Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 07 xstar
Un-freak'n-believe-able
I would not have expected such workmanship from any MasterCraft dealer
I'd be livid to the point of hurt'n someone
never would I take my boat to them for anything whats so ever not even warranty work
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
We have spent hours and hours trying to tweak the perfect pass. I have even spoke to perfect pass direct and they said they are having problems with the new MC system, so they can't really help. You can cut out and the speed drops to 21 and by the time your in the air it's up to 24. Try doing a handle pass with that much tension.

I didn't want to start complaining online but after this long I feel almost ripped off.

And the idea the dealer doesn't know about upgrading ballast is comical. They are the self proclaimed larger MC dealer in te world and told me they had promised this to like 40 customers. I'm on my family holiday now with a boat that looks so axing and gets a ton of attention but we have troubles every time we are out. Any anyone here can understand how much an unhappy spouse helps things.

When we get home I plan to call my dealer and really speak with them. My friend bought a new MOomba mojo from the same dealer an it has been a much more reliable boat and easier to use. The fit and finish and interior aren't near the same calibur but who really cares if it's not great for the intended use. Im sure Zero off would fix the speed issue and just adding a vent would help the ballast situation but I dot want to spend one more penny and be without a boat again.

Sorry to vent but I would have been the BIGGEST advocate for MC, heck I had a huge thread about this on Wakeworld between the MC and a Malibu LSV before i purchased and went with the MC because of the dealer. I would be singing the praises up and down if I got what I was promised from the beginning. All I actually want is what I purchased. Would a Porche be acceptable without working cruise control? Would it?

It was great for tubing though .......

I wish someone from MC would read these boards and contact me direct. All of this is leading to bad publicity and we all know that's the last things MC needs.

I'm not a rich guy, this boat was a BIG stretch for and my family. It was a LOT of money.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post

And the idea the dealer doesn't know about upgrading ballast is comical. They are the self proclaimed larger MC dealer in te world and told me they had promised this to like 40 customers.
40 unsatisfied customers coming up
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Welcome to the world of early releases, technology that has not run the course, lack of r&d, and dealer info from MC to the dealer for issues. I don't own 2012 but a family member has a x25 I spend time in. Mc is so fast in releasing these boats and throwing technology in them that no one can tell you how to set up even the guys at MC. Mc can't tell them ( boat owner) or their dealer how to set up their 25 and get the plug and play, tab , and pp to work together and have an issue free boat for a day. They have bypassed the ballast issue for now by adding a complete automated aftermarket system. While not the most economical solution it was something they planned on anyways because the new they would be sacking the crap out of it from the get go and by having a complete self served "plug and play" system it cut fill times in half. As far as the quality and little stuff there has been zero issues ,but the technology side has kept the boat at its mercy. It's redicullous and more and more prominent these last yrs. I know I am gonna get flamed from the die hards , just like i did for ripping the 2013 X Star debacle , but take a peak around the die hards are the ones with the issues with brand new boats every year.
The ballast issue has been a plague for the past 5 seasons. U can read the numerous threads all about them yet MC still has them and continues to employ them in their boats cuz they give it a "cool look on a screen " as far as I can tell.

As far as getting a response from mc ......you won't get one here unless you keep ripping them a new one and even then they will tell you to knock off the bad publicity not give you a solution. Just check the board for the common issues that have plagued boat after boat with just ballast alone. The problem in this case with the computer issues is at no fault to your dealer. The bag plumbing. ....well from the sounds of it could be.......but MC has not been forthcoming to the dealers in the area here and from the looks of the board here all across the country. None of them can figure out the 2012 system as of yet. Trust me I keep praying a solution shows. It's rediculous and more and more prominent these last yrs. The solution to the plug and play past issues was dumping another 2-4k of your hard earned cash into totally rewiring you system. That's unacceptable to me but some will say the quality you pay for outweighs that.......And they my friend have drank the koop aide.

As far as your bags. From the post you posted your dealer did a half assed job indeed. Again this is without exact knowledge of how you system is precisely plumbed in. My guess is they just added a fill line to each bag with the additional pump. Thinking the bags would not get air because you have the reversible pump. They figured you were gonna have to watch in order to switch the y valve anyways. They did do you a favor by adding an extra pump but they should have added a pump for each side if it were legit. Along with the pumps should have came a vent line with a check valve. Without knowing t
heir exact reasoning they gave you the cheapest solution possible to add your extra ballast.

