Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 05:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
Leasing a horse barn

I just bought some property that has a riding arena/ horse barn on it. I'm planning on leasing it to someone who will board his horses there and some of his friend's horses. They will do all of the horse care.

I've never been a landlord before though so if anyone has experience doing this or knows about leases for equine facilities, I'd like to hear your ideas on what to do or not to do.

Last edited by tr6coug; 06-21-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I have leased out pasture land for an area rancher to run his cattle to keep my ag exemption intact ... about all I got. Insurance and lease contract waiving liability, have a lawyer write it up (although I hear those are useless if taken to court).
Old 06-21-2018, 12:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MasterCraft Maristar 240sc 454HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6coug View Post
I just bought some property that has a riding arena/ horse barn on it. I'm planning on leasing it to someone who will board his horses there and some of his friends. They will do all of the horse care.

I've never been a landlord before though so if anyone has experience doing this or knows about leases for equine facilities, I'd like to hear your ideas on what to do or not to do.
You will definitely want to cover yourself liability wise. I would post signs that say you are riding at your own risk etc. Google it, I'm sure they have generic signs for this. A lot of arenas are posting these now. If somebody is riding there and gets bucked off and hurt, odds are they would want to go after your homeowner's insurance. You might go as far as having waivers to sign.

Some insurance companies are kind of funny about it, it can be a real liability issue. I don't want to talk you out of it or anything because there are a ton of people doing it with no problems. It only takes one though, might as well try and cover your a**.

If there are any nearby boarding facilities, it might be worth asking them what they do. Good luck and congrats on your new purchase.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
You will definitely want to cover yourself liability wise. I would post signs that say you are riding at your own risk etc. Google it, I'm sure they have generic signs for this. A lot of arenas are posting these now. If somebody is riding there and gets bucked off and hurt, odds are they would want to go after your homeowner's insurance. You might go as far as having waivers to sign.

Some insurance companies are kind of funny about it, it can be a real liability issue. I don't want to talk you out of it or anything because there are a ton of people doing it with no problems. It only takes one though, might as well try and cover your a**.

If there are any nearby boarding facilities, it might be worth asking them what they do. Good luck and congrats on your new purchase.
Thanks that's good advice. I have already talked with my insurance guy and I think I'm set.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Besides insurance you may want to set some ground rules for when people can come out and visitors allowed. You don't want someone bring out half a dozen kids that could run around and get hurt. We don't allow any boarders simply because horse people are nuts and may show up at all hours of the night checking on their babies. I would also ask for policies on trailer storage, damage repair, fly control and manure disposal.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmcnair View Post
Besides insurance you may want to set some ground rules for when people can come out and visitors allowed. You don't want someone bring out half a dozen kids that could run around and get hurt. We don't allow any boarders simply because horse people are nuts and may show up at all hours of the night checking on their babies. I would also ask for policies on trailer storage, damage repair, fly control and manure disposal.
Also great ideas. Just met with an attorney today and included your suggestions. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
See if your home state has this -

http://www.texashorsemansdirectory.com/thdlaw.htm

When we ran horses I had the signs posted on the property.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
We have a lot of horse arenas in our area, one of which is my neighbor. Like someone else mentioned, controlling when people come and go to a degree would be helpful and also make sure you are accounting for the way people will access the barn year round. My neighbors drive is very long a single car/trailer width and runs right past his house. I can barely see his drive but I can say that folks are constantly coming and going and it would drive me nuts to have that going past my house all the time.
He has a good bit of driveway upkeep and being that we get snow, he has to always make certain someone is around to plow the drive.

Always something to think about with this type of venture as the annoyance can quickly overtake the money you make.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
See if your home state has this -

http://www.texashorsemansdirectory.com/thdlaw.htm

When we ran horses I had the signs posted on the property.
Yeah, Oregon has a similar law. Need to research and see what type of posting/signage I need.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Always something to think about with this type of venture as the annoyance can quickly overtake the money you make.
Agreed. Thanks for the ideas. Fortunately my barn is accessed away from my house and it has a separate parking lot, so I think it will be OK.

I think I'll give this lease thing a year and see how I feel about it at that time.