Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X1
Engine Hatch

Finally decided to redo my hatch. Vinyl is in good shape, but it had a bow in it. I believe from where the original owner left the tower sitting on it. Trying to decide if I want to rebuild like it was or make a custom hatch and cover it with Seadek or something. The flat base is a corrugated looking material. Does anyone know what this is? I figured it was just HDPE, but it's not.

agarabaghi, did you say you had a CAD file for a hatch that you built?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Honeycomb aluminum.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X30
I'm planning on doing the same to mine since the vinyl is shot. I also assumed it was HDPE which is what mine looks like but it also has a layer of aluminum honeycomb. I'm not sure if having two small cushions made up for the sides and a filler cusion with snaps for the middle is worth it vs just putting down a sheet of hydro turf
Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 PM
MC Fanatic

I'm going to run a cross support as close to the plastic tray as possible. It will probably run over the distributor cap. Really disappointing that mastercraft did not put more thought into the center sunpad.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Are there nuts mounted to the honeycomb aluminum for the 4 hinge bolts? Or do the bolts just screw in to the panel? I removed my sunpad today and was wandering how the hinges were engineered. Would you mind taking a pic of it too since you have your all apart.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:30 AM
MC Fanatic

It screws into the panel, but there are threaded inserts in the honeycomb. I will try to take a picture tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Here you go

Old 04-27-2017, 01:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
Just wanted to chime in and add something to consider. Whatever you end up doing and before you get too far down the path, be sure that your solution and end result does not interfere with the distributor cap. Of course, I'm not sure if the disti cap is the same on your 07 MCX as mine, but I have a similar problem with my hatch. It doesn't sag, but it's gotten softer, especially in the middle during high heat. I spent a LOT of money and time last season chasing my tail with a problem: intermittent missing/misfires and brief check engine light. I ultimately figured it out, but it was super frustrating and kind of killed our season. Turns out, I likely had more than one issue but the root of my major problem was an ever so slightly broken pin on the center wire of my MCX's distributor cap. The shop didn't catch it on land and I had a complete tuneup just 2 months prior (new cap). The cause was the result of someone either jumping onto/off of the hatch or jumping a$$ first from the swim step onto the hatch backward (I'm guilty of having done this). Once I finally figured this out and discussed with my local Indmar shop, they discovered that when an average sized adult steps with two feet together directly above the disti cap, it touches. One foot is fine, average sized kid, fine. Kind of a marathon post, but wanted to definitely make sure you keep this in mind and don't wish my problems last year on anybody. Anxious to see what you end up doing. I would like to address this as well, but in the meantime will carry a $40 cap under the back bench.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Right now I'm pursuing one of the designs another member here used on his X1. Still trying to get a total cost.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:22 PM
MC Fanatic

My stupid sunpad tray has been rubbing my throttle body connection plug. Last weekend I cut the honeycomb to slide the tray over a 1/4. Out of all the flaws with my boat I have to admit this sunpad situation upsets me the most. My buddy built a support bracket and will try to get it installed this weekend. Will post pics after it's in.
Attached Images