Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-23-2018, 05:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft PS 190 5.7 98 SN GT40
95 PS 190 bogging at WOT after fuel pump replace

Just replaced the Fuel pump on this PS 190 with 350 TBI. TBI# 17095176
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=86787
Tok it out for a test drive today and starts much better and quicker when cold than it has in quite a while. No leaks and everything seemed fine up to about 3500 RPM. Tried to climb up to WOT and once it gets to about 3900 to 4000 and I try to push the throttle all the way and it bogs and slows down a bit. Seems to hold at about 4000 but any more throttle and it bogs. Read a lot about WOT RPMs and what they should be but this is not running good at WOT. Did not hold it for long but tried to get there multiple times.
Feels like it may be starving for fuel? Also replace the fuel filter.
Guess the next step would be checking fuel pressure at WOT. I have been reading about putting a fitting in the fuel filter or the line near it. But wouldn't this give me the Pump pressure and not what the Throttle body is regulating it to for the injectors? I did not check the fuel pickup screen or anti siphon valve. But I am not aware of any starving issue prior to the fuel pump. Need to talk to my cousin the owner about this but he is out of touch for a week or so.
Anybody had problems with getting a bad P5000 fuel pump recently???
Thanks for any helpful hints here.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Put the fitting in you read about and get the system pressure. If you think the regulator is choking it out the simple test is to squeeze the return(rubber) line with a set of pliers and see if the power comes back. That will tell you if the regulator is bad. It won't tell you if the anti siphon is bad or pickup screen. Of course this is assuming that the ignition system is in good condition, base timing is correct etc.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
I didn't have a Schrader valve for fuel pressure testing on my 94, so I rigged this temporary test apparatus for fuel pressure testing. I run it with hard fuel line with no Schrader valve when not testing.

See Post # 20

Fuel pump leak on 94 PS 190 with 350 TBI
Old 09-06-2018, 07:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft PS 190 5.7 98 SN GT40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
I didn't have a Schrader valve for fuel pressure testing on my 94, so I rigged this temporary test apparatus for fuel pressure testing. I run it with hard fuel line with no Schrader valve when not testing.

See Post # 20

Fuel pump leak on 94 PS 190 with 350 TBI
LWS,
I like that option you put together. I've been looking for the parts to put one together for testing, but my Cousin finally got back from Alaska and put the boat in last night. Pulled 8 different people skiing a couple of times before the sun went down. Also made several runs on the lake at WOT and had no issues. He says it runs as good or better than he remembers. He did say he thought it some times in the past had a miss at WOT but I'm not sure what he means. He is not a motor type guy and once did not know that the 95 XLT Polaris snowmobile he was ridding was only running on two cylinders. I sold it to him the year before and knew as soon as he pulled the rope and started it.