Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 02:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14, 40th Anniversary Edition, MCX w/ Powerslot
Learning experience for near future buyer

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker (as guest), first time poster. I've grown up around boats my entire life usually on Lake Shafer, IN as a kid, and then Lake Gaston, NC/VA as an adult. My love for MasterCraft was formed at early age watching the ski shows at Indiana Beach, and I knew the first boat I bought myself would be a MasterCraft! The time is getting near (probably March 2018), so I've started looking, but need some advice, or general consensus on which model will be best, to narrow my search.

Some initial thoughts/info to base advice on. We are a family of 4, and I'm a 6'1", 215lb slalom skier, the wife likes to wake board a little (truth be told, she loves the old school wooden disc the most), and the kids are 5 and under. I've never wake surfed, but know this is the newest thing. Budget is probably low 40's for the perfect boat, or anywhere in the 30s for something that crosses off most of the list.

I don't need slalom course smooth wake (but wouldn't turn it down) but I also don't want to cross over a wake that is mid shin either. I tend to slalom at 32MPH, but having my own boat, might increase the skill level where I get to 34mph, as that seems to be posted most often as an ideal speed.

In my initial research it seems like a crossover model will suit our needs the best. In my heart, I'd love to have a direct drive (it goes back to my youth, and a lifelong dream fulfillment), so the x-14 or x-9's seem to fit the bill. That said, i'm not opposed to a v-drive, in fact, they are the only thing I've been behind (besides I/Os growing up). I've also read through a bunch of posts that the X-15 and X-10s are ok for slalom, wakeboarding, etc, but don't know anything about them other than what I've read here. Also, what are people's thoughts on X2 wake for skiing?

I don't think a traditional pro-star is the answer, because we'd like to take other families out with us.

I'll start with that for opinions, and can fill in more info if you guys have questions that will help pinpoint advice.

Thanks for all the help in advance!
Old 09-12-2017, 03:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X20
Welcome aboard!

I'm pretty new myself having bought my first Mastercraft last year. I have a family of 4 and was looking for all the things you mentioned......room for family, good slalom wake, decent wakeboard wake, but in the mid 30's. I found an 07 X14 DD for 35K and have absolutely no complaints.....well maybe it's a little nose heavy with an adult in the bow, but other than that it does everything I wanted.

I'd stay away from the 310 HP version though. Get either the MCX or LY6.

I can't comment on the other models you mentioned because I have no experience with them. Just wanted to say I'm happy with mine. Good luck!

Last edited by TyTanium; 09-12-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
i have an 2006 x2 that was approx 35k when i bought it. Had 200 hours on it. We like surfing the most, with some wake boarding in there as well. The boat doesn't have the biggest wave to surf and you will need to add weight. If i did this with my shaper it would work. Its a great boat for wakeboarding and a buddy of mine is a slalom skier who i tow all the time. The wake between 30 and 34 mph is really good according to him. It flattens out pretty nicely.. Probably not as nice as a 100% ski boat, but it does the trick. I don't think you would have any issues with slalom. Plus you can surf it with a rope or get some weight added and hopefully be able to surf w/o a rope like we plan to do.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
I really like my Maristar 210. (same as X-10) The slalom wake at 30mph is nice. It's not a prostar wake, but it is easily manageable to cross. The wakeboard wake is nice also. I have the 310hp motor and have no issues surfing with 1900lbs of ballast and a suck gate. I think I have the stock prop. I don't wakeboard with ballast, but I know it gets up to 20mph real fast while surfing. (my wife driving) Top speed is 43mph.

I have a family of 7 and most of my friends have families of 4. My boat has a 10 person capacity so it fills up fast. That is one thing I would suggest looking at before buying. I really like my boat but will probably upgrade next year just because of the capacity.

If you would like to surf, get perfect pass. I added it to mine after 2 years and it was the best thing I have added to date. I have no trouble holding speed, but I never got the perfect pull. This way anyone who pulls me can do a good job.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krw1225 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker (as guest), first time poster. I've grown up around boats my entire life usually on Lake Shafer, IN as a kid, and then Lake Gaston, NC/VA as an adult. My love for MasterCraft was formed at early age watching the ski shows at Indiana Beach, and I knew the first boat I bought myself would be a MasterCraft! The time is getting near (probably March 2018), so I've started looking, but need some advice, or general consensus on which model will be best, to narrow my search.

