Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Video Cameras for Security experts-I was robbed

So Ive been having theft issues recently and I am very pissed off, both with the burglers and the lack of ****s given by the local police department. I just recently had a Diesel exhaust system stolen from my yard, and if you know anything about them they are not cheap. Dealer replacement is going to be around 4000.
I have located the DPF, and the place has the information of the theif. Cops are filing a report "But not much will be done because the value of the stolen goods was only 5 dollars". ****ing clowns. That's right aswell, 5$, because a dpf is not a typical cat converter, and thats all this place would give this guy for it.
Ive also had the boat broken into but nothing stolen as I have yet to install my sound system.

ANYWAYS.

Looking to get some cameras set up.
Research I have done tell me if I want to read plates and zoom in on faces, I need 4x cameras.
Despite being an engineer, I need a system easy to install. Im not the best with playing with a router, and redoing IP addresses ect so I need good support.
So I was thinking getting a 4 to 6 camera system, with a couple 4x cameras.

I live in a side by side duplex, and would like to have a camera pointing
-in my backyard (my backyard is not beside the street, but the one with all the construction going on. Probably want a 4x camera here
-in the driveway 4x camera for sure
-between houses so I can see who is walking around there
-front of the house probably a 4x camera here is a good idea?
-bedroom
-somewhere else in the house

Does anyone have recommendations?
What else do I need to know?
I was hoping to also only spend around 500-600 usd. Is that possible?

Thanks for all your help. Im fuming over here
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2018, 01:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
I am a fan of the Nest Cameras if you have a good Internet and Wi-Fi network ... information stored on the Cloud, good alerts, top grade camera .... easy way to go for someone like me with little experience and very pleased with the product quality.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 06-19-2018, 01:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-30
I second the Nest cameras. They are going to run you over your budget to get all of the coverage that you are looking for, however between both the ease of setup/use along with the quality of the image I will promise you it is worth the extra.
I currently have 6 Nest cameras (7 counting doorbell cam)- 1 looking over the driveway in front of the house, 1 on the front porch, 1 on the back porch, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the living room and 1 in the loft at the top of my stairs. With this I have complete coverage over every possible entry/exit for a thief.

I also have the Nest door bell camera and thermostats which pair nicely with the system.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 PS 205
Get nest cameras and the Abode security system. They integrate together and the Abode system gets you a self monitor security system that is very customizable using zigbee, z-wave, and IFTT technology. It also does geofencing for arming and disarming based on your (& family) phone’s location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
You need to decide if you want physical storage or cloud storage. Nest cameras are great, but you will have to pay for monthly cloud storage to use them. If you get a system with a hard drive, there is no continuing cost once you have the system. The downside of physical storage is a thief can steal the hard drive and thus the footage, so you need a place to hide it (attic, crawl space, etc.).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
I also recommend NEST. Based on the size of your yard you probably only need two cameras (one for the front and one for the back) and that will keep you on budget. The security alerts work very well...Highly recommend this product.

FYI - My neighbor forgot to close their garage two nights ago and a bunch of thieves looted his things. My camera caught the whole thing. They were too far away to get a licence plate, but the police now have a very good description of their vehcile. I find our police are much more receptive to help if they have some video evidence...

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM
MC Devotee

Woah, Im not liking the fees of the Nest Camera. 100$ a year for storage? No thanks

I think I would rather a HDD and Ill hide the damn thing in my house somewhere.

edit. 100 a year for 4 cameras seems ok, but the cameras are 1080p. I was hoping to get 4x resolution for identification purposes

Last edited by Roman; 06-19-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Woah, Im not liking the fees of the Nest Camera. 100$ a year for storage? No thanks

I think I would rather a HDD and Ill hide the damn thing in my house somewhere.
$100 a year, that's breaking your budget? You just got robbed for 40 years worth of storage fees.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Arlo Pro Cameras are completely wireless and offer cloud storage for memory. Easy to setup and great picture.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck View Post
$100 a year, that's breaking your budget? You just got robbed for 40 years worth of storage fees.
Well played...well played.

To be honest I would pay it, but their cameras are 1080p, and I was told if I am buying cameras and I actually want to identify people and read plates that I need 4k in order to do that. Im looking on amazon and not seeing anything 4k for nest cameras. That is my true drawback. Ill pay the 100 a year if it means super easy setup, and free storage

edit. Found the 4k camera from nest. its 299 for 1. Kind of steep

Last edited by Roman; 06-19-2018 at 02:38 PM.