Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT20
Best Batteries

Itís probably time to change out the 2 batteries in my 08 X2. Itís in storage, so Iím not sure whatís in it now. What batteries are the best?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Just a handful of companies make 90% of the brands out there. In the end, the right size/type for the job with proper maintenance, is the best. With that said, ive had good luck with the interstate marine batteries.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Just a handful of companies make 90% of the brands out there. In the end, the right size/type for the job with proper maintenance, is the best. With that said, ive had good luck with the interstate marine batteries.
^ ^ ..... +1 my choice also.

Exide also touts a reliable label brand.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Rural king had exide agm on sale for 130 this last week
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
Sams Club sells "Duracell" branded AGM marine batteries. They are made by East Penn/Deka. I've had great luck with the Deka batteries over the years, and they are very reasonably priced at Sam's.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Last couple Deka's I had were junk within 2 years. Was really disappointed because they used to make the best batteries out there.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I like Blue Tops but a lot of people on this board have had bad luck with them. If you decide to go AGM be aware that you will need to buy a new and possibly expensive battery charger to go with them. Most AGM failures can be directly related to how the battery was taken care of and the charger that was use with them. When I bought mine I also purchased their charger with them. I have one battery that's 7 years old and another that's 6. That being said I do take very good care of my gear. I store my batteries inside and charge them monthly in the winter months.

If you're just looking for a good, cheap solution look no further than Interstate lead/acid batteries. They probably have the best reputation in the marine industry and are very good for what they are.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
my issue with the colored tops, especially for a house bank, is their price and size compared to their Ah. The large group-31 blue has less no more Ah then a group-24 wet cell, which is half the cost. If AGM's is the route one wants to go, there are better values out there then the blue top.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedrum03 View Post
Last couple Deka's I had were junk within 2 years. Was really disappointed because they used to make the best batteries out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane330 View Post
Sams Club sells "Duracell" branded AGM marine batteries. They are made by East Penn/Deka. I've had great luck with the Deka batteries over the years, and they are very reasonably priced at Sam's.
+1 for Deka.

batteries will last longer if you maintain them. Batteries that sit in a boat being without being used over the off season, or infrequently used, will not last. Take them out and put them on a trickle.

The marine deka starting battery I have is 10 years old. Every winter it sits in my coat closet on a trickle.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:03 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
+1 for Deka.

batteries will last longer if you maintain them. Batteries that sit in a boat being without being used over the off season, or infrequently used, will not last. Take them out and put them on a trickle.

The marine deka starting battery I have is 10 years old. Every winter it sits in my coat closet on a trickle.
I never leave a constant trickle on a battery.

My preference is a microchip battery monitor that is a smart charger. In particular NOCO Genius is a best product for me. Battery Tender brands have gone downhill in quality and warranty service. I have seven NOCOs in the garage for year-round use on my vehicle batteries.

A constant trickle will chronically kill a battery from what I have experienced and read.

Mileage may vary.

$0.02