Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-01-2016, 08:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 mastercraft 200vrs
1997 vrs restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Yes I'd say you would be wise to replace those manifolds/risers.

Was that boat ran in salt water before? You've got lots of corrosions on some parts. (motor mounts, brackets, etc.)

http://www.skidim.com/Indmar/products/1068/

I agree seems like a lot to me also. Never run in salt Water to my knowledge. However, the previous owner did not take care of the boat at all as you can see from the first few pics. Hopefully, I am wrong but I think when I changed the oil it was the first time. Still had a mc filter on it. Btw thanks for the link.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-Star, 1997 X-Star, 1994 Maristar 225VRS
I think that boat was ran in salt... How many hours? I would look on eBay for 5.7 manifolds and risers... Sierra sells them, and I have had good luck with them... If it had a MC oil filter I bet it was the original. Change the oil and filter... I like rotella-t 15w40 in my boats. Also change the v drive fluid and tranny fluid. I would also replace to the water pump impeller/thermostat/plugs/and plug wires. If you plan to order a tower pm me as I am a dealer for a couple different companies and can beat anyone's price on a new tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 09:19 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespjackson95 View Post
I think that boat was ran in salt... How many hours? I would look on eBay for 5.7 manifolds and risers... Sierra sells them, and I have had good luck with them... If it had a MC oil filter I bet it was the original. Change the oil and filter... I like rotella-t 15w40 in my boats. Also change the v drive fluid and tranny fluid. I would also replace to the water pump impeller/thermostat/plugs/and plug wires. If you plan to order a tower pm me as I am a dealer for a couple different companies and can beat anyone's price on a new tower.

The boat has 380 hours it sat open for the last three years with no cover and a busted sun deck. I did change the oil filter and also changed the v drive fluid. I do plan on replacing the impeller I am going to have to watch a YouTube video to figure that out This is my first mechanical adventure. I am putting on a tower I just want to get it running right before I spend the money I will pm you before I do.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-Star, 1997 X-Star, 1994 Maristar 225VRS
Sounds good. The impeller should be in a brass housing on the crank... I think on your model there is just 4 10mm stainless bolts and pull out the old one and put the new one in. Some soapy water will help it go in. Then Install a new gasket. When you do that also check the tranny cooler (or the first cooler that water passes through after the pump) to make sure there is no old impeller blades or any other crap. It's amazing how much crap you can find in there. People burn up impellers and never dig out the old blades.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 PM
TT Newbie

1997 vrs restoration

so I had to have the manifolds and risers replaced and some other engine work done but it's no longer steaming. I think it's about time to ski. I am still having problems with the altinator. Is this a one size fits all replacement? I looked on Amazon and there were a tun does anybody know what I would need for this boat?