Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 10-18-2006, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
A member of my crew just bought a new State 145 for $200 from the local wakeboard shop. Plus 06 Zeus bindings for $220. They had a package deal of the State plus good bindings (forget which ones) for $300. If you can get $300 for these you're doing well. Don't forget this is end of season and dealers are on closeout with great deals.

The State has asymmetric shape to make it easier to edge and ride toeside.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 06 X-30 MCX
Best recommendation before buying a board is ride it first. Everyone likes things a little different. I was also thinking around $300 for the setup if it is in good shape. (Never rode a State or Alpha's but know alot of people talk goog about the Alphas

I switched to the CWB faction hinge's and my brother uses the Torq's. Will never go back to a binding without hinges.

Why yes I do love a rampy wake with a firm lip. Thanks for asking.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 CC, SAN, GT-40 (Please do not bounce registration, no intent of causing controversy. I read the forum regularly, and at time have info to share)
See this website: http://wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=850.
There is a video with the designer of the board describing what he has done with the board.

Carey, you are correct. The board is designed to help with toeside edging. He has a different size and shape fin on heelside vs. toeside, and has shaped the rail differently each side.

My question would be how big are you? 145 is a lot of board. Unless you are very tall, over 220 lbs, or so, or both, I would think that's a very big board. BKH
Old 10-19-2006, 08:53 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhallpass
See this website: http://wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=850.
There is a video with the designer of the board describing what he has done with the board.

Carey, you are correct. The board is designed to help with toeside edging. He has a different size and shape fin on heelside vs. toeside, and has shaped the rail differently each side.

My question would be how big are you? 145 is a lot of board. Unless you are very tall, over 220 lbs, or so, or both, I would think that's a very big board. BKH
Thanks for that info... I'm 6'2 and weight 175... it may be too much board, but I may go ahead and buy it b/c my brother is 6'5 and weighs about 235, I'm really trying to get him into the sport and off the tubes.. D4AM baylinin buddies of his!!
Also thanks for all of the other input on it. Trying to make an educated decision and this is def helping.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhallpass
If this is the case what size board should I be using 6'2 175....
Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
It really is just a matter of preference, but generally speaking, too big is better than too small. My guess for your size is something like a 138-140, maybe even a 142.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 06 X-30 MCX
The women are right .. size does matter ...

Size affects some of the handling characteristics. It is really very personal, how hard do you edge, do you want pop or distance, loose or tight, etc... how much does the weight affect your riding. The general spec is not always the right thing. For example, some people ride a very wide stance compared to the traditional width and swear by it ...

Here is a link that I found helpful in sorting through all of the technical differences in board design.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_guide

Just like buying a boat a lot of people have great feedback but it is biased by their preference and opinion. That is why to me (and a lot of others) just like you wouldn't buy a boat without driving it and trying it, you shouldn't buy a board/bindings without riding it. Good proshops will let you demo boards before buying them.

Why yes I do love a rampy wake with a firm lip. Thanks for asking.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 Tristar
Hey Monte

Brand new 145 State Board with brand new state bindings on ebay right now, buy it now price of $249 plus $39 to ship.
Item #330039981406

My opinion would be to get out and ride a few boards to feel what you like. However if this is not an option try going to wakeworld.com and check out their reviews - do a little reading - it is interesting and may lead you in one direction or another - plus they have pics of all the boards so you can check out the graphics.

I personally ride a 134 liquid force substance, and I am 170 pounds- bought it after reading the reviews - love the board and will buy the new model this year. I am at the high end of the weight capacity of this board but I love how light it is and how it handles. Because I already have the 134 my new one will be a 138.

The reviews of the boards have a rider weight category - you will be looking in the 137 -142 range. My opinion is that the 145 would be better suited for your brother.

You may be surprised how fast you progress - you might be doing inverts before you know it!

Good luck
Kris

Last edited by kpgotgame; 10-19-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X5 a.k.a."Lil Mule"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary K.
It really is just a matter of preference, but generally speaking, too big is better than too small. My guess for your size is something like a 138-140, maybe even a 142.
Never trust a wakeskater on what size wakeboard to ride.

I think a 145 would be good for you...like Cary said it's a matter of preference and better too big than too small.

I'm 5'5" and 145lbs and rode a 138 Watson last weekend (sick board)...almost pearled the nose on a backroll, but otherwise loved it and it didn't really feel too big.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 CC, SAN, GT-40 (Please do not bounce registration, no intent of causing controversy. I read the forum regularly, and at time have info to share)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary K.
I'm no expert, but all of the comments are valid. Strength, stance, speed, ability to edge,etc. Lots of factors go into the perfect board. But given what you stated as your abilities, Cary's advice would probably be generally accepted.

Most of the pros are shorter guys, but many ride boards that are fairly long. They also go 26mph, have stomach muscles like Adonis, and no problem controlling the board.

If you have long legs, you may need a larger board than your weight dictates because your stance is wide.

If you are heavy, you can ride a short board, but you probably need to go faster. If you are light, you may have trouble getting a big board around on spins, or on inverted tricks.

FWIW (probably not much), I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. I've always ridden a 141 or 142. I can't do any inverts. I've found that this siZe board is comfortable for me for the jumps and spins I can do, and handles my stance and weight well at the 22 mph I prefer.

If I were you Monte, I'd probably try a 138, 140, 142, and see what you like. BKH