Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-17-2018, 09:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197 Prostar 40th Anniversary
Metal Flake

I'm sure there's a dozen or so threads about this somewhere but figured i would just get my own and instead of searching through them all i would just make life easy and ask the experts myself

Buffing small scratches in metal flake.....It seems to be something that some people will say go for it and be careful and then others like a friend of mine who says absolutely not don't even go there. This same friend said that he would just get clear gel coat and a fine paint brush and fill them in that way to hide them. They really aren't that bad, it's really more so dock rash but i know my MCOCD will probably kick in and it's going to annoy me.....

Thoughts, procedures, etc would be very helpful!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
pics of the scratches... without that your it isn't bad is someones OMG...
Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
It depends on the depth of the scratches. If they are through to the flake you are out of luck; if there is enough of the clear gel/epoxy left over the flake then it can be wet sanded, compounded and polished.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
zzzzzzzzzzz
John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-18-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
...... without that your it isn't bad is someones OMG...
lol.... huh? OMG!
John 3:16-18
Old 02-17-2018, 12:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post
It depends on the depth of the scratches. If they are through to the flake you are out of luck; if there is enough of the clear gel/epoxy left over the flake then it can be wet sanded, compounded and polished.
Wouldn’t say you’re out of luck. But this scratch on our old X25 was through the flake, and would have to be sanded out to the size of a basketball to blend.
Attached Images

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
And this is the issue with flake. Looks cool as all get out but if you have even a minor scratch like the ones above you're talking serious coin for the repair. The average guy on this board could fix those scratches himself with some Spectrum color match gel, some wet sandpaper and compound in an afternoon on a solid color. Same repair on Aric's boat is going to be at least a grand and some of the letters will probably have to be removed as well.

I get the cool factor but I prefer something that's going to be more user friendly from a use case perspective and shy away from metal flake on my boats. Hopefully yours are not as deep and you can just fill them with clear.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Boat: XT22
You have to understand the flake. It's just below the clearcoat. If the scratch is just in the clear, you can possibly buff/ wetsand the clear enough to remove the scratch. If it is into the flake, it's a lost cause - you will need flake repair. And there are pros that can repair flake and you'll never know it was there.

Solid color gel is different. You can sand a scratch out of the gel
Old 02-18-2018, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197 Prostar 40th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
You have to understand the flake. It's just below the clearcoat. If the scratch is just in the clear, you can possibly buff/ wetsand the clear enough to remove the scratch. If it is into the flake, it's a lost cause - you will need flake repair. And there are pros that can repair flake and you'll never know it was there.

Solid color gel is different. You can sand a scratch out of the gel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
And this is the issue with flake. Looks cool as all get out but if you have even a minor scratch like the ones above you're talking serious coin for the repair. The average guy on this board could fix those scratches himself with some Spectrum color match gel, some wet sandpaper and compound in an afternoon on a solid color. Same repair on Aric's boat is going to be at least a grand and some of the letters will probably have to be removed as well.

I get the cool factor but I prefer something that's going to be more user friendly from a use case perspective and shy away from metal flake on my boats. Hopefully yours are not as deep and you can just fill them with clear.

We know a friend that is a professional so i could definitely have him do it for a good solid price but i don't think that they are that deep. they are pretty minor so i don't think i am going to worry about it right now. It's on my new one coming in (bought used) and so once i get it (coming tonight around 7pm) i'll try and snap a few pics and post them here so everyone can see.

.....it's most likely just the MCOCD that's killing me
Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
that will need a pro to repair but i've had it done before ... just do it and you will be happy