Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
A Dying Pastime?

Had a few great slalom runs yesterday! Really starting to enjoy the new Radar Theory. Man, i love to slalom. Nothing feels quite like a well-carved turn where you feel rock solid on ski with a strong pull shooting you across the wake. Just needs to happen more consistently with a bit more rhythm.

Which brings me to the point of this thread. As i was making the last run at dusk, I thought about how 25 years ago there would be several other slalom skiers on the lake. It used to be my brother and i would put the boat in the lake and before our runs we would observe some others skiers in order to determine who we 'had to out perform.' Sadly, not anymore.

I desire to be that guy who helps keeps the art of slalom skiing alive in this next of the woods. Last night the 10 year old son of a friend who doesn't get on the water much was watching me ski and when i got back in the boat he said, "Man that was beautiful spray coming up behind you." His interest was sparked.

On the way home from the lake i thought about how i want to 'the person' who, as people watch from their decks and screen porches, just might spur a son or daughter to ask mom or dad, "Can I learn to do that?" Long live the slalom skier.
Attached Images

Last edited by LaRue; 07-20-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 Tournament Team #8/100 w/ Zero Flex Mini 2011 Black GMC Yukon XL 2011 Silver Chevy Silverado Z71 Canyon Lake, Lake Austin and Lak
I think that people have been priced out of water sports. Expensive boats and less accessible public areas are some of the reasons. I applaud your efforts and hope to one day spend time on the lake the way I did when I was a kid.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
I think the explosion of wake boarding has had a major impact on the sport of slalom sking much like snow boarding has impacted snow sking.... I definetly do not think people have been priced out of water sports at all.... I see a ton of boats priced well over 100K everytime I am on the water....

Hook Em' Horns
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X25 MCX 350
i can say when i was younger i never wanted to slalom because it wasn't the "cool" thing to do. slaloming was for adults. my sister, on the other hand, learned because she wanted to be like my mom who did it all the time. the only time i attempted to slalom i tried to use her ski and since she weighed maybe 120 and i was around 250 it didn't work out too well. i made it a goal to learn how to do it next summer (this summer i couldn't ski at all due to a shoulder injury), mostly because when i have my own family if my kid sees someone slalom skiing and says "can i learn that?" i want to be able to teach them. i don't want it to die, because i feel like with my generation it really is. i don't know many slalom skiiers anymore
Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I boughta radar theory this year. I Wakeboard and ski, my 18 yo daughter slaloms my16yo son does both. It is harder to get up and hurts more going faster. Truthfully both Wakeboard and slalom are giving way to the tube which takes minimal skill and effort
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccobmd View Post
ITruthfully both Wakeboard and slalom are giving way to the tube which takes minimal skill and effort
What skilll... what effort???

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
This about sums it up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Other
I think that slalom is starting to make a bit of a come back, and wakeboarding is dying. We have a 20 y/o kid smashing records, a 2 new highly praised slalom boats, one of which is new to the slaom scene all together.
At least out here in Nor Cal/Nevada. You just don't see too many slalom skiers on public lakes because the monster wake machines make it impossible to to get good water.Most of us have moved to private sites. Plus all the regulations and jack a$$es now days make it hard to keep and maintain a slalom course on public water.
I don't see hardly the amount wakeboard boats out on public lakes like I used too.Maybe alot of the 20-30 y/o crowd which made up a huge population of the wakeboard scene, have now lost their boats to the bank. The party cove , no longer has tons of boats tied up. Wakeboard tourneys are few and far between here. Wakeworld.com forum doesn't have nearly the amount of trafiic it used to.
I agree , think it has gotten too expensive for the average Joe to get involved. I think cable parks will begin to be the new craze for boarders.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1973 S&S, and a few others that vary week to week
i think the dedication and the time and hard work to be a good skier throws the younger generation a big curve ball. it is a precise art. where on a wakeboard you can "freestyle" and show-out. it is easy for people to say man that was a cool trick. not many people can see the art of making those buoys!!

as for me as i get older and the lake gets more crowded and glassy water is harder to find. i lean toward surfing. but alas i loaned my old connelly concept to a buddy for him to use and i will prob ride it again soon!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
1973 S&S

Look for me on CHL!! I am in a MC of some sort lol!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 W/ LT-1 & Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettmeknow View Post
I think that slalom is starting to make a bit of a come back, and wake boarding is dying. We have a 20 y/o kid smashing records, a 2 new highly praised slalom boats, one of which is new to the slalom scene all together.
At least out here in Nor Cal/Nevada. You just don't see too many slalom skiers on public lakes because the monster wake machines make it impossible to to get good water.Most of us have moved to private sites. Plus all the regulations and jack a$$es now days make it hard to keep and maintain a slalom course on public water.
I don't see hardly the amount wake board boats out on public lakes like I used too.Maybe a lot of the 20-30 y/o crowd which made up a huge population of the wake board scene, have now lost their boats to the bank. The party cove , no longer has tons of boats tied up. Wake board tourneys are few and far between here. Wake world.com forum doesn't have nearly the amount of traffic it used to.
I agree , think it has gotten too expensive for the average Joe to get involved. I think cable parks will begin to be the new craze for boarders.
Thinking the same thing. The last twenty to thirty years has seen a dramatic increase in private ski lakes. That has taken a huge percentage of skiers off of public lakes, thus making it appear like a dying sport. If it is dying, than I will be doing it to the last second
As for the 100K boats, a lot have been either reposed, sold and or can no longer afford the boat and fuel cost.

Last edited by Patrick Hardy; 07-20-2011 at 07:52 PM.