Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
Waterproof Camera - Which one to buy?

Getting ready to go to Kauai in a few weeks and the wife wants to buy a waterproof camera to take along for the beach and snorkeling...but I think it's mainly for the Jacuzzi It will also end up being our boat camera as well. It looks like I basically have 4 choices, unless I get the $3,300 Leica X-U (Type 113) from Crutchfield...

Nikon AW130
Canon D30
Fujifilm XP90
Olympus TG-4

Anyone have any experience with any of these cameras? I'm leaning towards the Nikon but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mahalo

Last edited by g-Dog; 04-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 ProStar 205
I bought the Olympus (previous model) and returned it after a few pictures (my wifes Bday). Not sure if the new version is better, but I didn't care for the pics in low light.

I bought the Sony TX30. The good: small, light and easy to carry. It takes great pictures. The video is awesome and it's the best low light camera I've ever had.

The not so good: It's small, which makes it difficult to handle. It has a touch screen, when combined with small, you can change settings too easy. No wifi.

I've taken mine on the boat, on vacation snorkeling, and pool trips.

The others you have listed may be just as good or better, I'm happy with the sony.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft NXT20
Thought about a GoPro at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
I find the GoPro a pita to download the pics... I'm not sure why it's so hard, it should be easy.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
I have an older Panasonic waterproof camera (TS3) for the beach/boat. Great camera! Might want to look into the newer ones.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
I've actually used all 4 and wont give a recommendation but my observations. the d50 is hands down the best camera IMHO but also the worst for your scenario. For what you are describing IMHO it would end up having problems sooner rather than later. As for the other 3 i believe they are fairly comparable to each other just look at the options that you might want like GPS, wifi, etc... and go with the one that meets your needs they are all pretty good.

Now here is the important part, if you read in the manual somewhere in there they will say you need to send it in once a year to have all the seals replaced for a small fee. Do this otherwise you will end up with a paperweight in about 15 months.

on a side note if you are looking for an action cam look into the yi 4k action cam it is an amazing piece of hardware and compared to the price of a gopro you wont mind as much when it flys off the boat/ski/whatever and you can not find it
Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
I have a Cannon EOS Ti5 with a scuba dive bag. Works great.

Just dont forget to pack it for the trip like I did...

Just got back from Belize and left all the camera equipment in the closet charged and ready to go!
Old 04-05-2017, 11:09 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: In Search Of...
I have the Nikon AW110 Coolpix - Great camera!

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word
Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-Dog View Post
Getting ready to go to Kauai in a few weeks and the wife wants to buy a waterproof camera to take along for the beach and snorkeling...but I think it's mainly for the Jacuzzi It will also end up being our boat camera as well. It looks like I basically have 4 choices, unless I get the $3,300 Leica X-U (Type 113) from Crutchfield...

Nikon AW130
Canon D30
Fujifilm XP90
Olympus TG-4

Anyone have any experience with any of these cameras? I'm leaning towards the Nikon but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mahalo
I own the FujiFilm XP60 - great little camera, but only submersible for 30 ft.

For scuba, I bought a go-pro clone and equipped it with a generic Ikelite red filter. Clone was rated to 100 ft, its been to 125 without issue.

One thing about the land / amphibious point n shoot cameras, better not get a single grain of sand on it. They go bad way too easy. Make sure also that the orings and gaskets are properly lubed and seated.

Have fun in Kauai, I've loved both my trips to Maui and can't wait to go back one day. Fiji is on my radar for 2018 1st.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
Im heading to the Bahamas in a couple weeks and will be using my go pro hero 4 .. I say don't buy anything there are so many easy tutorials to learn using the go pro. It takes amazing pictures and video.