Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-09-2015, 04:42 PM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I have no issues with the 4s even as old as it is. Its a 16gig and I've got about 5000 songs on it just for giggles.
I wish I still had my 4S. It broke. I've had the 5 for a year and a half. The 4S does everything I want it to. If not for email, I wouldn't even have a smart phone, so I guess my opinion matters little.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I wish I still had my 4S. It broke. I've had the 5 for a year and a half. The 4S does everything I want it to. If not for email, I wouldn't even have a smart phone, so I guess my opinion matters little.
What did you like better on the S4? I just upgraded to the S5 (2 days ago) from the S4 and there are a few things I liked better on the S4 ergonomically, along with the universal charger on the S4.

You look like I need a beer!
2001 Prostar 195 Sold
2011 Ski Nautique 200 Current
2007 X45 LY6 Current
Old 01-09-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNX5TY View Post
Only Issue I have had that hasnt been addressed or I have just not found the fix. My phone tries to identify an AUX cable input as a headset and causes voice prompts to cause my music to stop that I am streaming
When I could no longer figure out an issue I had with my S4, I backed up my contacts, calendar, tasks and notes to CSV files and reformatted my phone back to factory. 10 minutes later, I had all that data re-imported and my issue was fixed.

-------

I just got the galaxy S5. Not alot different than the S4, but a few cool things....

1. longer battery life
2. you can delay the send on a text message will allow you to call it back before it goes out to edit or delete
3. larger screen
4. splash proof
5. camera is different, dont ask me how, i am still figuring it out

I am one of those that will never own an apple anything due to itís restrictions and limitations.

I also do not like having my information on a cloud, so I found a great piece of software thatís easy to use Ė android-sync... it allows a TWO WAY sync of outlook items (only) between outlook and your android phone. No gmail no hotmail, no online... phone directly to PC. I like it like that.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:28 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Hi Jim -- My wife and I both have iPhone 6s. We are very happy with the devices. The battery has significantly more life (which was a knock on previous models). We both have Macs, so iPhones were a no-brainer to ensure enterprise compatibility. All-in-all, we are both happy with the iPhone 6.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
What did you like better on the S4? I just upgraded to the S5 (2 days ago) from the S4 and there are a few things I liked better on the S4 ergonomically, along with the universal charger on the S4.
I'm curious too. They are actually pretty easy to work on. I first replaced a broken screen and digitizer on my daughter's iPad so I figured I'd give the 4s a chance. As with most things nowadays, there are ton of videos on youtube for repairs.

A friend of mine's son just got a 5 and from what I can see the two major differences are the screen size and the finger print stuff, neither of which interest me too much. If you are at all interested in repairing your 4 I'd offer whatever help I could.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 prostar 190, 5.7L
For the last 6 years I have had to carry two phones, one for work and one for personal (my company uses Sprint which has virtually zero service here in the midwest so I have Verizon). Work phones have always been androids (razr, dura, now S5) and personal phones, iPhones (3,4,4s,5, now 6). While the S5 is quite a gain from the others I always prefer my iPhone. It is far more user friendly and is very easy to jailbreak now-a-days. The battery sucks on my S5 but i will attribute it to the service problems not the phone. I just prefer the UI of apple products to those of the Androids. Also, for some reason I have noticed that after a certain amount of time the older Android phones aren't supported on OS updates. Apple seems to keep the older models able to update well. I think you can still get iOS 8 on the 4 even. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2015, 09:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '92 Prostar 205
I'm still using the iphone4Ö.it's been rock solid, just charge it every nite. when on the boat I keep it in an Otterbox. iOS8 is running' fine.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:59 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
You can use the same charger with the S5 you just plug it into the right side plug. The charger that comes with it charges faster though.

I switched from iPhone several years ago and don't think I will go back. I find you can do more with the Androids, you can access settings from whatever app you are in. The iPhone 6 feels nice in your hand though.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I've got an S5, but that's more related to work than anything (we make both the touchscreen controller for it as well as the fingerprint sensor).

It's nice that you don't have to worry about screen scratching these days - I've carried mine caseless in my pocket with keys, change, etc. for the last six months, and not a single mark on the glass. Of course, I don't drop my phone so I don't have much to say about break resistance.

The only issue I have with it is the charger - it's a PITA to remove the cover and plug in. My recommendation is to spend the bucks and get the Samsung Wireless charging back for the phone, and a Qi charging pad for home and office. Just drop the phone on the pad, and it charges without any wires - works great for me!

/frank
Old 01-10-2015, 02:28 PM
MC Master Poster

I have decided to go with the iPhone 6, mainly because my customers like iPhones and Apple devices and I need to be current with the apps. I may buy a used Android, just to become more familiar, but I'll see how this one is. My phone was old, as in iPhone 3Gs, so a lot of apps couldn't be updated or installed.

What I have noticed so far:

Camera is far better and even old photos look better-
I knew the newer phones had the slide up from bottom buttons and that will save a lot of time-
Flashlight is actually useful, now-
They didn't wipe all of the data from the last user (I bought a refurb because I refuse to pay $700 for a freakin' phone!) and the iCloud e-mail messages are still there-
I like the larger screen and larger icons. I won't need my spectaculars as often.

I had an Otterbox for the old phone- definitely saved is a few times, since it usually fell on one corner. Still the preferred cover for this model?

Thanks for the comments- if anyone has tips and tricks, I'd like to see them.