Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Airline ticket questions.

The few times that I have flown, all of the arrangements were made by my previous employer. Now that my wife and I are planning a trip to CO to visit our son, I have a few questions. We will be taking a flight from Lynchburg VA to Charlotte NC, then on to Denver. Are we better off to book the flight on a site like Expedia, or go through the AA website? The Expedia site says that the flight to Denver will be on an Airbus A321, but I believe that there are several versions of this plane(?). The baggage details state that a carry-on is NOT allowed, but a “personal item” is. What’s the difference? Can a personal item be a small bag with some basic toiletries? My luggage was delayed by about 12 hours on my last trip to NY, and the only thing I took on the plane with me was my laptop, so I don’t want to go through that scenario again.

We want to make sure we are sitting together, and we don’t want to sit in the worst seats on the plane. Any do’s and don’ts from you experienced flyers will be greatly appreciated.
My wife swore that she would never fly, but I'm not driving 1,500 miles. She is freaking out.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
tix purchased through airline is the best... IMO... the pricing is the same you can pick your seats and you have one place to deal with in an event that requires it.. just one less hoop to jump.

no carry on means no carry on little suitcase.. so you can bring a purse and a man bag as long as it fit under the seat in front of you... People think the cost of flying is high so airlines give you a "cheap fare" then tack on.. so in all honesty unless you are traveling with a hand bag it will cost you the same as if you had to pay for a real ticket... back in the day...

1500 miles.. take an extra day off on both sides and drive it.. I agree with your wife.. no point in flying anymore... unless necessary...

Enjoy the flight... hopefully the flu season is almost over...
Old 02-19-2018, 10:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
Book it directly through the American Airlines website.

It’s telling you that you can’t bring carry on baggage probably because you have chosen the lowest bare bones fare. With that fare you’ll only be able to carry on what will fit under the seat in front of you.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
I do 3 things when shopping for flights:

1. Google flight search
2. American Airlines (since that is where all my miles are)
3. Use Expedia/Cheaptickets

Airbus is a big plane – are you sure carry-ons are not allowed? Or they are allowed with a $25 fee? Unless I’m on a twin engine prop job puddle jumper going to a remote tropical island, most flights I’ve been on allow a carry on (bag) and a personal item (like a backpack).

As far as best/worst seats – don’t book the seats in front of the exit aisle, they do not recline. I also avoid falling prey to wanting to be in the front and paying the fee for that.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
A personal item would be something like a purse, or backpack. Little travel suitecases are "carry-on luggage".

Definitely buy directly from the airline website. They generally guarantee lowest fares.

Are there any other airlines you can take? AA is one of my least favorite, just above United. If I can't take Southwest somewhere, I prefer Delta above AA or United. I travel a lot for work, and when I want to be on time, AA or United are not my friends.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
About 8 hours in a vehicle is all I can tolerate...I hate driving. When my son moved to CO they made the drive in 2 days and he said that the trip was brutal. They alternated drivers and it was actually about 14 hours a day. My wife is just terrified of crashing. I told her that she wouldn't feel a thing.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
The challenge with Expedia and other travel sites is when you need to make a change. Especially bad when you are using those sites for lodging.

I have a stronger preference for Southwest Airlines. They do a lot less of the add-on fees.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 x30
We had some flights booked with American this summer. I have to say that I will never book with them again. We usually book with southwest but couldn't for these flights be a because of our destination. We did make a mistake and did not book "refundable tickets". I'm amazed at how the major airlines nickel and dime you for all it's worth. Charging for bags, ticket change fees, refundable tickets etc... Our plans changed and we decided to change our destination. Unfortunately American charges 200$ just to change a ticket (1000 dollar mistake). Then American refunded the difference in American travel vouchers. American sucks compared to southwest. Minimal change fees, no baggage fees, great rates, Southwest is so much easier to deal with. The seating on southwest puts some people off, but with 2 people if you check in early you should have no problem getting seats together.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 NXT20
Use aa.com. Buy the main cabin ticket, not basic economy, and you will be able to pick your seat right away and bring a personal item and carry on bag. Get to the airport early so your wife can be relaxed before she gets on the plane, you don't want it to be rushed.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx30 View Post
We did make a mistake and did not book "refundable tickets". I'm amazed at how the major airlines nickel and dime you for all it's worth. Charging for bags, ticket change fees, refundable tickets etc...
This is exactly how they have stayed alive. The CEO of AA said "We will never lose money again" speaking about feeing passengers to death everywhere they could... Bag fees, exit row, 1st row, aisle seats, carry ons, snacks, meals, drinks, etc....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ain/715467001/