All in all I wish you the best of luck on getting things resolved. I actually passed on a 2012 boat this year from another mfg with a T. The reason is because I could not get the boat model I wanted without their digital screen package and all it's interworkings related to it. On our test drive the system wasn't performing properly and and that sealed the no sale for me. As far as the mojo. Moomba has come around ten fold in past 6 yrs. I mean their new line and rides have gotten better and better inside. While they lack the billet, vinyl quality, some build quality aspects that really won't make a boat explode or disintegrate down the road, they perform and throw wakes with the best of them. I am not going to tell you that you should have bought a Moomba. I am actually feeling this may be my only option as well to get a new ride without an all digital linked up system from the dealer networks in my area. There is something to be said for aerator pumps and switches that turn things on when you push the button and turn things off when you flip them the other way. I will tell you you're not alone in your new boat woes about the technology and I wish everyone the best to get those dialed as I would be going bizzzurko like yourself. The minute I hear any valid solution to the family members 25 I will post it

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique

Last edited by swatguy; 07-06-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM
MC Maniac

Swatguy the Mojo is no better than your 2000 xstar
save your money for when MC get this glitch worked out
FWIW wont be long before Moomba goes "hi-tech" like every other boat manufacture
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
MC Maniac

Snork,
That's my problem, I am so spoiled by the wakes its ridiculous, I don't need a new boat for performance I need a new boat for space as my family is doubling quickly with friends of my daughters hopping on. Every time I ride something it doesn't blow my mind performance wiseand the space upgrade alone can't seal the deal just yet Especially since i have to have an under 22 ft restriction.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
88 2001 Nautique

Last edited by swatguy; 07-06-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 PM
MC Devotee

The ballast upgrade was a single pump put in off the intake for the front ballast tank. Originally te dealer wanted to give me a MANUAL valve I would have to operate by opening the engine compartment and turning the valve to switch bags. After a lot of emails they agreed to an electric valve but it still only fills or drains one side at a time. The switch they put in is a generics and doesn't even match the factory switches. I just wanted to be clear about the solution they provided.

The dealer blames MC about the ballast problems and they did put in a system it's just not very good IMO.

Like I said before I would/will be the biggest advocate of MC when this is truly made right. I will have videos and pics of the wake and because we are involved with all the wakeboard contests and I ride on one of the busiest lakes in Alberta and work with some of the schools it wo
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 PM
MC Maniac

Whether it fills one side or both at the same time off the same pump while annoying doesn't really affect the fill time of the pump. Think about it. Whether your filling twice the space or a smaller space at one time the pump only has a max output. Filling side by side is actually a better advantage then both at once especially if you want to surf. Also it will allow you to balance the boat by emptying one side or another. The perfect solution would be a 3 position. Left right or both valve. Because I sometimes fill while the rider is riding I would like the option to fill both at same time. For us it gives us a few warm ups as the bags are filling in the am to get us loose and then they fill and we are all warm and ready to ride. ( all while we are pulling the rider) Again tho they should have added two pumps IMO. What did they say about overflow/vent valve?

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
88 2001 Nautique

Last edited by swatguy; 07-06-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 AM
MC Devotee

Haven't spoke to them yet. The valve isn't that bad, I can definitely live with it, but if you forget to check the bag, boom or crack. Not awesome.

As mentioned a pump for each would have been ideal, but I can live with this valve but no overflow sucks.

Ok I gotta get back to the last day of my vacation tomorrow. Not sure if we will take the boat out but I am going to try a few more perfect pass things tomorrow just to see.

Let me be clear though, the surf wave is awesome. Best I have ridden and I think with enough tweaking the wakeboard wake will be nice and big and smooth but without consistent speed it's tricky.

Thanks for all the replies letting me know I'm not being too picky on a new boat.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2 2008 - 350 MCX
but without vent you won't be able to fill it properly...I mean what's the point of buying some 200,400,800lbs or whatever bag you want if it's filled with 50% of air if not more ?!

You definitely need to modify this IMO, for the next summer maybe