Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Yamaha 212x?? what other choices in MC,SN or BU??

http://www.yamahaboats.com/212x

Alright, so I get a text a night or two ago asking me if I knew anything about "Yamaha boats." I'm thinking, engines, yea, boats......didn't know they made them. I get a little nervious my buddy is thinking about impulse buying some thing he saw at the boat show.

So he sends me a pic and I read up on it a bit. Well, it's some sort of jetski boat. I"m thinking they can't be any good for skiing or wakeboarding due to the design. He assures me they are top rated, great resale, no wake issues because the propulsion is directed "down." Oh man, he's falling for this thing!

I asked his objective and it looks like he wants a lot of room, and then be able to teach his young kids waterskiing/wakeboarding as they get older. Pretty much an all around boat.

Now, this is a die-hard fisherman! All he knows is fishing....and would probably LOVE some sparkly Bass boat but his wife has definitely reminded him, he already had 2 fishing type boats. He needs a family boat.

I suggested a MC (used) and his comment back....yea, like I want to spend a $100k on a boat. Nothing wrong with used, I say!

So, I need a little help/suggestions on which boats might I suggest in any of the three manufactures (MC, SN, BU) that I can get him pointed in the proper direction!

I think, a large front area (pickle fork looks like a good option for him). Probably a V-drive (no DD) and maybe $30k-$35k. X2? X30? I don't know the difference really....I'm a DD kinda guy! Nothing in the early 2000 either due to interior issues.

The Yamaha is retailing at $48k.....I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a jetski type boat.

And, yes, Gardner, it's Jamey I'm talkin' about!
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Tell him don't impulse buy! Just like we tell everyone on here he needs to go demo first.

Some negatives on that 212x are it's a loud buzzy thing and it handles like crap around the docks. They also burn through the gas pretty good. I also don't believe they hold value as well as his dealer is telling him! Lastly if he boats on weedy lakes he is gonna hate always having to clean out the weeds from the intakes.

Lastly the wake that thing throws is not very good. Not for skiers nor boarders.

He for sure should look at some bu,MC or nautiques in the 2008-2010 ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Nautique G23
A Moderately optioned 2010-2012 X2 Can be had for the same 50k as that jet boat. Or A VTX, VLX, SAN210 from the same 2010-2012 year range. Most of that will depend on options. I know of a 2011 leftover X2, with a heater, 5.7l, ZFT3, shower, and a couple other little goodies, that recently sold for 51k, brand new.

The biggest thing that you want to hammer into your friends head, is that the jet boat will drop half its value in one year, and will continue to depreciate heavily after that. If he buys a MC/BU/CC, he will save on cost of ownership, because of drastically slower depreciation. That is a hard fact!

The newer jet boats are a lot more reliable than they used to be, but the wakes are no good for watersports. They are a good runabout, and that is it.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
MC Maniac

I'm thinking that if you pull from skiing or wakeboarding, you're going to get the boat to move around a lot. Either slowing it down or pulling it side to side from poor tracking......

Good suggestions 440.....I'll look up a few on boattrader and send them his way.

I just can't imagine there is a strong market for re-sale on these Yamaha things. More of an entry level, get you into boating thing to then move up. Short termer really.

1994 205, LT1
Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I know a few people with those types of boats and all seem to love them . That being said most trade up to a real boat after a few years . These aren't toys by any means . Most have two engines and are really quick and agile . They have obviously gotten quite expensive but I think they depreciate pretty quickly . I would suggest to your friend he look up what a four year old used one sells for and once he sees how these depreciate compared to a mastercraft he will make the right decision
Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Nautique G23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
I'm thinking that if you pull from skiing or wakeboarding, you're going to get the boat to move around a lot. Either slowing it down or pulling it side to side from poor tracking......

Good suggestions 440.....I'll look up a few on boattrader and send them his way.

I just can't imagine there is a strong market for re-sale on these Yamaha things. More of an entry level, get you into boating thing to then move up. Short termer really.

A little fun story for you- I used to own a Sea-Doo Speedster 200 (Twin engine 510hp 20 footer). I have a buddy that is a avid slalom guy, and owns a '05 PS197. For the fun of it, we decided he should try a ski behind it. Plenty of power to yank him out, and the wake was not terrible bad. (Still nothing like any smaller inboard at 34mph).

So, we run through the coarse at 28mph, 22 off. It tugs the boat around a bit, but I manage to keep it in the coarse. We stop, he says "Alright, lets see if I can yank that thing around" He drops two lengths and I proceed to pull him through again. This time, it is 34mph, 32 Off. The yank on the exit from the first buoy moved the boat off track about 2 feet, and the turn around the second buoy ripped the pylon out of the boat......We split the $650.00 repair bill.

I am not exactly sure how long it was before we could stop laughing
Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I had a friend who was thinking of one. Ended up between a MasterCraft and a Nautique. He said after he took a demo in each there was no way. Tell your friend not to go for it until he's towed an experienced rider who can put a good pull on the boat. Performance will become obvious really quickly (tracking in particular). The build quality should be evident if you look at it a little bit. Face it, a 23' jet ski isn't the same as a tournament boat.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
I had a friend who was thinking of one. Ended up between a MasterCraft and a Nautique. He said after he took a demo in each there was no way. Tell your friend not to go for it until he's towed an experienced rider who can put a good pull on the boat. Performance will become obvious really quickly (tracking in particular). The build quality should be evident if you look at it a little bit. Face it, a 23' jet ski isn't the same as a tournament boat.
When he came back and said, the value is great, resale is great, no huge rooster tail.......all I could say was to go and test drive it. Hopefully getting behind the wheel and towing someone will tell the true story.

1994 205, LT1
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I don't know about CO, but here in MN they don't collect sales tax on a used boat just the trailer, they wrote the law so the DNR is responsible for licensing and because they don't have athority to tax and you aren't supposed to drive your boat on the road we get a break, and at 7.x% it can be quite a bit.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
the "jet ski" boats have come a long way since the early 2 stroke models. the current yamaha's are pretty nice and well laid out. the motors are great and very reliable with minimal service. for general boating and running around, its probably a great boat. having said that, i wouldn't consider trading my X30 for a yamaha boat. i've never ridden behind one of the boats, but I've ridden behind my waverunner (same motor/pump) several times. the pump leaves a washboard like effect on the water. this is acceptable for teaching kids, etc, but it would be pretty annoying on a dally basis.