Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x2 2006 315 hp
Need expert blessing on a setup on tower sound and some install questions

All need your opinion;
I was looking for some economical tower speakers for my X2 06 that currently has none. Something decent but not over the top or otherwise loud. Just to be able to hear some music while tubing or wakeboarding. People on my lake really dont like boats blasting tunes.
I have Clarion CMD4 for head unit and looking to get a pair of fiberglass 6x9 with Kicker KS693's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakeboard-To...-/290764354847
and Rockford Fosgate R400-4D 400W RMS 4-Channel Class D Prime Series Amplifier http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-R400-4D.html

How does this sound? Any better suggestions? I like the look of 6x9's as you can get away with just a pair plus white fiberglass matches my boat which is white.

Also, have a couple questions on the install;
  1. How do you attach an amp on the vertical wall to be close to head unit; somewhat leery to put any screws?
  2. Can you split power that goes to head unit to power the amp? What do I need to run the power to it? Do I need an extrea fuse?
  3. There is three pairs of RCA connectors coming out of the unit, which once do I use to connect to the amp? see the picture - those three pairs are with black caps gray, black and purple.
  4. There is a pair of loose thicker black wires with RCA connectors that look like for a speaker; any ideas what it is for? The other pair with red wires is for AUX that I use to connect iPhone.
  5. I figured I need 23' and 27' of wire to run it to the speakers, is it not too long to send signal through? Anything specific I should know about running the wire to the tower?

Thanks for heads up,
AV
Attached Images

Last edited by avorob; 06-18-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
1) You need to figure out the approximate thickness of that bulkhead and go not more than 75% of that depth into the bulkhead. When I mounted mine, I mounted a 2 pieces of PVC (approx 1" deep x 2" wide x 12" long) on the bulkhead (you could also use wood, but I would avoid it if you can) and then I would mount the amp to the PVC instead of directly to the bulkhead.

2) I would not split the power to the head unit. An amp needs a thicker gauge wire to power and ground (with a separate fuse close to the battery) to get the full benefit of it's capabilities.

3) If you want to fade between cockpit and tower speakers, go FRONT on one set and REAR on the other. You didn't mention cockpit speakers - how many and what is powering those, the head unit?

4) See the diagram for wiring

5) Not too long of speaker wire. Run whatever you need to get up there, but keep the excess to a minimum (not too little though) - have enough to do what you need and maybe and extra 6" - 12" at each end. I have no specifics on the tower wiring though - I have never done it.

Were you going to bridge the amp to 2 6x9's or 4 6x9's or what were you thinking for amp power distribution?
Attached Images

2013 X-25
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
TT Regular

Thx Onewheat

How do I power down the amp? It would be nice if it was with powered through the key position, same as the head unit.
Yes, the head unit powers the cockpit speakers (4 JL 6.5 and 4 small JL tweeters). They are connected through the multi prong connector that is marked with vertical arrow on the diagram.
I was thinking to bridge the amp channels, would it work?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
The amp should have a turn-on lead that would attach to the CMD4's wiring bundle. On the CMD4's 16-pin connector that has all the speaker wires, there should be a blue wire with a white stripe - this would connect to the remote turn-on lead of the amp and when you turn on the CMD4, it will trigger the relay that turns on the amp (which always has power). You should be able to bridge the 4 channels on the amp and run them to the tower. You will want fading as an option - the tower speakers will definitely overpower the cockpit ones and you might not always want that to be the case. Fine while boarding or when you want it loud out back, but when just cruising, you might want to cut down on tower volume some.

2013 X-25
Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 AM
TT Regular

So i connect tower to front rca and keep cockpit speakers connected through the bundle? I assume fade on head unit would control it.
Back to the amp mount; how do i find which screw length to use. I don't want them to poke through. I wonder if I can use velcro?
I see blue wire with white stripe on the picture. I wonder where it terminates. Do I splice it?

Last edited by avorob; 06-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.