Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I got there, but they talked about fish farms for a couple hours and I eventually had to go. Got word to Nordicron, who had an early meeting, he made it and got to testify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC500mod View Post
Just emailed with someone who was at today's meeting. It sounds like there is an emotional group from Lake Geneva that is very strongly opposed to the wisconsin mirror law. I think the next stop for this bill is in the assembly, there will be another hearing. The people at this meeting stated that we'll definitely need numbers of people and facts to fight the group lathered in emotion from lake geneva.

by the way, who can make a 9am meeting on a thursday?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7Dave View Post
He watched us till we were done. Then came over.
geez....
Old 03-10-2017, 08:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
I just emailed my reps again to express my support and politely encourage them to focus on the facts and data.

It takes five minutes to send a few emails and they do have an impact.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x1
Did anything change? Like weekends excluded?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Non-MC
Yesterday was public comment and testimony only. No changes were floated. There is some opposition. Lake Geneva seems to be worried. The assembly bill will require testimony at the public hearing. Don't have a date for that yet, but the authors are guessing Geneva may try to come out in force for a show. We need people to show up and speak on behalf of the bill. People representing different groups are especially effective. For example, the president of the UW ski team spoke in support. Legislators love to hear how the bill would allow them to better compete against Minnesota and Florida, where mirrors are used.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:31 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskiluvr View Post
I just emailed my reps again to express my support and politely encourage them to focus on the facts and data.

It takes five minutes to send a few emails and they do have an impact.
Focus on the facts is right. The argument against yesterday was emotional and anecdotal.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '18 x23, '15 x10
Can we get a list of some facts to use when emailing representatives and discussing this topic in public forums?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:34 PM
TT Regular

Current Wisconsin law requires that in addition to the driver, an observer or “spotter” be onboard to observe a water skier’s progress. This bill is modeled after a 56-year-old Minnesota law and would exempt motorboats that have a wide-view rear-facing mirror from the requirement to have an on-board observer while towing a water skier.

Since 1960, residents and visitors in Minnesota, the birthplace of waterskiing, have been able to waterski without an observer when their ski boat is equipped with a wide-view rear-facing mirror. In 2015, Minnesota had 185,000 more registered motorboats than Wisconsin, but only had 11 skier-related incidents, four fewer than Wisconsin. Over the past 6 years, Minnesota has had 28% fewer skier-involved incidents per 100,000 registered boats.

According to the Department of Tourism, of all those who traveled to Wisconsin in 2015 for vacation (not visiting family, friends, or on business), 76% had two or fewer adults in their party. Under current law, these parties would not be able to waterski during their visit to Wisconsin without finding a third person. This bill allows for broader participation in recreational watersports on our lakes - especially by residents and tourists who enjoy our lakes with just one other person.

Otherwise, I'm working on something to compile mirror usage and accident rate. Tough to do on my own time right now though with a 1 year old.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
I wakesurf/board and tube on Lake Geneva and agree that are many idiots out there, but I have also missed some beautiful days out on LG because we did not have a third. I will send my Illinois voice via emails to the politicians listed (Redline services my X23) so they have to be right!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Even with an observer - boating on Lake Geneva is scary on the weekends - beautiful lake but too many crazy boaters out there - and the seawalls make for crazy waves -

Safe and smart boaters always suffer cuz of the crazy boaters.