Some initial thoughts/info to base advice on. We are a family of 4, and I'm a 6'1", 215lb slalom skier, the wife likes to wake board a little (truth be told, she loves the old school wooden disc the most), and the kids are 5 and under. I've never wake surfed, but know this is the newest thing. Budget is probably low 40's for the perfect boat, or anywhere in the 30s for something that crosses off most of the list.

I don't need slalom course smooth wake (but wouldn't turn it down) but I also don't want to cross over a wake that is mid shin either. I tend to slalom at 32MPH, but having my own boat, might increase the skill level where I get to 34mph, as that seems to be posted most often as an ideal speed.

In my initial research it seems like a crossover model will suit our needs the best. In my heart, I'd love to have a direct drive (it goes back to my youth, and a lifelong dream fulfillment), so the x-14 or x-9's seem to fit the bill. That said, i'm not opposed to a v-drive, in fact, they are the only thing I've been behind (besides I/Os growing up). I've also read through a bunch of posts that the X-15 and X-10s are ok for slalom, wakeboarding, etc, but don't know anything about them other than what I've read here. Also, what are people's thoughts on X2 wake for skiing?

I don't think a traditional pro-star is the answer, because we'd like to take other families out with us.

I'll start with that for opinions, and can fill in more info if you guys have questions that will help pinpoint advice.

Thanks for all the help in advance!
Good luck on your boat search. I spent my youth (80's) in Monticello as well. We were mostly on Freeman, but spent some time on Shafer also. Friend of mine had a place up on Big Monon.

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 09-12-2017, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT20
The 205V hull (2001-2002 x-star, 2003-2005 X2 and a 2006 and newer X1) is a great all around boat that would check off almost all your list.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 NXT 22
Decisions decisions. You have several directions you can head as others have stated. You can find plenty of options in your price range, especially if you are in a position to be patient, but act FAST if the right boat comes up now that the season is winding down. As other have said, the 2006+ X2 is a strong option and you can also find some X15s in this range. For both the X2s and X15s, make sure they have the center trim tab if you are looking to ski. I would also not be surprised to see some 2015 NXT20's show up mid winter in the mid 45k range with the added bonus of NXT Surf system. This is a super clean X 15 http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=82496
Old 09-12-2017, 04:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X15 MCX with every option
KRW, my story is about identical to yours...

Saw MasterCrafts growing up, knew I'd have one some day. Our MC was also the first boat we owned. My family situation is the same too (age, number of kids and age, etc). I'm even the same size as you. Also, I had never surfed, but I knew we'd love it (and do) but also wanted a decent slalom/water ski wake. We also wanted a boat that we could invite a lot of friends, explore new lakes, tube, cruise, party, etc.

Because of the need for room, I ruled out an X9, X14 or even the X14V. I started hunting X2s as they seemed manageable size wise but my wife didn't like the pickle fork. And, I'm glad she didn't as they typically have a 11 person rating. So, I dialed in on the X15 (2006 -2012) and couldn't be happier. I rec slalom it, the kids 2 ski it, we surf it, and yes, occasionally tube it. I've added a 750lb sac to each rear lock and use a Nauticurl to help the surf wave and its great!

Best part might be we've had over 100 different friends/family/neighbors/colleagues on the boat and they're always amazed with the size, functionality, capability, sound, and atmosphere on our boat, and we get them to try new things (ski, surf, etc).

Based on your family and desires, I'd strongly encourage you to look at an X15, and, they are close to your price range.

Here is an excellent example from a Team Talk member and in you're in the same state: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=82496

Feel free to PM me with any questions or to chat.

Good luck in your hunt. That is half the fun
Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkslc View Post
The 205V hull (2001-2002 x-star, 2003-2005 X2 and a 2006 and newer X1) is a great all around boat that would check off almost all your list.
this is the route we went and we love the boat, does everything pretty well, my wife still skis, adult kids wakeboard and surf, pulled tube for youth outings from our church ... but will quickly get cramped on space with multiple people. We've had 8 adults (50s & 60s) for a day outing and it worked well but I wouldn't want to put any more in than that personally. yeah, you could put in a couple of smaller kids and be fine I guess.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Boat: XT22
Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track. An x-14 fits your description of your needs perfectly. An X-9/209 is another option, but the ski wake will not be as good, but will be ok. If you go the X1/ 205V or X2 or x15 route you compromise slalom wake for other benefits. Better boarding and surfing wakes, and more room in some of the models mentioned. Search the forum, questions like this have been asked in hundreds of threads. And if there was a clear concensus, the threads wouldn't keep popping up. Good luck with the search. Keep in mind you will get a better deal if you purchase now vs. March most likely.