Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I always tell people to keep their chin on their front knee, their butt on their back heel and their arms extended. If you can stay in a ball in that position as long as possible, you will get out of the water. I don't know if any of this is by the book, but it is what has worked for me.
I don't claim to be an expert instructor, but this is pretty close to my instructions. Put both feet in the bindings, stick your back ankle into the crack of your heiney, arms straight and around the outside of your knees, lean back so the tip is 12-18" out of the water. Once the pull starts, stay tucked - I show them that you can come up and ski as far as you want in that position; you don't have to stand up quickly. Once you're on top of the water, stand up slowly.

If you're "building a pressure wave", you've probably pushing with your rear foot, which is putting the ski vertical.

/frank
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Once the pull starts, stay tucked - I show them that you can come up and ski as far as you want in that position; you don't have to stand up quickly. Once you're on top of the water, stand up slowly.
/frank
Good advice. I tell people "Try to stay down and you will get up." Trying to "get up" is a big problem for beginners. After someone gets up once, the next pull is almost always a failure. They think "I've got this" and they forget to stay down as long as possible.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i'm a beginner as well. i'm 6'2" and about 225lbs. i double ski'd some a few years ago, but once i got my first wake board, i never ski'd again. last year we did tons of surfing so my goal this year was to get more exercise. i scoured the forums looking for advice and ended up with a 71" HO Triumph with double bindings. I also use the trainer rope. My deep water starts are reliable but not really pretty. the ski feels more comfortable on edge but never unstable. my goal at the end of the summer was to lose the trainer rope but my motor died before i got the chance to try. i'd love to try to ski a 69" as the 71" is starting to feel too big.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
All these are great suggestions. I watched the deep water start in the youtube video table rocker linked. I think I was trying to do something similar, but obviously not quite like that, as it didn't look like water went over his head as the pull started. I think I see though, the front of his ski looked like it was tilted forward, where as mine was more vertical. That would explain the pressure wave forming instead of the ski starting to get on plane.
My truck's in the shop, so no way to pull the boat trailer, but maybe next weekend I might be able to get a friend to give me a pull so I can try again.

Jafo- if you decide you've outgrown the 71, let me know, I might be interested in taking it off your hands, if I haven't found something yet.
Greg