Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Replacing Distributor Cap, Rotor and ???

Can anyone give me the part's to get from local auto store? Need to get this done quickly. Also, do I need to replace anything else? Coil?

This is not in my wheelhouse so learning on the fly.

Boat is 89 Prostar 190 with electronic ignition.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
What is the issue you're having?

Distro cap and rotor are super easy. I did the plugs, cap, and rotor on a 2003 four winns that was having some firing issues and it was like I waved a magic wand at the thing. I would say take off your cap and rotor and pull a few spark plugs to check and see how they look. The cap and rotor should both have a part number on them. Take a look at the plugs and see if it looks like you need new ones, or if you know they probably haven't been changed in like more than 10 years probably just get new ones unless your on a tight budget and want to get ever penny out of the old ones. Take those to the parts shop of your choice and they will do a lookup in their system for a replacements. Also it helps having the part with you because you can compare in the store and verify its the right part and not made for a different engine or something that wont fit.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Just changed carb and new plugs. No fire. Haven't ever changed cap and rotor and they are toast. Was hoping to not have to remove them to take to a store.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmcnair View Post
Just changed carb and new plugs. No fire. Haven't ever changed cap and rotor and they are toast. Was hoping to not have to remove them to take to a store.
'89's didn't come with electronic ignition so I'm assuming you or a previous owner installed that? No spark could be a few things including the electronic ignition module. Leaving the key in the "on" position for an extended period can burn out the EI module (ask me how I know). You could also have a faulty coil. Here's a thread where I got some good help here on a no spark issue with my new-to-me '92: https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=75988

The cap and rotor are an easy replacement. Just be sure to put the plug wires on the correct terminals, and double check they are connected to the right plug. Loosen screws holding cap, remove. Pull off rotor and replace with new. Install new cap, move wires one-by-one from old cap to new and tighten screws.
Name:  VzUcjWD.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  AcNd2kU.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  59.3 KB
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 06-11-2018, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmcnair View Post
Gotta take it off anyways.

Went on rock auto for the 89' ford 351, Assuming that is your engine, the part numbers on here should be correct unless the marine version had some special setup.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tor+rotor,7136

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...butor+cap,7120

Also yea, are you sure its the cap/rotor causing no firing...usually the cap/rotor will cause problems and rough running but not usually no firing at all unless it just sat and corroded away without being run for a long time. I could be wrong, i'm no mechanic.