Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
learning to foot without a boom

so we don't have a boom, but this weekend the boyz are getting back together--and we have decided to all try to b-foot one more time

we were all wboarders in high school that would occasionally attempt to foot on a nice night--my longest successful foot was like half a football field--largely we had no idea what we were doing--but we didn't have (and still don't) have a boom to start with--back in the day we either tried to drop a slalom ski or ride a kneeboard on our butts to get to the footing position or just starting supermaning behind the boat and flipping the butt around to get into position (not preferable--we are not going to be behind a mastercraft--the boat we will use doesn't have the same get up and go)

i have been reading about jcovners attempts...but my question is...did anyone learn without a boom? how did they initially get up?--(mind that the tumble turn may not work well behind this boat)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft PS190 1994 GM 350 EFI
try using a kneeboard. get your feet in front of you and stand up when you are up to speed.

much easier than trying to drop a ski.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190 (sold), 2003 Prostar 197 Tournament Team LQ9
i learned long-line by step off. it took a number of failed attempts. i'd say kneeboard or just a straight-up deep-up. Good for you though dude. Too many people are footing on booms these days. almost all those chumps have terrible form because you can barefoot any way you want on the boom without consequence. you won't have to worry about learning any bad habit's if you don't touch a boom [crutch]!

deep-up is still the easiest way to get up imho.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 197 and 2007 X2
I used the kneeboard too.

Get situated with your feet in front of you. Have the boat going a reasonably SLOW speed or you'll porpoise off. When you set your feet in the driver accelerates. You will be pulled up gently from your sitting position to a standing position. At some point, the kneeboard will drop off you and fall back, but don't be surprised if it sticks to your posterior for a little bit.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
I also learned on the knee board. Keep the speed low, say in the 12-15 MPH range until the skier can get outside the wake and in position (feet forward and no porposing). When the skier puts their feet in the water that should be the cue for the driver to accelerate up to footing speed. The skier just needs to be patient and wait for the water to firm up so they can stand. The biggest problem I remember is all the spray you get in the face, back then we didn't know about keeping your knees pinned together to eliminate that spray in the face. Good luck, it should be some good times!
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I learned before kneeboards. We used a disc, which was even a wilder ride when approaching barefoot speed. Most failed attempts come from not having the patience to allow for proper speed before putting your feet in.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Glastron, CSS-16, 1989, Evinrude 120
Age 14, step off of a slalom ski.
Boat: 13' Boston Whaler w/40 hp. No faceplants, just did it.
There's a brief one-footing that you need to do to step off so I prefer the boat is 38mph + for a bit firmer water. Never tried a kneeboard.

I've also rigged a DIY boom for a couple of boats to teach youngsters to ski. We used a fiberglass mast from an old wind surfer. Lashed to the bow cleats and with a ski rope support up to the bow eye. It was kind of whippy but worked for the kids on skis so I took a couple of step off BF runs on this home made boom. I wouldn't do any stunts on it but it was fine for a static pull and allowed a bit slower footing speed.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
First learned (back in the mid 80's) by stepping off a ski, then we bought a knee board and found that to be real easy. Later on as we progressed, we learned to do deep starts. I'd never even used a handle off of the boom until a few weeks ago.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron. View Post
i learned long-line by step off. it took a number of failed attempts. i'd say kneeboard or just a straight-up deep-up. Good for you though dude. Too many people are footing on booms these days. almost all those chumps have terrible form because you can barefoot any way you want on the boom without consequence. you won't have to worry about learning any bad habit's if you don't touch a boom [crutch]!

deep-up is still the easiest way to get up imho.
Ahhhh....another puriest!
I learned stepping off a ski before there were booms. I'm at the point now that I will only give a few minutes of training on the boom to get the proper body position, then they get behind the boat on the knee board. I've always called the boom "The Crutch" as well and I agree 100% that it allows bad form. Exhibit A: My neighbor who says he barefoots.
Attached Images

Last edited by ahhudgins; 08-24-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjoe View Post
I used the kneeboard too.

Get situated with your feet in front of you. Have the boat going a reasonably SLOW speed or you'll porpoise off. When you set your feet in the driver accelerates. You will be pulled up gently from your sitting position to a standing position. At some point, the kneeboard will drop off you and fall back, but don't be surprised if it sticks to your posterior for a little bit.

Good luck, and have fun!
EXACTLY what he said^^^^^
I do agree that the knee board is the easiest way to learn without a boom. The only hard part is getting balanced in the water as you are getting pulled up. I'm 185 lbs and have no problem...just takes practice. If you sit far enough forward and lean back a "little" you can hit 40 MPH with no porpoising! It is best for beginners to plant their feet earlier as you described, but I just get to 40 and stand up. I need to get some pictures this weekend if we don't get hit by the hurricane.