Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Parts & Accessories

Old 05-09-2017, 11:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 mastercraft sands 19 skier
Engine swap?

I have considered doing an engine swap from the 351 to a small block Chevy is there any parts I need besides a Chevy bell housing and flywheel also the driveplate that bolts to the flywheel? I am a Chevy guy and the parts for them are lots more plentiful than the 351. The boat runs fine now this is something that I plan to maybe do over the next off season. This old boat has been my baby for 5 years I am the 3rd owner of a 1980 sands I have the finance papers the owners manual all paperwork from dealership including the hardback binder from MasterCraft the congratulations certificate from MC and all service records and tag reciept from 80 untill present day. I am a little torn as to do this swap as well because the engine is original , when I took it down last off season the bottom end bearings had PCM 5-79 Ford stamped in them , which I checked and was for of course pleasure craft marine may 1979 by Ford. The more I talk the more I realize I probably shouldn't do this. I love MasterCraft boats of any kind. Also how old does a boat have to be to be vintage or antique? These boats are in my mind the best boats ever built . I also owned a 88 prostar but I love the s and s much more people comment on this thing every time they see it or hear it.

Last edited by Badazzmcsands; 05-09-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Change to general discussion
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
I would leave well enough alone!
Your boat is worth way more with the original engine, and parts aren't really that hard to get for the 351 Windsor.
At the very least my guess is you would need different motor mounts, and these are lag bolted into the fiberglass-covered wooden stringers. And that raises the whole question of replacing the stringers if you find that the new bolts won't grab. And on it goes . . . rewiring, fuel delivery, throttle cable, exhaust.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
I agree. Your boat is a classic with the original engine. Repower with a different motor and it's not the same. (Old boat with new power will only appeal to some)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 81 Stars And Stripes, 87 prostar, 04 X9, 07 and 11 X45, 2002 X30
Are you still looking to re power to a Chevy? Call me Keith 408-605-9688