Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 tristar 190
Roman,
Yes the water where we surf is 25-30 ft deep.
What type of ballast/surfgate setup do you use?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 09-19-2017, 01:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Due to the water I ride in, surfing is very hard. Its 6-10 feet deep and littered in seaweed.
For me listing is the only thing that works. My boat doesn't help you though but Ill tell you what my setup is, and currently I am the only one that goes ropeless behind it (but im also the only one who actively goes out to ride, and looks for rides). I asked about the depth because its key.

Ok so my setup.
800 beside the engine on the surfside.
350 in the trunk on the surfside
350 on the backseat on the surfside
200 in the front under the bow cushions.

I have to list. If I use a gate, my wake is garbage.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
If your tristar is an open bow be careful when crossing wake with ballast.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM
TT Regular

Like I said I'm new to surfing. By listing, do you mean leaning the boat and weighing it down towards the surfside?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 08:51 AM
TT Regular

Jason, It is open bow. Thanks! I see that you have a tristar as well. What is your surfing setup
Old 09-22-2017, 12:09 AM
TT Regular

Can anyone give me an idea if we have a wake shaper , a 550 lb fatsac on the back seat and another 550 lb bag on the surf side of the engine (maybe not filled quite all the way up) if that would be enough to through a decent enough wake to let go of the rope while surfing behind? Like I said we are beginners at surfing and are really just wanting a basic surf wake that we can let go of the rope behind.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
this probably wont help out much but when i've helped with ballast, wake shaper, etc... and surfed (i'm primarily a slalom skiier but if i'm bored i'll go surfing) on primarily ski boats the one thing I have noticed is there is hardly ever a do x, y, x and you will get the wake you want. Literally every time we have went behind any of our boats we have gotten a different wake. This is not meant to say not to do it just letting you know that is one setup doesn't work try something else.

I will say this. My nephew is 7 years old @60lbs behind my 92 prostar 190 if i have a diy wake shaper and ~1000 lbs of ballast between the back of the boat (in place of the rear seat) and the side he is surfing on to get a little lean going on, he can let go of the rope. That probably doesn't help out a lot but just a little info to chew on.

I also forgot different boards make a huge difference as well.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for your reply h20 I'll keep that in mind
Old 09-22-2017, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeams2 View Post
Like I said I'm new to surfing. By listing, do you mean leaning the boat and weighing it down towards the surfside?

Thanks
Yes, lean the boat over on the surf side. All the weight needs to be on the surf side.
Make sure when a rider falls, you gently come off the throttle, dont snap it back. You will take water over the transom. Let the wave pass you then turn around and idle back to the rider.
Make sure your bilge pumps are working properly and consider adding another one with a big discharge line that's pretty direct incase you take on a lot of water.
If its kind of hairy to drive you can do what my wife makes us do. Get the boat to speed and then tell everyone to sit on the surf side. When the rider falls everyone goes over to non surf side to get the boat to level out more. She also drive in a very large circle to help the wave form a little nice (turn towards the wave side slightly).

I also suggest people hold onto the line/rope. I get frustrated when people are focused on letting go of the rope and they just want to go ropeless. It just wastes time and in your boat will probably just add stress to the driver initially until they get the hang of driving a listed boat. You really need to learn how to pump yourself forward after you fall back on the wave. So have your rope long enough to put you where its actually possible to recover from and learn to recover. Thats the first thing you need to learn really.

The hard part with surfing is dialing in your wave.
I actually need to cut/trim and maybe raise my platform as it interferes with my wave bigtime and causes a very early curl and almost like a double lip. You'll need to spend time trying to dial yours in aswell.
Like I said for me listing is the only thing that works. A surfgate might be better for you due to size. Post up some pictures
Old 09-22-2017, 12:00 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the reply Roman! Do you think a 550 lb sac in the back and a 550 lb sac on the surf side not completely filled and a surf gate should do the trick to allow us to let go of the rope while surfing?

Thanks

Tags
89 tristar, ballast, surf gate, wakeshaper, wakesurf