Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 11:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbuffalo View Post
It has been a while since I last dove, but looks like at 20’ you don't need to do decompression stops.
Let me clarify in case there is confusion. Recreational scuba is NO DECOMPRESSION (aka NDL). When you are diving at deeper depths and times (you’d have to refer to the PADI rules), a safety decompression stop is recommended. At 20’ no, you do not need a safety stop. Safety stops are normally done @ 15 ft. When I am on a safety stop occasionally I dip between 13 and 20 if I am not paying attention or helping stabilize Mrs SlalomJunkie and 20 ft sometimes has been my safety stop.

Quote:
Hell!!..... I can remember in my dive training, we dove down 50’, and had to practice an emergency accent. That was really fun when you popped up out of the water really fast. But right after we had to go back down to come up, the right way.

Diving at 20’ is noting, now going 50’ down is a different story.
Your emergency acsent SHOULD NOT have been “really fast,” it should have been at the normal ascent rate of 1’ per second – ALWAYS exhaling…

When you descend, the pressure compresses your lungs. You exhale. Then you breathe in compressed air from your tank. Now, here is why you ALWAYS have to keep breathing. When you ascend, the pressure comes off your lungs, and they expand back out. If you hold your breath, your lungs will over expand and eventually POP. Once that happens, an air bubble can make its way from your popped lung to your head and give you an air embolism, killing you.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 basstracker, 2000 Targa 210, 2007 mastercraft CSX..
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Let me clarify in case there is confusion. Recreational scuba is NO DECOMPRESSION (aka NDL). When you are diving at deeper depths and times (you’d have to refer to the PADI rules), a safety decompression stop is recommended. At 20’ no, you do not need a safety stop. Safety stops are normally done @ 15 ft. When I am on a safety stop occasionally I dip between 13 and 20 if I am not paying attention or helping stabilize Mrs SlalomJunkie and 20 ft sometimes has been my safety stop.

Your emergency acsent SHOULD NOT have been “really fast,” it should have been at the normal ascent rate of 1’ per second – ALWAYS exhaling…

When you descend, the pressure compresses your lungs. You exhale. Then you breathe in compressed air from your tank. Now, here is why you ALWAYS have to keep breathing. When you ascend, the pressure comes off your lungs, and they expand back out. If you hold your breath, your lungs will over expand and eventually POP. Once that happens, an air bubble can make its way from your popped lung to your head and give you an air embolism, killing you.

I was probably exaggerating my accent (more like at 40’), we did have a buddy system at that time, and it was the instructor that came up with me.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
I was probably exaggerating my accent (more like at 40’), we did have a buddy system at that time, and it was the instructor that came up with me.
I was not there when you tested and each instructor is different. I’ve heard of some doing a CESA (controlled emergency swimming ascent) from 100 ft. Technically, it is supposed to work at 100.’ IDK if I could do it. But when you look up the PADI instructional standards, your CESA in confined water is 20 ft and in open water 30 ft, but not to exceed 30 ft. I *think* mine was done from 33 ft.

Last edited by slalomjunkie; 08-14-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
2nd the anchor method

When someone cut all the buoys, we had to retrieve the main line. I threw the anchor line out and dragged it by hand until I got lucky. Good luck.
[email protected]