Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-31-2017, 10:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 MasterCraft Prostar big block 454
1986 MasterCraft Prostar sound system?

Just recently purchased an '86 prostar and was wanting to get speakers and a head unit installed. Has anyone done this or have ideas on placement?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
I am curious on this for my '79 Stars and Stripes... I already have a JVC head unit I want to replace and add a sub with some better speakers.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 84 Stars and Stripes, 351W
I have a decent system in my '84 S&S. Loud enough to hear when running it wide open and it's relatively simple. I made speaker boxes and tubs and have 2 10's in the bow that help the boom. Sounds nice. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 08:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
I installed a 10" sub behind the passenger seat, opposite of the driver, in my 81. I also mounted another battery with two amps. A 600 watt Rockford Fosgate amp I already had for the sub and an Audiopipe 1000 watt for the 4 polk marine components I put inside the combing? panels I made for the inside of the boat. I was able to use RCA cables from a head phone jack connected to my iPhone to the RF amp and used the pass through channels to the audiopipe amp for the signal.

This was relatively inexpensive and sounds pretty good in my opinion
Old 09-07-2017, 08:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
I have a sub and amp under the front, two 6" speakers that I mounted under the gunnels and mounted the head unit in the lower dash.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2017, 10:17 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNonBeard View Post
I have a decent system in my '84 S&S. Loud enough to hear when running it wide open and it's relatively simple. I made speaker boxes and tubs and have 2 10's in the bow that help the boom. Sounds nice. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can I see the pictures of how yours are installed and the deck? Very interested in doing this over the winter
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by occva View Post
I have a sub and amp under the front, two 6" speakers that I mounted under the gunnels and mounted the head unit in the lower dash.
Nice looking interior layout. Is the grill for sale?

Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
Thank you.

The grill went to the dump with the rest of the deck.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
For speakers , I rebuilt the side panels where they dropped down enough in the front that I could get 6" separates in them. I did put boxes in the rear but I think if I had to do again I would put the rear speakers in the side panel as well. I do know that I did have concerns about being able to get the back fiberglass panel off though and did not want to have to remove the side panels to do so. I think that is why I went with the boxes in the back.

When I remade the side panels I gave them about 1" more height and it gave the boat a more modern look. Of course that would be strictly a preference thing.

I had an amp under the bow and mounted the stereo left off the mirror recess ( moved the mirror to windshield.) I only cut the fiberglass enough for wiring to come through and made a fiberglass box and put the nicest looking splash proof lid I could find on it.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:40 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrowskis View Post
For speakers , I rebuilt the side panels where they dropped down enough in the front that I could get 6" separates in them. I did put boxes in the rear but I think if I had to do again I would put the rear speakers in the side panel as well. I do know that I did have concerns about being able to get the back fiberglass panel off though and did not want to have to remove the side panels to do so. I think that is why I went with the boxes in the back.

When I remade the side panels I gave them about 1" more height and it gave the boat a more modern look. Of course that would be strictly a preference thing.

I had an amp under the bow and mounted the stereo left off the mirror recess ( moved the mirror to windshield.) I only cut the fiberglass enough for wiring to come through and made a fiberglass box and put the nicest looking splash proof lid I could find on it.
Any chance you could post some pictures so I can get some ideas?

Tags
1986 mastercraft prostar, audio