Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft X-7
Good luck with your claim.Being that it was sea water,I'm sure it will be a total.As far as my boat goes,the engine and most electronics were replaced and she's working fine for now.I'll keep you guys informed on the long term outcome.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Ok, just my 2 cents, but honestly, if you ever plan to sell the boat, you would have to disclose that to sleep at night I would think - let them total it.

I truly hate to hear something like this
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionMan View Post
When you put the pole in, it's a tepee.
What you really mean is that the entire weight of the water on the cover is borne by the 2" diameter reinforced hole that rests on the pole. Great idea for rain, where it rolls off before it builds up; not so good for a buried bow.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Sporkcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawly View Post
Good luck with your claim.Being that it was sea water,I'm sure it will be a total.As far as my boat goes,the engine and most electronics were replaced and she's working fine for now.I'll keep you guys informed on the long term outcome.
Having an insurance claim or just making major repairs isn't going to lower the value of your boat, if everything is in working order, not harm not foul, cars get wrecked and flooded all the time and just because there was a claim doesn't mean it's worth less. I have seens some cars that were flooded be nightmares and cars that dont have a scratch on them be nightmares. it's all a risk but one you have to make. There is no law that says you have to disclose repairs made either by you or an insurance company, just your good judgement, after all it's a used item.

Last edited by Spork; 07-14-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-15
Wow! Speechless after that one.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 LT1
Sorry to hear about this. Will it be the same? I don't think so. Ever. Fix it, try to get something else..
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 1995 200VRS
I'm optimistic, it can be done. But it's a lot of time - it's not a weekend's worth of work.

Mine was sunk in fresh water and the gas line cut - 20 gallons of fuel sitting for 4-8 hours tied to a public dock (the only thing keeping her from the bottom).

You say the engine is being replaced, that covers a lot of the "never the same"; as well as the electronics (wiring harness is a must), starter, alternator, etc. I did not replace my engine, but pickled it and several oil changes. Removed all interior. We removed staples from one sometimes two sides of each of the interior pieces to get the foam to dry out. Completely soaked the cushions in bleach/water - then dried. Replaced the carpet. Really went to town cleaning all the dash wiring, etc with electrical cleaner (several cans). Several new switches, wiring, bilge pump, etc. Changed transmission and V-drive oil 5-6 times.

Completely sanded down interior and exterior with 1200 grit and buffed out using compound and polish on all fiberglass surfaces.

I have it running now and put back on the water, but think I blew a head gasket. Replacing the engine seems to be a good call in the long-run. I will replace the head gaskets. Interior and exterior wise, the boat is better than pre-sunk condition. Transmission and V-drive I would say "90%" (it whines more than it used to). The engine would say 50% at this point. Gauges and dash all work as before and it's been a year.