Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2015, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 XStar
Here is my opinion, if you get any mastercraft with a 7.4 you will NEVER go back to a smaller engine. You can go back and forth all day about all the details, but once you get behind the throttle of a 7.4 something happens to you that you can't put into words. My XStar can instantly jump on plane loaded without auto-launch without breaking a sweat and that's an awesome feeling. I rarely have to call on the 7.4 for 100% of its power but it's nice knowing it's there. I compare it to headroom on a hi-fi sound system. It's rarely used but if push comes to shove it can handle it.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: xstar, Prostar
I had the 6.2 in a '13 xstar and now have the 7.4 in the current xstar. I was not unhappy with the 6.2 but when I moved to the 7.4, I felt it made a fairly large difference in handling when the boat is loaded (launch, turn, etc). Again, I was happy with the 6.2 until I changed.

as to fuel economy, I did not actually track it but feel the 7.4 uses about 10-15% more fuel. I do agree with others that the 7.4 will be easier to sell.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc4me View Post
Hey Scotty, I have heard this argument on TT before and I totally disagree with the point. Just because some people can afford a 100k boat doesn't mean they don't want to make the best use of said 100k. Lots of factors go into continued cost of ownership.

I hear people say the 5.7 is fine, the 6.0 is no different but has less economy, the 6.2 is a little better performance with the same fuel economy as the 5.7, and lastly the 7.4 has power for days but uses fuel like it has a hole in the fuel tank.

Personally I use about 3/4 tank per day on the lake. That's about $125 one day or $250 for a weekend. If that number is doubled for the 7.4, it would cause me to stop and reconsider that option. Not to mention normally a 7.4 comes with a heafty price tag up front. BTW, I wish I had a 7.4 for at least a couple weeks. However I was not willing to pay that initial up charge.

I am not trying to attack you so please don't take it that way. I usually agree with a lot of your points, I just see things differently here.

100000% agree. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you want to unnecessarily light it on fire. Do I wish I had the 7.4? Yup. Would I pay the extra money for it when you won't see much of the up charge back? Nope.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc4me View Post
Hey Scotty, I have heard this argument on TT before and I totally disagree with the point. Just because some people can afford a 100k boat doesn't mean they don't want to make the best use of said 100k. Lots of factors go into continued cost of ownership.

I hear people say the 5.7 is fine, the 6.0 is no different but has less economy, the 6.2 is a little better performance with the same fuel economy as the 5.7, and lastly the 7.4 has power for days but uses fuel like it has a hole in the fuel tank.

Personally I use about 3/4 tank per day on the lake. That's about $125 one day or $250 for a weekend. If that number is doubled for the 7.4, it would cause me to stop and reconsider that option. Not to mention normally a 7.4 comes with a heafty price tag up front. BTW, I wish I had a 7.4 for at least a couple weeks. However I was not willing to pay that initial up charge.

I am not trying to attack you so please don't take it that way. I usually agree with a lot of your points, I just see things differently here.
I get what you're saying, for sure. I'm one that uses the "bigger is anyways better" when it comes to motors. And based on real comparisons between the Indmar 8.1 and the 6l in the x45, the big block out performs the 6l while getting markedly better fuel consumption.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: boatless
I know it is not an xstar but I have an X-30 with the 7.4 and I tracked GPH this year over four fill ups and was pleased with the results.

I was averaging between 5 and 6 GPH. My lowest was 5.3 and my highest was 5.9 and I had two readings around 5.6. So right in the middle of 5 and 6.

We surf 70%, wakeboard 20% and tube, cruise, 9% 1% WOT runs.

I know the X-30 is a lighter boat and probably a bit more efficient than the X star but I don't think the 7.4 will break the bank by any means.

It feels like the motor is barely working when we are surfing loaded down. Does it make any sense that the motor would be more efficient because it isn't struggling? IDK. I'm a doctor not a motor head so I have no clue
Old 08-23-2015, 11:04 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPhil View Post
I know it is not an xstar but I have an X-30 with the 7.4 and I tracked GPH this year over four fill ups and was pleased with the results.

I was averaging between 5 and 6 GPH. My lowest was 5.3 and my highest was 5.9 and I had two readings around 5.6. So right in the middle of 5 and 6.

I know the X-30 is a lighter boat and probably a bit more efficient than the X star but I don't think the 7.4 will break the bank by any means.

It feels like the motor is barely working when we are surfing loaded down. Does it make any sense that the motor would be more efficient because it isn't struggling? IDK. I'm a doctor not a motor head so I have no clue
^^^^ Dr Motörhead , your 1 o'clock is here.

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 08-23-2015, 11:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
You're buying a wake boat. Honestly, if fuel consumption is something you're thinking about, perhaps a wake boat isn't the right option?

I agree with this 100%. The delta or difference is absolutely negligible based on the purchase price and the 3-4 years the OP will own the boat. Then factor the opportunity cost of having the bigger engine....

The argument is valid if determining which engine to buy ("is the 7.4 worth 15K more than smaller engine").

Il
Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Quote:
IDK. I'm a doctor not a motor head so I have no clue
Watched 30 year tribute to Caddyshack which reminds me...... Dr Beeper: We're about to tee (ie. shove) off now so call the hospital and move my appointment with Mrs. Bellows back 90 minutes...Just snake a tube down her nose and I'll be there...in four or five hours.

My recommendation for choosing "right" boat motor is: 1.) Prioritize first, 2.) maintain high expectations for performance based upon your priorities, 3.) be honest w/ yourself if priorities aren't aligned w/ expected performance.
I burn more fuel driving to the lake most weekends than I do boating, so fuel consumption is a concern but not priority when choosing boat motor....

What's the question again??? Something about comparing fuel consumption between 6.2L and 7.4L???
Hey, it's a wakeboard boat, there's no such thing as fuel efficiency in this game! Bigger gonna suck more fuel than smaller...You can MCOCD this all you want, but at end of day 6.2L is ~85% as much engine as 7.4L, so figure you going to burn 15% more fuel running 7.4L.

Yep - I can dumb anything down to my capacity for logical deductive reasoning, but I'll bet you that's a pretty fair answer to the fuel question. Not sure gas is going to make or break anybody buying new MC, but I get it, there's lots of factors to take into consideration that maybe don't register w/ me.....

Last edited by StrmChzr; 08-24-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft x30, 2015 6.2ops
Quote:

My x30 averaged bang on 18.5 Lt per hour, or close enough to 4.9 gallons per hour over the first 75 hours. I guess usage was around 50% surfing, 20% skiing 30% cruising, with a very occasional wakeboard in there somewhere. That's with the 6.2. Not a huge difference to Doc's 7.4.

The people numbers varied anywhere from three to thirteen but had a small crew for better than half the hours put on it. The 6.2 occasionally lets you know its working with a full load although even with thirteen big lads aboard and full ballast, it gets on plane without too much trouble and barely drops a notch on top end. That said, I'd have gone for the 7.4 if it came close cooled, for no reason other than its bigger and badder!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Is there a better way to kill dinosauers than with the 7.4L?

Nope.

Tags
6.2, 7.4, ilmor, xstar