Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-21-2014, 04:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 X-1
Flashing ECU, engine won't start - Solved

Hi All:

Both a new member and a new (to me) Mastercraft owner as of just a few weeks ago. Glad to be in both clubs!

It didn't take long for me to experience my first electrical gremlin. After only a couple of outings I launched my '09 X1 and noticed an ECU warning flashing on the LCD display. Sure enough, I went to turn the key, and while I got the typical fluttering of the gauges turning on the ignition, turning the key to start the engine did nothing. No clicks, winding up of the fuel pump or anything at all.

While there are a bunch of threads related to ECU warnings, I couldn't find a similar set of circumstances so after checking everything obvious (kill switch, throttle in neutral, fuse blocks/panels, etc.) I hauled it into the shop.

Thankfully, while the solution wasn't obvious, it was an easy fix. According to the tech, there is a 1 amp fuse located behind the kick panel under the console that was blown. My understanding is that the fuse is in the main wiring harness line, and when it blew it took the entire ignition system with it. The tech said he pulled the panel (that the subwoofer is mounted in), replaced it with a 3 amp fuse, and it fired right up.

Hope this helps one of you later on!

Now back to why my fuel gauge won't work. The gauge checked out, and I already replaced the sending unit, but it still reads empty. MMDC? Short in the wiring? Any ideas where to look?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
welcome..congrats on easy fix. if sending unit new and it checks out - most likely MMDC
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 prostar 205
Lost all power on a 1997 prostar 205

On the lake at idle and lost all power and it shut down no lights will work, ignition, gauges, radio but battery is still hot. Just replaced alternator started and new battery 2 days ago. Where do I start to try to find this obviously electrical problem?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:14 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Start with grounds... Fuses on engine
Old 09-01-2014, 01:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X1
Check endpoint adjustments on fuel level sender

EricT:

I had a problem with my fuel gauge reading full all the time until it dropped to empty about 5 minutes before I would run out of gas...

My fuel level sender has a low and high endpoint adjustment screws (very sensitive). First I calibrated the full level and then ran it down until it (visually) had about a quarter tank left and I adjusted the empty adjustment.

It may not be perfectly calibrated but it's much better and is actually usable now.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Hi All:

Both a new member and a new (to me) Mastercraft owner as of just a few weeks ago. Glad to be in both clubs!

It didn't take long for me to experience my first electrical gremlin. After only a couple of outings I launched my '09 X1 and noticed an ECU warning flashing on the LCD display. Sure enough, I went to turn the key, and while I got the typical fluttering of the gauges turning on the ignition, turning the key to start the engine did nothing. No clicks, winding up of the fuel pump or anything at all.

While there are a bunch of threads related to ECU warnings, I couldn't find a similar set of circumstances so after checking everything obvious (kill switch, throttle in neutral, fuse blocks/panels, etc.) I hauled it into the shop.

Thankfully, while the solution wasn't obvious, it was an easy fix. According to the tech, there is a 1 amp fuse located behind the kick panel under the console that was blown. My understanding is that the fuse is in the main wiring harness line, and when it blew it took the entire ignition system with it. The tech said he pulled the panel (that the subwoofer is mounted in), replaced it with a 3 amp fuse, and it fired right up.

Hope this helps one of you later on!

Now back to why my fuel gauge won't work. The gauge checked out, and I already replaced the sending unit, but it still reads empty. MMDC? Short in the wiring? Any ideas where to look?
So, the guy replaced a 1A fuse with a 3A fuse, why- because it's bigger and won't blow as easily? That's irresponsible, at best. Fuses aren't usually hidden, they're located in a place that makes it easy to find and reduce the time needed for troubleshooting.

Ask him what he based his part replacement on. Service bulletin, service manual,....
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 prostar 205
Thanks I'm gonna start with grounds and see what I come up with

Tags
ecu, engine, flashing, start, turn over