Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2016, 05:49 PM
mgs96ps mgs96ps is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: A
Location: A
Posts: 855
Single Battery Box upgrade

So my battery situation was not that great and I was in need of an upgrade. I know that there is way better battery threads on team talk.....but thought I would post a couple of pictures of my simple update.

I really wanted the battery to be concealed, have a shut-off switch, have a quick connect to charge and simple way to check voltage at any time.

Detail of work:

bought a new battery box to customize
wired in a isolator switch
wired in a toggle switch with a 10 amp fuse
wired in quick connect for charger/ maintainer
wired in a volt meter to the toggle switch. (Volt meter will also check alternator output with engine running from the on/off toggle).

Last edited by mgs96ps; 09-24-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Table Rocker's Avatar
Table Rocker Table Rocker is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 2,416
I really like this. Job well done! It looks like I need to start buying parts to do mine.
__________________
'96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:04 PM
mgs96ps mgs96ps is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: A
Location: A
Posts: 855
Thanks TableRocker. I would recommend putting the isolator switch opposite of battery posts to give yourself plenty of room for problems. Also, make your cables long enough so you have room to get top cover on and have room to tighten everything down inside box.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Mhlavs's Avatar
Mhlavs Mhlavs is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Boat: 1997 mastercraft 200vrs
Location: Midwest
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
So my battery situation was not that great and I was in need of an upgrade. I know that there is way better battery threads on team talk.....but thought I would post a couple of pictures of my simple update.

I really wanted the battery to be concealed, have a shut-off switch, have a quick connect to charge and simple way to check voltage at any time.

Detail of work:

bought a new battery box to customize
wired in a isolator switch
wired in a toggle switch with a 10 amp fuse
wired in quick connect for charger/ maintainer
wired in a volt meter to the toggle switch. (Volt meter will also check alternator output with engine running from the on/off toggle).


That's sweet you should sell them
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 PM
waterlogged882 waterlogged882 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 93 190
Location: lake
Posts: 12,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
So my battery situation.........
Swap out that friction grip sash connector for an old life jacket snap buckle. Makes it much easier to get on and off.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 PM
mgs96ps mgs96ps is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: A
Location: A
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Swap out that friction grip sash connector for an old life jacket snap buckle. Makes it much easier to get on and off.
The hope is that I never really need to get into it....unless the battery needs to be replaced. In fact, I have the same type of strap on the inside of the box that secures the battery within the box. The outside strap secures box to floor of boat. If I ever need a jump....it will be easier to go off the starter.

I do think that I will swap out the toggle switch to something better.

Last edited by mgs96ps; 04-30-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 PM
mgs96ps mgs96ps is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: A
Location: A
Posts: 855
I have a feeling that TableRocker is going to put together a box that going to put mine to shame. I hope he post pictures!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2016, 11:34 PM
Table Rocker's Avatar
Table Rocker Table Rocker is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
I have a feeling that TableRocker is going to put together a box that going to put mine to shame. I hope he post pictures!
No, I won't be able to put yours to shame. Mine will be a poorly done copy of yours. I do think it is a great idea and especially like the idea of only putting holes in a battery box lid. I am inspired.
__________________
'96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2016, 08:52 PM
mgs96ps mgs96ps is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: A
Location: A
Posts: 855
Tablerocker, tried out the new battery box setup today. Very happy with the setup and how it cleaned up my storage area. Don't know if you're still considering doing it yourself...but I think you'd be happy with it. Picture shown with battery minder hooked up....and upside down of course.

Last edited by mgs96ps; 09-24-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Table Rocker's Avatar
Table Rocker Table Rocker is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 2,416
I like it. What are the details on the LED gauge?
__________________
'96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.


2018