Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
At this point in may be cheaper to just replace the engine with all the labor costs they are racking up. A Great 510 marine engine (500hp) with all the good perf pieces is $3.5k. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/3802232627.html
Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
At this point in may be cheaper to just replace the engine with all the labor costs they are racking up. A Great 510 marine engine (500hp) with all the good perf pieces is $3.5k. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/3802232627.html
I think that 8.1 and his 8.1 are a little different.... 8.1 in add - 502 ci, his 8.1-496 and LS fuel system.. I could be completely wrong though

Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: ER xstar
502 is not 8.1L, its an 8.2L. there are all sorts of things wrong with that CL listing.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
502 is not 8.1L, its an 8.2L. there are all sorts of things wrong with that CL listing.
Not sure of there work quality but parts are all good stuff. What's the problem?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
I think that 8.1 and his 8.1 are a little different.... 8.1 in add - 502 ci, his 8.1-496 and LS fuel system.. I could be completely wrong though

Tapatalk
If based on LS gen engine you are right they don't interchange but most of the large block engines I've seen in these boats were big blocks. Guess I need to catch up with the times!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Update.. Dealer still recommends a long block replacement. Before I pull the trigger, I'm going to the dealership on monday with a mechanic to check it out and give a second opinion before I fork over some serious cash. Assuming it needs replacement, we are getting a Jasper remanufactured long block which from my basic searches show they produce legit engines. Cost: $5,570 plus labor, appr $2,000. I'm still in shock that the boat ran fine the week I took it in for an oil change and now I'm looking at a new engine.

With essentially a new engine, I can reset my engine hours, no? Of course I'd always disclose boat hull hours but with this type of money being put out, I REALLY want my engine hour clock reset!

If anyone from the Mastercraft company or Indmar is reading this: a 2007 boat with 320 hours SHOULD NEVER NEED AN ENGINE REPLACED.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
For that kind of coin your dlr isn't even diagnosing the problem. They're just throwing parts at it. Guess I would want a 2 nd opinion because the engines already out and one slightly spun rod bearing doesn't equal a new long block.
It doesn't even equal a new short block.
I still say these guys are fleecin ya. Unfortunately

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
Update.. Dealer still recommends a long block replacement. Before I pull the trigger, I'm going to the dealership on monday with a mechanic to check it out and give a second opinion before I fork over some serious cash. Assuming it needs replacement, we are getting a Jasper remanufactured long block which from my basic searches show they produce legit engines. Cost: $5,570 plus labor, appr $2,000. I'm still in shock that the boat ran fine the week I took it in for an oil change and now I'm looking at a new engine.

With essentially a new engine, I can reset my engine hours, no? Of course I'd always disclose boat hull hours but with this type of money being put out, I REALLY want my engine hour clock reset!

If anyone from the Mastercraft company or Indmar is reading this: a 2007 boat with 320 hours SHOULD NEVER NEED AN ENGINE REPLACED.
Honestly, replacing the long block is the easy fix dealer is just trying to solve the problem without actually discovering a problem IMO

Don't just have a mechanic look at have an engine shop look at it a true professionals that can take from pass experiences with marine engine overhauls. If the block isn't cracked there is zero point to get a long block from jasper other than the warranty is nice piece of mind but only covers up to $55.00 per hour for repairs unless you purchase an increased coverage
Old 05-19-2013, 01:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Thrall, gotjag- dealership has gone down this path of needing to replace so they have me by the bals since if I say no, then I will have to fork up at least 1500 with nothing to show for it and will have to start over with another dealership nearby (nautique). I'm really hoping this trusted mechanic my family has known for decades will be able to at least verify rod bearing damage. And yes I will find out what caused such a problem and hopefully the ECM will have some clues. Dealership was totally cool with a second opinion so they must have some confidence that a third party will see the same problems.

To get my mind off it all, I'm heading out on a buddy's SAN to wake surf today but I already know the grief I'm going to get about this saga since like you guys and most level minded people agree that this situation doesn't add up.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions guys... This board is both informative and therapeutic!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
JDL, I complete understand where you are in the situation hope it works out in a positive manner for you