Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #561  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:32 PM
epnault's Avatar
epnault epnault is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
I learned this the hard way when my body literally started to fall apart over the course of 6 months. Lost 15 pounds from diet alone and haven't had a problem since. incredible
True but if you are on a caloric restricted diet (Crash starve diet) and not exercising it is a bad cycle to be on. You want to be lean but you also want to conserve muscle mass.

I have seen it bunch of times. "I need to get ready for summer and lose some weight fast". The problem is you will lose muscle each time you do this and the yo yo impact is negative long term. For example if you lose a bunch of weight this spring with this approach and then fall back into bad habits you are starting in a muscle deficit. At this point you will put on weight faster and at a great magnitude each year.

Bottom line is be realistic on timing and know that being lighter and healthier is a lifestyle commitment that takes a lot of work. Don't focus so much on the scale. Be more focused on strength, reduced body fat percentage, and athleticism.
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:18 PM
slalomjunkie slalomjunkie is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Boat: NA
Location: West
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Bottom line is be realistic on timing and know that being lighter and healthier is a lifestyle commitment that takes a lot of work. Don't focus so much on the scale. Be more focused on strength, reduced body fat percentage, and athleticism.
^^ +1 totally agree with all this

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
I learned this the hard way when my body literally started to fall apart over the course of 6 months. Lost 15 pounds from diet alone and haven't had a problem since. incredible
Awesome - You’re going to feel even better when you drop more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddy View Post
This morning I weighed in at a new low, for a total loss of about 25 pounds.

I usually skip breakfast (but this being Saturday morning, I'm about to go make myself a nice omelette!), and then have lunch and dinner.

Of note is that all of this weight loss occurred without any additional exercise. Over the past two years, I was consistently running for 20-30 minutes about 4-5 days per week. So getting in about 10-15 miles per week. My weight was stable to slightly increasing during that time. Loosing weight is 90% about what you eat....not how much you exercise.
I weighed in at a new low and I am no longer trying to lose weight. 162 is too thin, I had to drink a margarita and 2 beers, walked out the door this morning 1# under goal – 164#.

Omelettes are the perfect low carb bfast. I put onion, jalapeno, cheddar and bacon bits in mine, then top it in homemade salsa. I wash it down with my coffee (whipping cream added), and Great Value “Orange Early Rise” – my cheat for not drinking real orange juice.

You are right – losing weight is 90 diet.


EDIT: I skied [email protected] 22/34 again last night with a legit pull to 6 ball. I WILL RUN THAT SOB - SOON!!!!!
__________________
The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau
Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM
sppeders sppeders is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: 82 Stars and Stipes
Location: Midwest
Posts: 118
I've been on the Keto now for about 3 weeks. One thing i noticed is my energy is always very consistent, and i'm never hungry.

yesterday i was clearing brush starting at 8am and went till 2pm around the property. Not the easiest of chores. I had a keto shake around 9am. I kept thinking i was hungry so i would go up to the house, but when i got up there i found myself drinking water and deciding not to eat. Energy was where i wanted it and i really wasn't hungry, more my mind saying "it's noon, it's 1, it's 2... EAT". I finally got hungry around 3 and had something to eat.
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
slalomjunkie slalomjunkie is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Boat: NA
Location: West
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
I've been on the Keto now for about 3 weeks. One thing i noticed is my energy is always very consistent, and i'm never hungry.

yesterday i was clearing brush starting at 8am and went till 2pm around the property. Not the easiest of chores. I had a keto shake around 9am. I kept thinking i was hungry so i would go up to the house, but when i got up there i found myself drinking water and deciding not to eat. Energy was where i wanted it and i really wasn't hungry, more my mind saying "it's noon, it's 1, it's 2... EAT". I finally got hungry around 3 and had something to eat.
good going... But you don't have to not eat. Just eat/snack low/zero carb items. Hungry? eat a string cheese, pepperonis, bake some parmesan in oven... As i said before, I am eating more now than I was before, just low/no carb items.

163.4 this morning, down 1# from yesterday and up 1# from Saturday... lol
__________________
The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM
sppeders sppeders is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Boat: 82 Stars and Stipes
Location: Midwest
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
good going... But you don't have to not eat. Just eat/snack low/zero carb items. Hungry? eat a string cheese, pepperonis, bake some parmesan in oven... As i said before, I am eating more now than I was before, just low/no carb items.

