Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 Prostar 209
New owner PS209 - prop and trailering questions

Hello all. New Mastercraft owner here and new to the site. I now have a new-to-me '05 PS 209. I mostly slalom, but decided on the 209 over a 197 for the extra space. I've read enough of these threads to know pics are required on this site for new purchases so there you go ...

So here's my problem... Took it out for the first time yesterday. Ran around the lake, three people skied, and headed back. Cruising back to the dock, running at around 30 mph, I feel a sudden loss of power and much vibration. Engine seems normal while at idle and seems to rev up fine, but vibration while under any speed. Guessed that i may have dinged a submerged log or something. I inspected the prop after getting it back on the trailer and notice a small ding. Pics are below. Would this small ding cause this? If so, i would be interested in hearing suggestions for a new prop for a '05 PS209 for better slalom ski performance and sugguestions on where I can get this one fixed to have as a spare.

Here's my other problem... The boat came with an '02 PS209 trailer. I've read about others having trailering problems with the early 209s. The bow eye catches on the front V-bunk if you're launched too deep. Solution seems to be to launch deep to get bunks wet, then come up shallow to get the boat on/off and give 'er hell. As with anything, its a learning process, and I think i'm getting it. Have others replaced/modified the front V to allow the bow eye to pass? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks all in advance. This site has been very helpful to me already!
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Yes that ding will cause the vibration. Pull prop and get it repaired. I had a great experience with OJ (prop Oem) repairing mine.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Welcome. Yes the 209 can be a bear to unload or load, depending on the angle of the ramp. We power off and power on. Lately I have been backing down the ramp, get the trailer in the water get out unhook the boat dunk the whole trailer in the water allowing the boat to float free without powering off in reverse. To load, its idle onto the trailer and give er the beans once hooked up. DONT use marykates liquid rollers, your boat will make it to the water before your trailer gets wet if not latched on.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Banned

Boat: 2006 X9
I have a 2006 X9. When I unload my boat I get the back tires of my truck to the edge of the water and the boat floats right off. When I load it the water level is right where the fender meets the trailer frame on my tandem axle trailer. I have never had any issues with the bow eye hitting anything.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 Prostar 205
KyleNowad, does your trailer have the modified v on the trailer?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icewake View Post
KyleNowad, does your trailer have the modified v on the trailer?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes, it looks just like that but a lighter shade of blue and a tandem axle.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
practice with the trailer at different depths to find the sweet spot - then that all changes with the pitch of the ramp -- if your bow eye hits the v bunk it's bit too deep.

go to ramp during the week when know one is there... and try different depths.. you'll find the sweet spot for depth.

you could always modify the trailer to add a keel roller to lift and support boat... but not really necessary.

nice boat and welcome.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 Prostar 205
I was with him to buy the boat and also helped load/unload. I believe we have figured out the optimum depth, water level at top of fender wells. It is just much much more difficult to load/unload than my 205. The ramp is steep but seems like it is more difficult than it should be. From other posts, it appears that the 209 is a little more difficult in general. Did anyone else find this to be the case when upgrading to the 209?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icewake View Post
I was with him to buy the boat and also helped load/unload. I believe we have figured out the optimum depth, water level at top of fender wells. It is just much much more difficult to load/unload than my 205. The ramp is steep but seems like it is more difficult than it should be. From other posts, it appears that the 209 is a little more difficult in general. Did anyone else find this to be the case when upgrading to the 209?
I had no issue with my X9 vs my old boat (1998 MB Sports Boss 190).

The thing I learned with the trailers with the V-bunks is to sink the trailer to off load and then have it a little more out of the water to load. If it's not deep enough the bow eye will hit the v-bunk.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
No comparison between my old boat '8s190 and the 209. Completely different trailers and attachment process. Like MikeG said, ramp angle will mess with you from ramp to ramp. The sweet spot on one may not be the same on another.

Tags
prop, ps209, trailer