Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X14
busted prop and possible bent strut

Howdy guys -

I hit something underwater this weekend and did some pretty severe damage to the boat. Two (2!!) blades got torn off the prop and I think the support may be bent. I know that the support is slightly bent by design, but how much? How do I know what it is 'supposed' to look like?

Anyone know how to remove this thing? I can get to the nuts fairly easily from the top, but not sure if it will just slide off the shaft or not.

I need to check the shaft to make sure it isn't bent as well.... if it is, it looks like I'm in for quite a bit of work......
Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
That sucks! I believe there are threads on similar problems that you can google to find. Good luck
Old 08-12-2018, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I don't believe the strut is bent by design- rather, it is off-set slightly from the rudder. The actual strut should be straight. I haven't had to deal with this myself, but I've heard that some prop repair shops can straighten a slightly bent strut. You might give Acme or OJ a call. I've had work done by OJ and Henry H Smith, and both have been positive experiences.

As far as removal, you'll need to remove the prop nut and separate the coupler that's directly behind the transmission. Four bolts and the coupler should separate. On the shaft side of the coupler, you'll see another large brass nut inside the coupler, on the end of the prop shaft. That needs to come off too. I think Skidim has the special wrench to get at that nut. I made my own- bought the appropriate size impact socket from Harbor Freight, used a mill to machine it down to fit.

edit- well, I don't know why the image won't post, but the back of the socket has four flats machined on it, so I can grab it with an adjustable wrench.

Socket face:

Also made a handle for the coupler, to hold it while torquing on the shaft nut. Bolt is sized to fit in one of the bolt holes on the coupler flange.

After you get the prop nut loose, borrow or buy a prop puller- makes the job a whole lot easier. If you can't get a prop puller, you can use a 2x4 and a mallet to try to tap the prop off the shaft. You might have to hit it pretty hard to get it to move. Once the prop is off, the shaft should slide out past the rudder.

Good luck!

G