Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
Thanks for the replies guys. This confirms what I thought, which is great. Mike G -- you can see the position of the gash from the first pic -- where the hull is resting on the lift cradle

Since I have some marine tex, my plan was to fill it with that and then put resin over it to seal everything up. Anyone see any issues with that approach.

Hope everyone had a fun and safe fourth - and that your boat was in the water (unlike mine)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
I would not put the boat in the water until it is repaired. That might be deep enough to absorb water and cause more damage.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardycm View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. This confirms what I thought, which is great. Mike G -- you can see the position of the gash from the first pic -- where the hull is resting on the lift cradle

Since I have some marine tex, my plan was to fill it with that and then put resin over it to seal everything up. Anyone see any issues with that approach.

Hope everyone had a fun and safe fourth - and that your boat was in the water (unlike mine)
I would say that would work.. get rid of that corner in their soon to relive the stress... use some good marine epoxy resin - if you don't mine a bit of off color - epoxy with white fine silica should do the trick and monitor.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Take it or leave it.

The gouge is the point of stress, typically called a stress riser or the point to where stress rises or migrates as an easy home.

Silica will do nothing aside from thickening up your mix. I'd add chop strand or better yet milled fiber if you are looking for strength (relative to silica).

All I'd do is fill the gouge (prep with smooth transitional edges) which will repair the damage and be back to original in the manner of distribution of any stress that would be no more or no less than usual without the gouge. No more stress riser.

Marine tex is a polymer based product. Not my first choice of resin filler (it is pervious) but the epoxy resin would serve as an impervious application for that shortcut.

Honestly it would not a big concern to me at this point either way; fix it or leave it until a later time to address. Only thing I would specifically do is add some epoxy resin and call it done for the summer.

If you keep talking about it, you'll eventually get the answer you want to hear.

best luck
Old 07-06-2016, 12:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
There is a really really good gelcoat guy up here in Akron.
He fixed a nightmare on my boat earlier this year....
PM me if you need the details brother
Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
I'm sure everyone has been losing sleep about how this turned out

here's a pic. I opted to go the Marine-tex route as it is something I've worked with before so felt like the learning curve is lower. I cleanded out the hole with a file, smoothed the chipped edges and then filled with the marine-tex. I purposely over-applied, then rough sanded to get close to the original gelcoat level, then used a 3M Superfine softback sanding sponge to feather the edges and get everything super-smooth.

Color match is not perfect but its a small spot and below the water line. I think most folks will not notice it unless I point it out. It passed the wife test, which is the most important one...

Thanks again for the input guys.
Attached Images