Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
MYMC's Avatar
MYMC MYMC is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 205V
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,225
Thomas Jefferson

Just some Light reading:

"Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), our third president and principal author
of the Declaration of Independence. He was a horticulturist,
archaeologist, paleontologist, author, inventor and founder of the
University of Virginia. When President John F. Kennedy welcomed
forty-nine Nobel Prize winners to the White House in 1962 he said, "I
think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human
knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House
with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
Jefferson has been consistently ranked by scholars as one of the
greatest presidents."


When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we
shall become as corrupt as Europe.
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A
principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of
the people under the pretense of
taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and
bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny
in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood
of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas
which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson


In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what
Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our
liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow
private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by
inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow
up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their
children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.
__________________
"You do realize that a nutless monkey could do your job"

Les Grossman
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
6ballsisall's Avatar
6ballsisall 6ballsisall is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: None this week!
Location: Coming out of the 6 Ball
Posts: 10,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMC View Post
Just some Light reading:

"Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), our third president and principal author
of the Declaration of Independence. He was a horticulturist,
archaeologist, paleontologist, author, inventor and founder of the
University of Virginia. When President John F. Kennedy welcomed
forty-nine Nobel Prize winners to the White House in 1962 he said, "I
think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human
knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House
with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
Jefferson has been consistently ranked by scholars as one of the
greatest presidents."


When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we
shall become as corrupt as Europe.
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A
principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of
the people under the pretense of
taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and
bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny
in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood
of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas
which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson


In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what
Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our
liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow
private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by
inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow
up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their
children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.
Wow, some very uncomfortable truth in a lot of that
__________________
Living like no one else so later we can live like no one else

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 AM
wakeX2wake's Avatar
wakeX2wake wakeX2wake is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ballsisall View Post
Wow, some very uncomfortable truth in a lot of that
^^^...x2...^^^ scary stuff
__________________
Current - '07 X2 blue on silver metal flake w/ switch graphics

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
Obama needs to be studying/researching Thomas Jefferson, instead of Abe Lincoln as inspiration for his inauguration address!
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
School Skier School Skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 190 1997
Location: Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 217
A government so large it can give you anything you want is a government so large it can take all you have.
Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 PM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 11,319
Great Thread Mike!!!
__________________

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
-A coward is much more exposed to quarrels than a man of spirit.

-Taste cannot be controlled by law.

-It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour.

-Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances.

Thomas Jefferson
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
2RLAKE's Avatar
2RLAKE 2RLAKE is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Location: Cincinnati OH & Lake Norris TN
Posts: 5,227
well said ... we all need to read those from time to time. I think Bush's farewell address tonight was very good ... straight from the heart ... did a good job protecting this great country during his presidency
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Smitty's Avatar
Smitty Smitty is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 Maristar 210, Red, MCX
Location: B-Town, Indiana
Posts: 254
Check your resources:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/jefferson/banks.asp
__________________
Life Is Good!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 AM
MYMC's Avatar
MYMC MYMC is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 205V
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Good catch...I checked a couple of the quotes and found them to be accurate, but not all (obviously). Stay with the spirit of the post...given that "our" goverment now controls banking, investing and to a large extent mortgages the quote while possibly not Jefferson's is certainly prophetic.
__________________
"You do realize that a nutless monkey could do your job"

Les Grossman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 PM.


2018