Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
White Smoke/Vapor loss of power

Just looking for some ideas on an issue.

Twin Crusader 6.0 engines, Single 100/g fuel tank. Both engines start an idle fine at the same RPM, Both engine RPM seem to be equal up to about 1700 RPM. after that the Port engine falls behind and pushing past 2000 RPM puts out a lot of white smoke/vapor. It's hard to tell if it is smoke or vapor since I'm moving pretty quick and it blows away too fast to tell. The port side engine does not have full power. Going to WOT produces more smoke/vapor Starboard engine runs perfect, Port engine only goes up in RPM due to the reduced resistance while accelerating.
  • Port engine hours 295
  • Both Coolant levels are still equal and full
  • Both engine temps stay the same (barely above 160 tick when WOT)
  • I just pulled port fuel pump out and inspected and pressure tested (55lbs no sign of pressure loss). I previously had a connector issue but that was fixed by cleaning the corrosion off the 12v pin on the fuel pump.
  • both Oil pressures line up the same. No variations. I did not check the oil level yet or condition, will be doing that when I get home. ran out of time last night.
  • Have not inspected my spark plugs yet.
  • Just got back from a week long camping trip where the boat ran with no power loss or excessive white smoke, trailered it home sat for a week in the driveway put it in the water and then it had the issue immediately.
  • At any RPM below 1700 there is almost no smoke/vapor
  • On separate two occasions in neutral, I brought the RPM up for a quick rev. I noticed after bringing the throttle to idle the Port engine came down about 1000 RPM an stuck for roughly 3-5 seconds then came back down to idle at 600.

Thanks
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375

Last edited by CrashCourse316; 08-08-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
So you kept a fuel pressure gauge on the port side engine while at full throttle and there was no pressure loss?

With your complaint of smoke I would definitely pull the plugs and see what is going on in those cylinders.

Any codes?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
.......... It's hard to tell if it is smoke or vapor ..........

Thanks
When trailered or docked, smell the exhaust ports. A rag or a finger to wipe the inside of the exhaust port at the transom and see if it is oil or steam. I suspect steam...

Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Found the culprit.....and it is the series of unfortunate events

With the symptom happening above I pull fuel pump...check pressure, checked pressure running, checked oil filter, oil levels, coolant levels, check for coolant leaks, pressure tested cylinders, swapped MAP sensors all came back good. This leaves me going to the store for some seafoam and I was going to run a can through and see if it was a stuck injector that would come loose, I still had doubts because I couldn't think that a single injector would cause a roughly 75% power loss. Anyways I'm getting setup ready the instruction. I start the engine look things over, everything looks good. I go up front and throttle up to about 1400 per instructions. I go back to the engine and get ready to spray the can and I feel a water mist. I'm looking all around and I see it. My exhaust dislodged from my side exhaust port enough to move the tube farther up the line into my serpentine belt. The belt burned a hole in the exhaust tube and was flinging exhaust water into the air about 1 foot to my throttle body where it was sucking it in and using water as fuel..........at lower rpm the exhaust water didnt get high enough in the tube to leak out and fling into the throttle body making no smoke at rpms lower than about 1200 rpm. Hence the no power issue at a lower rpm........-_- picture below. The top left corner you can see the exit point that fell off a bit.and the obvious middle where the belt would be flinging water from......
Attached Images

Last edited by CrashCourse316; 08-09-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
good news.... very good
Old 08-10-2018, 08:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Thanks for the follow-up.

One never knows what is going to turn up for cause / effect / resolution.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Thanks for the follow-up.

One never knows what is going to turn up for cause / effect / resolution.

It's a pretty dumb design flaw . They only gave it about 1/2' to 3/4' of clearance to start with. I went down there last night and started trying to get the tube to stay off the belt and couldn't do it by hand,hammer, or ratchet strap.... Will be needing to take it apart and reinstall the fittings back in place. Its insane trying to work down there and move those tubes around...Can't move by hand and there's no room to actually get any leverage with tools. Might end up just taking it somewhere on account of I don't fit. Otherwise I'll be just spending a lot of time down there being angry at 3 1/2" exhaust tubes.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
It's a pretty dumb design flaw . They only gave it about 1/2' to 3/4' of clearance to start with. I went down there last night and started trying to get the tube to stay off the belt and couldn't do it by hand,hammer, or ratchet strap.... Will be needing to take it apart and reinstall the fittings back in place. Its insane trying to work down there and move those tubes around...Can't move by hand and there's no room to actually get any leverage with tools. Might end up just taking it somewhere on account of I don't fit. Otherwise I'll be just spending a lot of time down there being angry at 3 1/2" exhaust tubes.
1/2"-3/4" is fine, if nothing moves.

They make tools for loosening hoses- the one in the photo looks like it would work for this situation.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SL._SX425_.jpg
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
1/2"-3/4" is fine, if nothing moves.

They make tools for loosening hoses- the one in the photo looks like it would work for this situation.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SL._SX425_.jpg
Yea, why would anything move on a boat -_-. But for real, That tool will do what it's supposed to but It's still a matter of going headfirst to the back of the engine while on the side of my body with one arm stuck under me and no leverage room and a exhaust system that was probably put in place before the engine was dropped in. Yay boats. Going to need to pull the boat and break out the 4lb sledge hammer and whack away down there.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Yea, why would anything move on a boat -_-. But for real, That tool will do what it's supposed to but It's still a matter of going headfirst to the back of the engine while on the side of my body with one arm stuck under me and no leverage room and a exhaust system that was probably put in place before the engine was dropped in. Yay boats. Going to need to pull the boat and break out the 4lb sledge hammer and whack away down there.
Welcome to the world of the boat mechanic.

And boat owners still want to fix their own boats.

I have an Astro van and needed to change the spark plugs & wires. Whenever anyone would ask if I had done that, I'd say "I haven't been drunk enough to want to". The task lived up to the hype.