Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197, fully loaded, full chrome, double axle trailer and monster stereo mondifications
Send a message via MSN to thomasr7 Send a message via Yahoo to thomasr7
I thought I bought a Boat - not a submarine

Last April, I purchased a new ProStar 197. It was a cancelled order boat with the MCX engine in it. It was somewhat unique (white with red hull) and I customized just about everything I could with it (mini tower, chrome exhaust, chrome dash, chrome pylon, added a 1200 watt stereo, put in 2 qty 10" sub woofers by the drivers feet and more). After all of my add-ons and stereo the boat was easily over $50,000. The boat worked great last year A few weeks ago I had the dealer swap out my 18 gallon gas tank for a 25 gallon tank that was supposed to come with the boat. When I went to use it the gas gauge didn't work so they shipped me another one (which was the wrong one - but that isn't the real story here). I skied on the boat 2 times in June because I had to work alot in May and then went to Dale Hollow in Kentucky to rent a house boat and we took 3 mastercrafts with us. We arrived on Friday, 6/17/05 in the afternoon and everything went fine until Wednesday 6/22/05 at about 11:30pm. I drove the boat over to the other side of the lake with 2 of the guys I was down there with to meet up with some women we had met at a camp ground. We picked them up and drove away from shore and just circled and stopped occasionally while some of them went swimming (I stayed in the drivers seat and talked). About 30 minutes after we left shore I felt water at my feet (coming up through the drain hole and realized we were in trouble). I quickly opened the engine cover expecting a hose to be cracked and see water spraying around or coming out somewhere but it seemed fine. It was dark so I couldn't of course see that the water was very deep in the engine box. We were around 300 yards or so from shore with 7 in the boat so I turned the boat toward shore to try and beach it before it went down but the engine quit in just a few seconds. I yelled to everyone to get It seemed like within a minute or two the boat ended up filling up with at least 6" of water in the front of the boat and at least 10" or more of water near the back of the boat. I am guessing whatever happened to fill the boat with water eventually put enough water in the boat to lower it to where it reached the exhaust outlets (which are much lower to the water than my old 1989 prostar 197). When it reached that level, the problem multiplied and it started sinking faster. I yelled to everyone to get out of the boat and start swimming it toward shore (needless to say anxiety was very high at this point). We were eventually able to get a boat (full of water) pushed up against the shore and the bilge eventually emptied the water (along with using coolers from people on shore and ones we had in the boat to bail as well). After about a hour or so we took one of the girls Malibu (which did float!) off its trailer and pushed my boat up on the trailer and pulled it out of the water. I dug up a wrench to take out my drain plug to drain out the remaining water, slept in the front seat of the girls truck, waited 5 hours for morning, and then went back to pick up my trailer. I left the boat alone until I called my dealer the next morning. Per their instructions I drained the oil (which was almost all water), pulled the plugs, and sprayed in oil on the heads, and then filled it back up with oil and then drove it back home and dropped it off to the dealer this past Monday.

After 3 days of taking the motor apart, etc. the dealer indicated that "water getting into the boat caused a rod to push thru the oil pan". To this point they have not been able to tell me how water got into the boat and informed me if they can't figure it out, warranty will not cover anything. The insurance company, of course, will only cover things if you hit something (which I did not) or if something is stolen.

They have yet to pull the gas tank to fully inspect the chrome exhaust that was installed by the dealer when I purchased the boat but say they have pressure tested it and it seems fine. The rubber hose on the left exhaust comes over the exhaust but doesn't come right up to the back of the boat like it does with the right exhaust (about 4"-4.5" of exposed metal is showing) but they indicated there is still 3" of overlap and both clamps seem to be holding fine.

Tomorrow they said they are going to take the boat to a lake and float it and see if anything leaks. This is, of course, with the engine out of the boat because it is broken and can't be run in the same manner to replicate the situation.

If nothing leaks I don't know what I am going to do. It sounds like the dealer will be saying there is nothing they can do. All I know is:
1) I have owned boats for over 20 years and have never run into anything like this.
2) I am "anal" about maintaining my boats so there is no way I did anything to cause the boat to sink.
3) I am worried they won't be able to reproduce the problem and will stick me with the repairs.

No matter what happens financially I also will be constantly worrying if they can't find out what caused the problem. I will almost certainly purchase a $50.00 high water alarm to give me some warning about this in the future. I don't have the measurements to calculate the weight of the water but I can only assume that by the time the water gets up to the hole by the drivers seat it is too late and the water will reach the vents in the back before you can do anything.

I have been such a huge mastercraft supporter for years and just have an awful feeling in my gut right now that I will be left high and dry. If the dealer and/or mastercraft doesn't figure this out and deal with the situation I can't see any other option than to fix the boat with the least amount of cost, sell it, and purchase a different brand from hear on out.

/Frustrated

P.S. I am also going to be out over $1000.00 in stereo amplifiers and sub woofers I installed that were all partially underwater.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-20-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:25 PM
RedStar

Sorry to hear about your boat. That does suck, for real.

Last edited by RedStar; 02-18-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:35 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2017 PS
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
does your boat have a shower or heater?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Was Sunset Dock or Obey River Campground involved???? Really sucks about your ordeal but I can't belive insurance wouldn't cover it.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Leroy

That's really bad to hear Scott. You did not find out what let the water in? Has to be a leaking hose or the exhaust pipe came loose. Knowing what put the water in there will take you a long ways toward the solution. you need to read H20GIRL's thread on similar situation.

Don't forget to change the transmission fluid.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Insurance would cover it if it was stolen huh?

Sounds like a good job for some guys I use to know.

Sorry about your problems....I hope it gets better.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Leroy

Hopefully not the same, but sounds similar.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...&page=25&pp=10
Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
The water getting into the boat caused you to throw a rod through the oil pan...? Tha doesnt sound right to me. While you had the boat out, did you knock the throttle accidentally to where it might have put extreame stress on the engine. Even so, if that did happen, 6000 RPM in Nuetral could be enough to throw a rod while the boat is in nuetral. As for the water getting in, im stumped, the rod didnt go through the hull did it? I just thought of this... do you have balast in your boat? Keep us posted.

Last edited by SKI*MC; 06-30-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Was the boat running while taking on water?

Last edited by bcampbe7; 07-01-2005 at 12:54 AM.