Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-12-2018, 12:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
89 Prostar Reskin???

I've stripped my original skins and deciding between a few different skin makers to work with me. None of the places have templates for my '89, so they asked me to ship my skins to them for the template. I'm replacing all of my vinyl and only changing a few details/patterns, but nothing outrageous.

My question is: has anyone recently had skins done by a 3rd party (i.e. Viper, The Upholstery Shop, Boat Interior Designs) and installed by your local upholstery shop? I'd like to hear the good and the bad of both sides of this equation. I'm on a pretty tight budget $3k - $3.5k and don't want to get hit with any surprises. I've owned this one for 25 years and it needs an update, but as you all know, this is a large investment vs. the total value of the boat.

Appreciate any insight you all might have. Attached pictures of my pile of skins for fun and Pic of the "Master Raft". It got the nick name when the "C" fell off one of the sides when I was on a big weekend trip. My friends with the $100K boats wouldn't let it go!
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'm very interested in seeing how this works out for you (and best of luck, of course). A TT member stated in another thread that he could get an entire vDrive interior done in Texas for $3500 to $5K so based on that I'm interested to see where you'll end up. I've also heard other members state several times on this board that they've had their ProStars done for $3500 so it's quite possible you may be able to have it completely done and walk away within budget.

The challenge I've always had is finding someplace that will do the job so the boat looks like it came out of the factory with the replacement interior they put in. A big part of that is going to be the materials they use, how accurately they'll be able to reproduce the skins and the quality of the installation. There's a lot of moving parts when you have the skins made remotely and another shop install someone else's work. If something goes sideways I can just imagine the finger pointing that will occur. There's a lot to be said for the "one throat to choke" approach to a project.

The other issue I'd have with the remote option is how are you going to tell what materials you're getting and what the colors are going to actually look like without seeing/touching them in person? If I were going this far with the project I'd really like to know exactly what I'm getting and how the work was being done.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Great feedback bturner2, appreciate it. I got sample materials sent to me to pick out colors, textures, etc, and I marked up pictures and the actual skins themselves to indicate what iím looking for with respect to style so Iím not super concerned about that, though I know there is still room for mis-communications.

My big problem is I live in the Bay Area (NorCal) and the least expensive quote I received (and Iíve shopped many many upholstery shops though out NorCal) for replacing all of the vinyl is $6,000 (regardless if I wait for Winter season). The quotes I received for 3rd party skins range from $1,700 yo $2,000 and take about 2-3 weeks once they receive my old skins. The local shop estimates install at around $1,000 (again, I think youíre right that the new skins wonít be exactly right and heíll have to do Ďextraí work for fit up).

Iíll keep the forum posted over the next 6 weeks as this shapes up. Again, thanks for the feedback
Old 06-12-2018, 02:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Definitely let us know how it comes out. Living in norcal, I hear you as to prices. They are astronomical. Add that to the fact there isn’t a m/c experienced place out here (like viper was) that gives you some assurance that everything will look OEM quality after install, I’ve been thinking the same thing. Retired so plenty of time on my hands but I think having someone experienced at installing the skins is probably critical to a good outcome so will be interested in who you use and how it works out.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
I did it with copycat covers. Others had a difficult time with them, My experience was fine.

I installed the new skins myself. Other than it being a PIA factor, it was straight forward and it turned out great.

Pros:
-way cheaper than other alternatives. It cost me around $1,100 compared with local quotes of up to $5,000 to do a complete job.
- Very high quality foam backed vinyl.

Cons:
- I had one skin that was too tight on the seat cushion of the back seat. If it was closer I would have had it remade. It was workable but not ideal. the rest of the skins fit perfectly.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
you could ship your boat across country to Viper and have it done right for less that $6,000...
Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
So are you saying that Viper will do the interior for $5K - $6K or that all in including shipping he'd be all in for the $5K - $6K? What is shipping to get a boat from Nor Cal to TN?

I find it very interesting the difference in price for interior work across the country. Based on what I'm reading our prices here in Michigan are very similar to that in Nor Cal. Wonder if So Cal would be any better. Might be worth a 6 hour drive or shipping for a shop that's much closer.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
You can also get a better price over the winter usually....in the spring the shops are full.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX 5.7
I just had my complete interior done for $2800. Iím in Texas as well. Shop did a great job.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Viper quoted me around 3 for my 89 prostar