Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Early 90's Maristar Hull. 210 Specifically

Hi everyone.

Ive been lurking these forums for a while now. Im looking to purchase a boat sometime soon.

I live in the Detroit area, and am mainly wakeboarding (still novice. Wake to wake is all I can do), tubing, and drinking. Would love to try some surfing too when the water it to chopped up. The boat will be used in lake St. Clair, and Zukey Lake in Michigan (and any other lakes on that chain I can get too. Main issue is draft with these style boats Ive been told).

Anyways. What hull is the 1992 maristar 210 based on? I found one kind of locally, and am interested in seeing it.

I also have my eyes on a 92 205, but it has seen salt water use for 10 years so I am hesistant knowing the block and heads are now garbage (ie, should not be rebuilt), not to mention all the other things salt water does.

Regards,
Roman
Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Its my opinion but I wouldn't even consider a boat that has been in salt water with a conventional cooling system .
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I had a 92 Maristar 210 for 14 years. That hull is of it's own design. Moreover, it would be pointless to buy that boat with surfing in mind. With it completely overloaded with close to 2k in ballast it was a waste to try and surf.
Attached Images

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I live in the Detroit area, and am mainly wakeboarding (still novice. Wake to wake is all I can do), tubing, and drinking.
I don't know about the wakeboard wake, but it should take care of your last activity just fine.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X14. Sold Maristar 210, 1992, 351
Send a message via AIM to jackpita Send a message via Yahoo to jackpita
I just sold my 92 Maristar 210, for a 08 X14. Great boat for us. Good slalom, wakeboard and surf for those that just want to enjoy. Takes weight for surf. 540 on the port side next to the motor, 540 behind the motor, 350 on the rear seat, friends up front. Inland Surfer Red Rocket. See attached. It won't set records, but from your description of what you want to do, it should suit you fine. Good luck!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Your surf results were about the same as mine. It wasn't good by any means. It takes a lot of weight and long board to even stay in the pocket. It was very hard on the motor and boat and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Not going to argue with you! Risk with any used boat! A boat can be defined as a fiberglass lined hole that you pour money through! I have two of those definitions!

My motor and transmission did fine while I owned it. 700 hours on it over 8 years. Never ran it past 10 mph with the weight in it, but only surfed with weight for half of this summer. Current owner only wake boarding and slalom.

It was for me, and is for the current owner, a great first MasterCraft to learn on, both behind the boat and maintaining the boat!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpita View Post
Not going to argue with you! Risk with any used boat! A boat can be defined as a fiberglass lined hole that you pour money through! I have two of those definitions!

My motor and transmission did fine while I owned it. 700 hours on it over 8 years. Never ran it past 10 mph with the weight in it, but only surfed with weight for half of this summer. Current owner only wake boarding and slalom.

It was for me, and is for the current owner, a great first MasterCraft to learn on, both behind the boat and maintaining the boat!
Who's arguing?

We both had the same results when it came to surfing behind a 92 Maristar 210. It isn't a good platform for that activity. Sure you can do it but it takes a lot of weight and effort. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have put the money into sacks and pumps for that boat.

It does have a fair ski wake and is good to learn to wake board behind, I did.

It is a great first boat to learn maintenance on but I didn't think that was the topic.

I assume you surf your X14. How does it compare with your old boat?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Better, but still requires weight. Much better slalom which is what I love most! We use my buddies X30 for surfing! Great to have friends with the right boat for the right sport! I was going to say 'right pull', but I believe surfing is more 'push' and slalom is more 'pull'!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpita View Post
Better, but still requires weight. Much better slalom which is what I love most! We use my buddies X30 for surfing! Great to have friends with the right boat for the right sport! I was going to say 'right pull', but I believe surfing is more 'push' and slalom is more 'pull'!
We came very close to pulling the trigger on an x14v but in the end opted for the X30. It's been a great boat but sometimes I do long for a small wake.