Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Yo TimR ... I really like your post below .... it feels so true at times.

I think my OSU Buckeyes have been on the favorable side of the Committee and even the BCS over the years ..... our losses seem to come earlier in the year and we get in ... this year ..... it would really take a miracle.

My Top 4 right now ...

Bama
OU
Auburn
Miami

I think Bama, OU are locks.
SEC Championship may open a 2nd team.

Wisconsin losing to OSU in the Big 10 will dash those hopes for the Big10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr71 View Post
Doubtful. Below is the actual committee mantra. Good luck figuring it out:
  • Championships matter...until they don't
  • Injuries will be taken into consideration...until they won't
  • Body of work is important...until it's not
  • Recency trumps body of work...until is doesn't
  • Strength of schedule matters...until it doesn't
  • margin of victory (or loss) doesn't matter...until it does

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
There is another part to this. It's the so called giant elephant in the room (or not in the room). The committee is suposed to be completely seperate and striving towards the singular goal of choosing the 4 best teams to populate the playoff bracket. Sounds pretty simple right?

But, what is actually best for ESPN? Highly rated football games. Games that have a mass appeal. Games that are not blow outs. Etc. It's no different with College Football than it is with any of the major big 4 pro sports. Huge markets bring bigger audiences.

I'm not implying that there's a sub agenda in the room relative to what would be best for the media (ESPN). But there is perhaps a coincidental agenda that gives that appearance. Here's how: The committee has a pretty good cross representaiton from the Power 5. Therefore, if someone or a group of someones are advocating on behalf of say the Big Ten, then they are keeping the scope of participation broad.

Let's just say before Georgia lost...if Bama, Georgia, Clemson +1 (ND or B1G champion) got in. That would actually be pretty bad from a regional and national appeal perspective. You'd have 3 teams from the relatively unpopulated southeast, and zero representation from the West Coast.

So, just keep watching what the committee does and in the back of your mind be skeptical. If they manage to railroad another team...like they did TCU in the first CFP, then it could be a result of this representation quoata that happens to align with the desires of the owner (ESPN).

And I agree that there's no point whatsoever in having these Tuesday night shows...it's made for TV filler.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
At the end of the day, Nick Saban and Jalen Hurts will be holding the National Championship trophy. No matter the 4 teams they let have a swing at it, there is not much money to be made betting against Alabama.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda6339 View Post
At the end of the day, Nick Saban and Jalen Hurts will be holding the National Championship trophy. No matter the 4 teams they let have a swing at it, there is not much money to be made betting against Alabama.
Unless you have a Delorean and we can go back to 2015.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda6339 View Post
The last few years I would agree with you. But, this year, I'm not so sure. Bama's defensive line is decimated. With the iron bowl being in auburn, I would argue that Bama is not even a lock for the Sec championship game. An iron bowl loss for bama would make choosing the top 4 extremely difficult. A sec championship for auburn would make it impossible. It will be really interesting, does a 2 loss sec championship auburn team get into the top 4. What happens if auburn wins out, and Miami beats clemson? Does auburn get picked over a 2 loss Clemson team and a 1 loss bama team? So many different Way that it could play out but an auburn sec champion will screw it all up...
Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
LSU exposed a weakness by scoring 10 points?? I mean 10 points, really? The only thing LSU exposed last week is they are terrible and they gained another L all while proving they need a new head coach. I mean you lost to Troy!!!

The only thing MSST did was take full advantage of 4th string starters because of injuries.

Auburn beats GA year in and year out and it has no impact on the Iron Bowl.
LSU out gained Bama in total yards and time of possession. LSU is a young team that lost to Troy and has since bounced back to beat Auburn (#6), who just pummeled the #1 team. If LSU has a better QB, which has been the same knock year in and year out, they beat Bama.

Why do they need a new head coach? They put up the more yards on Bama, than the last 6 tries and really controlled the clock, they just don't have a QB that can change the game.

Bama is very beatable and if Auburn watches what State/ LSU did, they will beat Bama as they are very similar to State but with a better defense. Injuries happen to every team, and the injury bug is hitting Bama at a bad time.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsx30 View Post
The last few years I would agree with you. But, this year, I'm not so sure. Bama's defensive line is decimated. With the iron bowl being in auburn, I would argue that Bama is not even a lock for the Sec championship game. An iron bowl loss for bama would make choosing the top 4 extremely difficult. A sec championship for auburn would make it impossible. It will be really interesting, does a 2 loss sec championship auburn team get into the top 4. What happens if auburn wins out, and Miami beats clemson? Does auburn get picked over a 2 loss Clemson team and a 1 loss bama team? So many different Way that it could play out but an auburn sec champion will screw it all up...
Auburn could really screw it all up. The Iron bowl will be a great game to watch.

I don't how the SEC champion is left our regardless as you would have beaten two top 10 teams in back to back weeks.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
Auburn could really screw it all up. The Iron bowl will be a great game to watch.

I don't how the SEC champion is left our regardless as you would have beaten two top 10 teams in back to back weeks.
The same way Penn was left out last year.

Given how crazy the committee acts, Auburn could beat Bama, lose to GA and Bama could still get in. It's like darts at a dart board.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
The same way Penn was left out last year.

Given how crazy the committee acts, Auburn could beat Bama, lose to GA and Bama could still get in. It's like darts at a dart board.
I agree, there is no consistency. I think a previous post was very truthful in that the committee will try and put different teams from different Geographic's in for ratings.

I still believe a One Loss Bama team is better than most of these other teams due to Nick Saban alone.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
LSU out gained Bama in total yards and time of possession. LSU is a young team that lost to Troy and has since bounced back to beat Auburn (#6), who just pummeled the #1 team. If LSU has a better QB, which has been the same knock year in and year out, they beat Bama.

Why do they need a new head coach? They put up the more yards on Bama, than the last 6 tries and really controlled the clock, they just don't have a QB that can change the game.

Bama is very beatable and if Auburn watches what State/ LSU did, they will beat Bama as they are very similar to State but with a better defense. Injuries happen to every team, and the injury bug is hitting Bama at a bad time.
Auburn wasn't #6 when they played LSU.

Total yards 306 vs 299 I could see how you would think 7 yards is something to crow about. TA&M put up more yards on Bama then LSU did and they scored more points on Bama then LSU. TA&M had more time of possession then Bama did as well. LSU's game play was nothing special.

Let me preach on. MSST had more yards, more 1st downs and more TOP them LSU did but they still didn't manage a win from it. So both MSST and TA&M had better games against Bama then LSU did and none of them managed to gain a W.

Trying to dog pile on Bama using Auburn hoping that Auburn can get done what LSU could not makes my heart very warm!!

A hurt Bama defense held LSU to 3 points for almost 3 quarters.

Time of possession of 8 minutes more in a loss means nothing.

It was a pretty easy win for a hurt Bama team.

I can't wait for the Iron Bowl. We'll see just how well a hurt Bama team plays.

TBH, Jalen Hurts isn't all that good a QB. He has trouble identifying secondary receivers when the primary is covered up and he is under pressure. His play will not earn him a Heisman trip.

Bama is beatable, yet no one has done it.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 11-16-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Tags
boomer sooner