Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 04:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
X23 vs. X22

I know things are getting talked about in other threads, but I'm curious what others think are the real differences between these two boats? As for features comparing '18 X23 I'm only really seeing the switch back ballast to be new on the X22. Is that correct? Maybe I am wrong. Is that going to be a game changer? I know the hull is different on the X22, but is different necessarily better? For those that have or have been on X23 is it a big deal not having the ballast balance out like what I assume the switch back is being marketed to do..??

It seems to me the size of the X23 is ideal and maybe minimizing sales compared to having a 22' and a 24'. Anyone else agree and think that is a fair assumption that the new 22' and 24' is more about sales volume vs. being better than the X23? I personally like the 23' size better as it gives just a little extra size/room without having to go to a larger 24' which typically will need a larger tow vehicle compared to say a 1/2 ton SUV.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
I haven't experienced riding in a boat with switchback so I can't comment on how good of a feature it is. As for an X23 I think that most of your observations are correct, it's a great size and throws an amazing surf wave. I know from initial reviews I've heard that the X22 wakeboard wave is supposed to be very respectable, and that was an area that X23's lack. I think that there's probably some slight differences and improvements in the X22 but overall the X23 was the top selling MC for the past couple years I believe and anyone who has spent time in one loved it so I feel like it will be a highly sought after model in the used market for a long time.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Switchback, hull, interior options/patterns, size. They're meant to fit in the same niche, but I've heard the X23 is more weight sensitive.
2017 B1G Champions
---------------------------------------
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
Thats great feedback and agree that the X23 will be a great pre-owned option. I'll be curious to hear if the switchback is something that current X23 owners realize after the fact it is a worthwhile feature.

As a 43 year old who used to wake board a lot in my 20's when I was in the boat business, wake surfing is more my speed now as I don't want to hurt myself...and honestly don't know that I would know the difference between a good and a great wake board wake. Just surfed for the fist time a few weeks ago and after 20+ years thing it's time for a boat again. Too many great memories from my teens and 20's not to let my kids and family in on it.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Several others with X23's will chime in, but a few experienced TT'ers will describe the finicky wave setup of the X23. The X22 has the switchback and a different hull which may not have the same deep V of the X23 and/or a flatter hull at the transom which might ease wave setup, not fully sure. The switchback on a surf Xstar demo day we had was wildly impressive.

There are a ton of spectacular X23's becoming available now including both leftover new stock and low hours boats with the warrantee transfer available, so if you don't mind dialing it in a bit the X23 still provides a hugely compelling option at lesser cost.

As an example, see Double's former X23 which did it for me. He since traded it this spring for the new Xstar but that is a killer boat at his ask:

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=84052
Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Starboard side X23 surf wave is very finicky. I don't think port side is finicky at all. More just an issue of weight. More weight = taller, sharper wave on our 23. Beautiful, clean wave with 2 and no lead or 8 people and extra lead. Height and steepness of the face are really all I see that changes. Also, it increases a LOT with weight. I don't ever have to touch settings, regardless on weight for port side. Then again, I've never had more than 10 people in the boat either.

I also don't believe there are many boats out there that aren't finicky on starboard side.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X-Star
I have time behind an X23 and X24...but not in an X22. I can only assume the X24 and X22 perform similarly.

The waves behind the two are very different. X24 is super long, not very tall(relatively speaking, itís still a good size), with a more rolled over front section - kind of like an ocean wave that has a really short transition between roller and breaking.

The X23, while not as long, is taller and has more steep throughout the wave with a short roller section at the start.

I personally prefer the X23 wave. It is finicky, but really easy to figure out if you pay attention to the variables. It is my favorite wave so far, but I have also surfed with an inexperienced driver and been very disappointed too.

The X22 should be more consistent and easier to set up. But no boat is fool proof and the transfer tank is only going to help, not overcome improper setup.

If you like the X23 better and donít mind adjusting little things to dial in the wave, I donít see why you wouldnít buy the X23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 08:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 X23 6000GDI - Previous 2014 Gen2 X25 6.0L
Switchback only real advantage is if you are doing transfers in my opinion. I list my X23 slightly to get a the best goofy wave. When I'm in that listed configuration it makes transfers less of an option.

That being said, nobody in my group does transfers. Moreover if they did I just would use the stock wave (unlisted), and do just fine.

Full disclosure- I love my X23. I have ZERO regrets or complaints.

I suppose if I had kids that were serious wakeboarders I might consider the X22. But if that were the case I'd probably skip the X22 and get an Xstar.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 Star
Nor sure on cost difference, but the star is the best of all worlds!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2060 View Post
Nor sure on cost difference, but the star is the best of all worlds!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

except for the transom lounge seating.