Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-07-2018, 08:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5
Rust on Tralier Cross Member

I found some rust on the cross member of my dual axle MC trailer last weekend. There are two cross members both with rust which is flaking off the trailer. Poor design IMO with the member creating a channel where the water just sits.

I do not trailer much more than 400 miles a year, but, my big question is do I take it to a regular trailer repair shop, or do I have to find a shop that is specific to boat trailers?

All suggestions are welcome and anyone know of a shop in the Michigan / Indiana / Ohio area please send me their information. Thanks team.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
Is it surface rust or rusted through?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

It has not rusted through the cross member, but it seems deep enough to take immediate action. The trailer is 75 miles away, I am trying to have pics sent to me to post.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Rust areas on the trailer
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2018, 09:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Yamaha 212
I had a similar issue and took the trailer to an all in one boat/utility trailer repair. He took a hammer, lightly tapped the surrounding areas to listen to the difference in tone. That should be a fairly straightforward repair at any shop.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
Do I take it to a regular trailer repair shop, or do I have to find a shop that is specific to boat trailers?
Any welding shop can fix that for you, if it needs to welded.

In the meanwhile, get a wire wheel, put it on your cordless drill. Remove as much of the rust as you can, see if the rust is structural or just on the surface.

If it's surface rust, use Rustoleum primer and paint. I prefer brush-on paint. You can apply a thicker coat, and don't have to worry about overspray.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrowbot View Post
I found some rust on the cross member of my dual axle MC trailer last weekend. There are two cross members both with rust which is flaking off the trailer. Poor design IMO with the member creating a channel where the water just sits.

I do not trailer much more than 400 miles a year, but, my big question is do I take it to a regular trailer repair shop, or do I have to find a shop that is specific to boat trailers?

All suggestions are welcome and anyone know of a shop in the Michigan / Indiana / Ohio area please send me their information. Thanks team.
You can't bend some metals without putting that kink in it because the outside of the bend will tear. Probably should have had a plate welded across it, to cover and make sure water couldn't collect in it.

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with someone who has been a painter and now sells industrial coatings- his recommendation is to sandblast before primer and topping with epoxy paint.