Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Don't ballast bags need vent hoses?

I just had my dealer install additional ballast bags in te rear of my new X-30. Bee came on holidays and have been using them, but the dealer didn't add a vent hose at all. As far as I can tell they will just fill up till they explode. The switch has no timers about just goes on and there is no way to tell if they are full.

My questions is would people consider this normal and acceptable? All other boats I have been on had a vent hose out the side so you can tell when they are full. Would others members accept this on a new boat? The first day out it blew my plug and leaked a TON of water all over the inside of the boat? Hopefully this post can stay here long enough for people to see it and it's not maintance since its a brand new boat.

I really want to know if this is how other dealers do it too?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I wouldn't accept that installation but thats just me. The heck if I just spent that much money and would have to stare down bags to tell if they are full. Plus I'm assuming all of your weight is hidding. Major bummer and worth a griping
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
not sure about yours, but i followed ronnie's write up and mine overflows when i added the additional bags to the hard tanks.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=25491
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X45
My ballast bags I had installed by my dealer have overflows that run out the side vents when the bags afe filled to their potential. I would imagine yours should have them as well. I'd be taking a trip back to have that fixed if I were in your shoes.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Yes, you will need some sort of vent or relief valve in the system.

How did he install them - did he add extra pumps or just plug in the factory overflow into the bags? Be aware that on 2012's the programmable timers are gone. Without PnP, you can't get the factory pumps to run longer without doing some work arounds.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2 2008 - 350 MCX
No vent = it seems to be full but actually your fat sacs are full of air, no matter the timing of the pumps, that's why you need an overflow/vent either on your stock ballast or your sacs...every fly high sac is designed with some vents to drain the air out...

I wonder if it could damage your pumps if they run with high air/water pression in your fat sacs...
Old 07-06-2012, 01:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Ok, I knew they did a half *** job! They promised me the upgrade before they knew about Mastercrafts stupid software this year so they had to add an extra pump and valve that can only fill one side at a time. As if that wasnt bad enough now they fill to the point of explosion.

Every time we go out in our new boat and something doesn't work (perfet pass still won't hold speed) my wife gives me a dirty look and says we should have never sold the Moomba. I can honestly say that I am at the point of being very disappointed with both MC and my dealer. Bit thought I was getting the best and I feel like its the exact opposite. For a boat with a Msrp of 118k cad you would expect none of this crap. Plus the dealer took 16 days to install the damn system. 16 days of the best months of or short canadian summers.

Overall I am very disappointed. We bought it for wakeboarding and have 30 hours and still haven't had a decent ride once. Would anyone else find this acceptable?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, my 2012 is in the shop for the 3rd time this year, currently with water in my engine oil.

There are work arounds for the ballast to get the factory to fill piggy back systems. You can trick the system into thinking you have plug'n'play (requires Lenco slave module), or you can hardwire around the system, although it takes 15 relays to get everything to work. Here are some options:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=47859
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=46151&page=2
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46977
Old 07-06-2012, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2 2008 - 350 MCX
Really disapointed as I witness all your troubles...Most of the Fly high kits would take around 2 or 4 hours max to install, looks like your dealer is as bad as ours that's why I don't give him that kind of job !!

Anyway I doubt your dealer has his own wakeboat and use some ballast otherwise he would knew about vent, we experience it on every ride when filling additionnals sacs with our old reliable tsunami pump...There's always some air stuck in those sacs that's why it needs a good overflow/vent if you want to use your sacs properly, I mean at 100% of their weight !!

Can't help about the 2012 PnP system with my 08' boat, but looks messy as hell !
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM

Boat: No Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Ok, I knew they did a half *** job! They promised me the upgrade before they knew about Mastercrafts stupid software this year so they had to add an extra pump and valve that can only fill one side at a time. As if that wasnt bad enough now they fill to the point of explosion.

Every time we go out in our new boat and something doesn't work (perfet pass still won't hold speed) my wife gives me a dirty look and says we should have never sold the Moomba. I can honestly say that I am at the point of being very disappointed with both MC and my dealer. Bit thought I was getting the best and I feel like its the exact opposite. For a boat with a Msrp of 118k cad you would expect none of this crap. Plus the dealer took 16 days to install the damn system. 16 days of the best months of or short canadian summers.

Overall I am very disappointed. We bought it for wakeboarding and have 30 hours and still haven't had a decent ride once. Would anyone else find this acceptable?
Well, I can't do anything about the dealer being bad. But what I would suggest is doing research about upgrades you are requesting. Knowing what should be done and having a knowledgeable discussion about them would go a long way to making sure you get what you are after.

You say the PP does not hold speed? How so? You know there are a couple of settings you can change to adjust how hard it pulls and by how far it might over shoot a speed.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!