Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1983 Stars & Stripes
1983 S&S Swimdeck

Picked up an '83 S&S project boat. Baby blue gel coat and blue metal flake. Paid $250. No engine, no interior, but hull in good condition. Most likely will never be a functional ski boat again but looking for a few parts. Specifically, I'd like to find a teak swim deck. Any after market suggestions or can I just find the brackets somewhere and make my own?
Attached Images

Last edited by TIKIKENT; 01-29-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Starts & Stripes Powerslot, 92 Hydrodyne Comp
Oh man you have to bring that back to life! I thought I got a screaming deal on my 83 SS project for $2500. Granted it runs and has interior but what you could do yourself for 2-3k is amazing. As to a platform you can find them but it will be more than you paid for the hull. Brackets can be had on the parts for sale listings or Alloy Marine- very good folks. You'd spend a ton of time and frustration I think trying to make your own Teak platform unless very good st woodworking. WAY cool boat. You have to bring it back .

Last edited by MDB1056; 01-31-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
The hull looks to be in exceptionally good shape compared to the rest of the boat. The gel will clean up very good. I am looking at the areas of contrast for comparison where the platform used to be. Not bad shape at all. I have seen much worse.

If you can find the driver's seat and a passenger seat base, everything else can be easily restored. You'll need to cut it down to the bare hull, inspect, and start from there if you expect it to be of service to you in the future. Don't count on the myth of fiberglass this and that. Cut it open and look at it. Caution; there is a metal mounting frame under the floor so be careful when you fire up the saws-all.

Have Teak World to build a new platform or keep an eye out (no hurry) for one but they are not abundant.

The rest of it is doable with some patience, procurement, planning, and more patience.

The windshield is salvageable. Keep looking around here and there for parts and old junkers that pop up every so often. One boat can yield a lot of parts.

Or cut it in half and film it for the masses here... That is my vote.... cut it open in half and put it on boob-tube for viewing...Chain saw, saws-all, respirator, and safety glasses. Forget the engine and the accessories. Straight across / perpendicular to the length of the boat. Wife can film and produce. You can direct and cut...

Good looking hull but there is a a lot to back fill....most if not all can be found here and there. However ==> cut it in half..

Good find. The more you read here the more you'll learn about your needs. You hearing me Bernie?

contrast of other gel finishes I have worked on

Attached Images

John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-31-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
The hull looks to be in exceptionally good shape compared to the rest of the boat. The gel will clean up very good. I am looking at the areas of contrast for comparison where the platform used to be. Not bad shape at all. I have seen much worse.

If you can find the driver's seat and a passenger seat base, everything else can be easily restored. You'll need to cut it down to the bare hull, inspect, and start from there if you expect it to be of service to you in the future. Don't count on the myth of fiberglass this and that. Cut it open and look at it. Caution; there is a metal mounting frame under the floor so be careful when you fire up the saws-all.

Have Teak World to build a new platform or keep an eye out (no hurry) for one but they are not abundant.

The rest of it is doable with some patience, procurement, planning, and more patience.

The windshield is salvageable. Keep looking around here and there for parts and old junkers that pop up every so often. One boat can yield a lot of parts.

Or cut it in half and film it for the masses here... That is my vote.... cut it open in half and put it on boob-tube for viewing...Chain saw, saws-all, respirator, and safety glasses. Forget the engine and the accessories. Straight across / perpendicular to the length of the boat. Wife can film and produce. You can direct and cut...

Good looking hull but there is a a lot to back fill....most if not all can be found here and there. However ==> cut it in half..

Good find. The more you read here the more you'll learn about your needs. You hearing me Bernie?

contrast of other gel finishes I have worked on

waterlogged882...what compound would you use for bringing back the gel coat/metal flake? I was thinking the 3M product but I've read varying reviews. What have you found to work the best?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKIKENT View Post
waterlogged882...what compound would you use for bringing back the gel coat/metal flake? I was thinking the 3M product but I've read varying reviews. What have you found to work the best?
I start with the 3M Super duty compound and (importantly) a lamb's wool pad mounted on a variable speed and multi-directional buffer. You want slow speed (1000 RPM) and several pads to rotate and keep clean. I use three or four pads to rotate washing and drying while I keep working. Wash a pad, put it back on the buffer, place the head/pad down just inside the wash bucket and spin out the water on a higher speed. Otherwise it takes (literally) days for a pad to dry... Spin it out and it should dry in an hour or so (I run a fan).

If that does not work (depends on the longevity of UV exposure, harsh environment, etc.) then one may be able to resort to wet sanding starting at 2000 grit and work down in progressive successions (2000, 1500, 1200, 800) until you can see that one of two things are happening.....1) hopefully you will see a fresh layer of luster and gel that will shine like a new penny or dime, or 2) you see black spots (where flake may have been) and quickly you will see more black (resin base) and there will be nothing to recover beyond that.

I have encountered both scenarios....the second is not desirable but can easily be the case with flake. I have also seen flake clean up very nicely which I think yours will. Back to a previous statement: it all depends on the condition of the gel upon the initial undertaking.

Here is a bad turnout I recently encountered, but this was very far gone with UV exposure before I began. Bottom right is how wet sanding cuts right through to the resin base when there is nothing to recover. Top left is best I could recoup with using 3M super duty, then wax and polish.

Flake is more unpredictable than a solid gel coat.

Also you may encounter clear coat that can be another layer of obstruction when trying to get through to a better layer of gel.

The gel thickness also depends on several variable factors so there is nothing to say you have a 20 mil thick layer to work with. It varies from boat to boat, day to day.

A newly sprayed coat of gel and flake is another story. May be the best route but it will not be the least expensive route.

Like I said, I think yours will clean up very nicely, just from looking at the photos you posted right side up.

Attached Images

Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-08-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 PM
MC Master Poster

If you'll cut that thing in half, I'll pay half of the initial cost at $125 and come there to watch and film.... we can do it in a day's time....

Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 PM
TT Newbie

It's not completely out of the question. I will keep you posted.

It would make a kick-*** lakeside bar.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKIKENT View Post
It's not completely out of the question. I will keep you posted.

It would make a kick-*** lakeside bar.

As much as I dislike the gesture, you can always paint the finish, but that is also setting up for another refurb a few years on down the line. Your mileage may vary...

Best luck, regardless...
Old 02-09-2018, 03:37 PM
TT Newbie

Like this one...
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2018, 06:25 PM
MC Master Poster

A guy from another site did a great write-up and produced this bar for some friends. He titled the project "The Nautiki Bar."

Have a look ==> here <== and scroll about half way down the page....

Attached Images