Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 01:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 ProStar 190, 2006 X1, 1947 Chris Craft
Outboard or Inboard for Salt Water fishing boat?

Question for you Coastal boaters....

I am in the process of moving to the Boston area. Winthrop to be exact. For those of you that boat and fish coastal waters, what do you prefer and why?

I am in the market for a 25' or larger Walk Around Cuddy or Flybridge, or something along those lines. I am completely open to any and all advice.... I grew up on Lake Superior so big water boating is not new to me. The salt water thing is.

Thanks for your input...
Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
I don't do salt, but having both inboard and outboard. Outboard much easier to flush with fresh water.

Last edited by roadster02; 06-01-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Agreed with Roadster. Outboard all the way for a fishing boat. Especially in salt.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 mastercraft maristar 200
If it is closed cooled either one works great. At that point it is more about steering and leveling the boat.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:39 PM

Boat: XT22
Either will be fine. Outboards are more and more popular these days. But there are a ton of inboards, lots with 2 engines that are amazing fishing boats. A friend had a Carolina Classic with twin inboard cummins for a long time. Inboard fishing boats are not like inboard ski boats when it comes to salt environment. But if you go with an inboard diesel, I'd make sure you know enough about the motors. This same friend had some problems with the Caterpillar diesels in his previous inboard. (I don't remember the exact issues)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I fish in coastal waters in the Gulf of Mexico. For that purpose, I've had outboard boats, an I/O boat with twin Mercruisers, and currently have a single engine diesel inboard. I'll never do an I/O again. I flushed it regularly after every use. Even so, the salt water tore up the engines as well as the outdrives -- and that was only about 3 years after I replaced them. The engines might have done better if they were close-cooled, but the outdrives are still an additional PIA you have to worry about.

If I just wanted a coastal/near-offshore fishing boat, I would definitely go with twin outboards on a walkaround or center console boat. Single outboard would also be fine if I wasn't planning to go too far offshore. I was looking for a 25' Parker before my wife talked me into buying our current boat instead.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Outboard or Inboard for Salt Water fishing boat?

Having fished off a fly bridge twin inboard for over 20 years, I wouldn’t use anything else. The problem with outboard motors is that they can get in the way when you are fighting a fish off the stern. Be sure the engines are closed cooling. Also definitely no I/Os, because as mentioned before, the salt will kill them fast. Outboards would be good for shallow water / bay fishing.

BTW, I fish the Texas gulf coast as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 22' Progression
25' and over I vote twin inboard as well. BTW, most fishing inboards can be had with a FULL closed cooling system. Engine block and manifolds have anti freeze and just the risers have salt water pushing thru.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
A friend had a Carolina Classic with twin inboard cummins for a long time.
great boats. would love a 25 to put on the shore for day fishing
Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 NXT20
My 2 cents - twin outboards for a center console under 28 feet. You will have the extra room in the stern. Any bigger boat, consider twin inboards. I used to fish off shore in the gulf (northern mexico coast) and dad fished all the major tournaments in the gulf (TX, LA) for numerous years, they had to help out single engine boats. Just ensure to wash the boat after each use. Problems with outboard engines - they can get in the way of fishing if you're not careful, and attempting to fix them in the open water poses a challenge - very easy to drop tools into the ocean. Let us know what you decide to get.