming from valve covers, the valve cover breather had condensation on the inside, and the dipstick had milky white oil on it. Another issue that might be relevant is that one of my exhaust manifolds was leaking water. (Might be also leaking on inside??)

Can someone please chime in and let me know how much damage I have done? Will I need rebuilt motor? How much will I be able to salvage off the old engine? Should I replace exhaust manifolds/risers too?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-Star, 1997 X-Star, 1994 Maristar 225VRS
If the motor lost oil pressure and bogged down on its own it might be too late to save the motor... Tearing it down is needed. All accessories will be okay... I would replace the manifolds/risers especially if they are 5+ years old. If you do the work yourself it actually isn't all that expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 01:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Prostar 205
i have done this before and it was a total rebuild. if the oil is milky you have water in it. motors at WOT will only last for 2 or 3 seconds without oil pressure before you start loosing all oil between the bearings. if it bogged down and shut off i would say it seized up which is a total rebuild. even if you were to git it to turn over manually i would not restart it you will only be doing more damage. at this point if it were me i would be pulling the motor and tearing down. usually you can have the crank turned and get some new bearings to match the new journal diameter of the crank. You probably will have to have new bearings put in the block for the cam and you might be looking at a new set of rods if one is bent. Either way i would not run the motor again. look around you might be able to buy a short block already assembled for the same as all the machine work and parts will cost. if that were the case you just switch your heads over and put it back in.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:19 PM
TT Regular

try pulling the oil filter and cut it open to see if there is any metal in it.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:51 PM
TT Newbie

That is what I thought. I would love to do the work myself but not during middle of summer since we only get 3 nice months in Wisconsin. I found a long block engine on amazon with heads for 1600 -300(core charge) = 1300. Free shipping. Seems to be a good deal. Is this a good idea? Here is the link to the engine: https://www.amazon.com/PROFessional-.../dp/B007CXCF06. Or should I just get a short block and use my existing components?

Is there anything else I should consider replacing?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, 5.7L Indmar
Milky white oil and steam coming out of the valve cover means lots of water in the oil. A tear down is required. It could be several things. These three being most likely.

1. Blown head gasket
2. Cracked head
3. Cracked block

A less likely cause is the oil cooler if you have one.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:02 PM
TT Regular

that looks like a good option to me. you will need a whole gasket kit. and if you are at it i would put in a new water pump. make sure that your motor is a standard rotation and not a reverse rotation like is in some boats. if you are set up for it this should only take a weekend. might want to replace the packing on the prop shaft/hull seal if you are at this point.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, 5.7L Indmar
Long block will get you in the water more quickly andif a cracked head is you problem you don't want to use them on a new short block.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-Star, 1997 X-Star, 1994 Maristar 225VRS
That does not look like a marine engine. Marine engines may have a slightly different cam and different torque curves than a traditional engine. At least that's true for 350s... Not sure about the 351

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 02:24 PM
TT Newbie

I thought the only difference was that marine engines had brass freeze plugs. Do I need a different cam on the 351?

Tags
blown motor, engine, water in oil