Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
seadoo GTI should I or shouldn't I

I just came across from a good friend of mine a 2003 seadoo GTI with only 32 hours on it . I looked it over close . The machine is spotless , doesn't even have any dock rash. It was at their cottage and the wife hated it so it sat in the garage.He is asking $3000 and it has a cover and a trailer with spare tire. I am hesitating to purchase as I really don't know anything about them. Was thinking for my 16 yr old girl at the lake. Keep her from getting bored and off the Iphone. Anyone had one of these.? are they high maintenance ? Good machine or bad ??
Old 07-09-2018, 08:45 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
I don't have any idea if that price is right but I have a teenage daughter that borrows a friend of ours Yamaha. she enjoys riding it and is responsible. and it keeps her engaged with us instead of playing on the iPhone
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Older jet skis are a nightmare for maintenance. Especially with the extremely low hours on that one, 3k seems high.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Seems like a good deal. I just bought a 1999 GTX with a little less than 70 hours on it for $2,000.

2006 are going to be DI or FI, which means working on them is a little harder than a carb.

They are cheap fun. Even a blown up ski is worth $5-900. A new warrantied engine is 1,000 to $1,300.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike koen View Post
I just came across from a good friend of mine a 2003 seadoo GTI with only 32 hours on it . I looked it over close . The machine is spotless , doesn't even have any dock rash. It was at their cottage and the wife hated it so it sat in the garage.He is asking $3000 and it has a cover and a trailer with spare tire. I am hesitating to purchase as I really don't know anything about them. Was thinking for my 16 yr old girl at the lake. Keep her from getting bored and off the Iphone. Anyone had one of these.? are they high maintenance ? Good machine or bad ??
I'm casually shopping for an older ski too. I've been hearing two themes consistently
1. Buy a 4-stroke
2. Lean toward a Yamaha

Our local craigslist is littered with ads that read "worked great last year, but wont start"
Old 07-10-2018, 01:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
I have a 2008 GTI 155 SE. Bought it with 38 hrs on it 4 years ago ($5000 with single trailer) and other than yearly maintenance, it has been flawless.
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
As much as I disdain PWC's when I'm in my boat, I have 3 that we play on, away from the "good water". It allows people who don't participate in the boat stuff a way to play at the lake too. Just last week I purchased a 2003 GTI . It was in great shape and I paid $3200 with a decent trailer. I paid premium for our area, but only because I know the guy I bought it from takes very good cars of his stuff and it looks great, similar to the description of the one you are looking at.

My PWC guy likes 2 strokes but says "stay away from the DI" as the fuel injection seems to always bring him business, and he prefers to take off the oil injection and mix his fuel, although I left this one with the oil injection as I hate premixing fuel.

I will say that this GTI doesn't jump the waves with big air like my other 2 seaters, as it is a little heavier being a 3 seater, but it does ok, its is lots of fun, and it is stable . Its not super fast but it is still fun to ride. If I want to hurt myself doing something fast and stupid I have plenty of other options. This GTI tends to get good fuel "mileage" as it only has one carb.

Just in general, I recommend keeping a spare set of plugs, as they do foul quite a bit, but that's an easy 3 minute job and you are back out having fun.

Good Luck , I hear the water calling and I must go..."
Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X45 496 crusader
Just my .02, stay away. I've owned a few of them (I know ,I'm stupid). I constantly had to work on them more than ride them. I finally got a 4 stroke Honda f-12x, never had to do a thing to it for the past 10 years( other than service). This year @200hrs, had to replace the computer for $900.00, not bad for 10 years. Just be aware of the computer thing. Other than that, Yamaha or Honda are great machines. Just stay with a 4 stroke.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
"Mr. S the seadoo won't start"
"Mr. S the seadoo is out of gas"

NEVER AGAIN
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
I have 2 new seadoo's and have had over 30 various machines, including 1 Yamaha. All I can offer, is buy a 4 stroke, stay away from high hours, water test the machine, check the impeller and wear ring and watch for seepage around the pump. Other than that, I have only had 1 bad one and it was a 2 stroke. The GTI isn't as fast as some of the newer machines, but it will be a great machine for your 16 year old. I only own them to keep the kids and our guests entertained. I find they are fun for about 15 minutes. Good luck! I think its good price, but that is always depending on the market for the area.