Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft X-7
Swamped my X-7

While learning how to drive the course,my 20 year old daughter hit reverse at the end of the course when the boat was settleing back into the water.The nose dove in(2005 Mastercraft x-7(197)and filled the boat with water.The wall of water knocked the mirror off the windshield,and bent the bimini, when the boat stopped running(it was still going in reverse under water)the water level was at the top of the gunnels.Witness marks show that the intake manifold was under water.Perfect pass and stereo were both in operation.The engine is being replaced because of 2 busted rods.Most but not all electronics are being replaced.The boat is drive by wire.Long story short,that was over 2 months ago and after jacking me around for what seems forever,my local Mastercraft mechanic seems to want to keep the parts total under the insurance companies set price to total out the boat.I love the boat,but will it ever be the same?Any insurance guys,or mechanics out there.If repaired,the value of the boat surely must be lower now.This happened in fresh water. Looking for advice,thanks in advance Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768
This is close to what happened,but our situation was worse
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Dang, sorry to hear that. Is she up for adoption now?

'91 prostar 190
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost...er=2572&sort=1

Brought one back from the grave once myself... It can be done with a LOT of hard work especially if you are a mechanically inclined person.

Re-sale value is not a concern in my situation because I plan on being buried in this boat when I am dead and gone!

Mines been back on the water 3 seasons now, just need to finish the interior!
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawly View Post
While learning how to drive the course,my 20 year old daughter hit reverse at the end of the course when the boat was settleing back into the water.The nose dove in(2005 Mastercraft x-7(197)and filled the boat with water.The wall of water knocked the mirror off the windshield,and bent the bimini, when the boat stopped running(it was still going in reverse under water)the water level was at the top of the gunnels.Witness marks show that the intake manifold was under water.Perfect pass and stereo were both in operation.The engine is being replaced because of 2 busted rods.Most but not all electronics are being replaced.The boat is drive by wire.Long story short,that was over 2 months ago and after jacking me around for what seems forever,my local Mastercraft mechanic seems to want to keep the parts total under the insurance companies set price to total out the boat.I love the boat,but will it ever be the same?Any insurance guys,or mechanics out there.If repaired,the value of the boat surely must be lower now.This happened in fresh water. Looking for advice,thanks in advance Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768
This is close to what happened,but our situation was worse
I would be at that dealership begging and pleading with him to get the costs as HIGH as possible. No way would I be OK with a boat that sank while the motor was running. My dad's friend lost a boat at the dock after it's first 10 hour service. The insurance company gave him $20k to settle and he kept the boat. He used part of the $20k to put in a new ECM & Stereo and pocketed the rest. The boat never ran the same and he had problems until the day he ran it in to a retaining wall. Long story and history on that boat!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
TT Newbie

She's not up for adoption yet,has to stay at home until she finishes college,or were you talking about the boat.She is a beautiful white and light blue combo with the MCX engine.Heading off to the lake,but opinions from insurance guys or mechanics would be appreciated.
Thanks Steve
Old 09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Sorry to hear - I have heard this happening before but not to that extent - I have had some slop come over in my 1992 190 but for the most part like having the closed bow - maybe why you see the 197TT with the canvas in place on the bow in tournaments. I have never heard a good story about a sunk or flooded boat - I would take the cash and move on.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Boat: 40th Anniversary X14
I can't imagine your situation being worse. Sorry it happened. I'd prefer that boat be totalled in this case.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1997 Prostar 190, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars & Stripes
Damn! It's amazing how things can go so wrong, so fast, when boating. You really gotta know what you're doing and have LOTS of experience. I feel sorry for your daughter, bet she feels pretty bad, but mistakes happen. Glad nobody got hurt.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks guys,
Still waiting to hear from the insurance people.I'm with Allstate,and they've been very good in the past.Hopefully they'll come through on this one.Yeah,I'm just lucky nobody got hurt.I showed the above video to my daughters who were in the boat,and they said"yeah,that's about what happened,but they got knocked around a little harder".I was at the other end of the lake,and heard them screaming.The boat was floating way to low in the water,so I hopped in the car,and was just glad to see no blood when I got down there.I thought maybe they hit the turn island or something like that.The worse part was when the daughter who was the passenger started to cry when I said"oh well,there goes our summer".I still ski mid week and some weekends with my ski partners up at the lake,but the kids have only been up a few times this summer.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:04 PM
TT Newbie

Talked to agent yesturday.They want to pay $16,000 and have me pay $3,000 of the bill to cover the depreciation of the replaced parts.New engine and most electronics.I'm concerned that they are having me pay that on top of my $250 deductable to rebuild a boat that will be worth much less than it was before the accident.Allstate seems to be going down hill from when I originally started doing business with them 25 years ago.Is this typical of the insurance industry?Should I take the deal,or hire an arbitration lawyer to fight to get the boat totalled?I'm afraid of problems down the road.And I will have to sell this as a salvaged vehicle down the road.
Thanks Steve