163.4 this morning, down 1# from yesterday and up 1# from Saturday... lol
More of a "i think i need to eat because it's X o'clock, than actually having to eat." I'm digging it. Pull-ups are much easier now that I've dropped a few.
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 AM
d2jp's Avatar
d2jp d2jp is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 816
60 days in with Weight Watchers App and down to 185 from 197+. Literally zero workouts other than yard work and walking 9 holes of golf (when it's not freaking raining here), so most all loss is from diet not exercise. Carrying my clubs for 9 holes seems easy now and I can't imagine strapping another 12 pounds on my back and walking the hills we have here - good motivation to keep going. Lastly, I'm amazed at the difference in skiing. It's all free-skiing but starts are a breeze and even with no strength or cardio training, I can ski much harder and for a longer time compared to last year.
What I like about Weight Watchers - it's really taught me that it's all about choices. Choices of lean protein, fresh veggies/fruits and you can eat all you want. Foods high in carbs, processed sugars, etc are to be avoided. I love Patron margaritas made with fresh oj and lime - but now I just usually skip the 'marg' and do a chilled shot(s) with a slice of lime. Half the WW points and all of the same tequila affects I'm a fan of IPA's but usually settle for a Miller Lite. And, with less fat to absorb the alcohol I'm a lightweight drinker now, haha. Got a co-worker flying in mid-June for a 'guy's week' of skiing and boarding, so cardio and some basic strength training starts today - and if you're still reading please suggest some good exercises I can do to help my skiing!
__________________
Jack
-----------------------------------------
1992 ProSport 205
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 05-29-2018, 11:24 AM
dvsone79's Avatar
dvsone79 dvsone79 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: '99 205v
Location: Tennessee River
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
Got a co-worker flying in mid-June for a 'guy's week' of skiing and boarding, so cardio and some basic strength training starts today - and if you're still reading please suggest some good exercises I can do to help my skiing!
Im not a skier but Ive had a lot of experience with fitness/weight training. I would recommend lots of body weight movements, like squats, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, etc. For weight training Id suggest back squats, deadlifts, standing shoulder press, and bench press (mostly with a barbell but dumbbells are good to mix in every now and then). If youve never tried them, then kettlebell swings would be great accessory work for skiers (or wakeboarders, for that matter). It will improve your grip and your core strength/stability. Look up tutorials for KB swings.

If youre looking for detailed workout suggestions, I would take a look at crossfit.com (yes, the dreaded C word!) and check out the Workout of the Day. There are detailed instructions, demos, and plenty of helpful comments an how to scale certain movements, etc. If you happen to hit it on a rest day (every 4th day they will program a rest day), or the workout of the day doesnt look like something you want to do on that particular day, just scroll back a day or two and pick one that looks good.
Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM
slalomjunkie slalomjunkie is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Boat: NA
Location: West
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
I would recommend lots of body weight movements, like squats, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, etc. For weight training Id suggest back squats, deadlifts, standing shoulder press, and bench press (mostly with a barbell but dumbbells are good to mix in every now and then).
Agree my soreness after the 1st set of the year was significantly less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
I love Patron margaritas made with fresh oj and lime - but now I just usually skip the 'marg' and do a chilled shot(s) with a slice of lime. Half the WW points and all of the same tequila affects I'm a fan of IPA's but usually settle for a Miller Lite. And, with less fat to absorb the alcohol I'm a lightweight drinker now, haha. Got a co-worker flying in mid-June for a 'guy's week' of skiing and boarding, so cardio and some basic strength training starts today - and if you're still reading please suggest some good exercises I can do to help my skiing!
My recipe is far less calories/carbs than a typical skinny margarita and does not skimp on flavor. I HATE restaurant margs taste of the mix, combined with cheap substandard liquor and cost! I guess Im a margarita snob.

1 shot reposado (0 carbs, 69 calories)
1 shot grand marnier (7 carbs, 76 calories)
shot real lime juice (1 carb, 3.5 calories)
1.5-2 shots of water (0 carbs, 0 calories)
2 teaspoons sugar (8.4 carbs, 32 calories)

My estimate is 15.4 carbs, 180 calories less fattening than a regular coke.

Re: Beer try the Corona Premier 90 calories and only 2.4 carbs, and 4%.

Yes, 36# down now, I am a true lightweight drinking and in the course winds were making me take flight yesterday!

Workouts see the quote above from dvsone I agree with the body weight exercises
__________________
The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau
Reply With Quote
  #569  
Old 05-29-2018, 01:02 PM
j2nh j2nh is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 197
180-185 to 155 and holding, started in January. Feel great! Gotten easier over time, food is a recognized necessity and not something for comfort or celebration.

20+ years ago I quit smoking and this is similar for me. A craving that over time becomes foreign in the present. I don't talk about it, it's personal. I'm a happier person and that is what is important to me.

Thanks again to all of you for your inspiration!
Reply With Quote
  #570  
Old 05-29-2018, 02:11 PM
epnault's Avatar
epnault epnault is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 1,748
I ate a couple big *** bowls of ice cream with extra syrup over the weekend and a few slices of deep dish Pizza. I needed a keto break
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 AM.


2018