Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-09-2013, 06:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Hard steering - cable or rudder box?

The problem is hard steering to left only while under throttle.

Here is what I know:

1. Disconnected cable at rudder. Rudder turns very easily.

2. There is a bit of radial play between the rudder and rudder box. If I **** the rudder (side load it) it seems to bind up a bit. Not sure how much play is excessive?

3. Neighbor has the same boat and his steering effort is much less. We were comparing his boat which was not taken apart to our disconnected cable at rudder.

4. I was not able to turn rudder rudder by hand with cable hooked up.

Given all this info, I think I need a new cable. However, wouldn’t steering be hard in both directions? Why only left turns?

Anyone have a PN for the cable?

Thanks, Matt.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, Maristar 210, 1992, 351
Send a message via AIM to jackpita Send a message via Yahoo to jackpita
How old is the cable? I had a similar problem on my 92 Maristar 210 last year. Replaced it with a new cable from SKIDIM. http://www.skidim.com
Give them a call, they will have a new one. Easy fix.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpita View Post
How old is the cable? I had a similar problem on my 92 Maristar 210 last year. Replaced it with a new cable from SKIDIM. http://www.skidim.com
Give them a call, they will have a new one. Easy fix.
I don't know. Just bought the boat a few months ago. PO said it was a newer cable. Based on mine vs neighbors, I'll need a new one.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
The problem is hard steering to left only while under throttle.

Here is what I know:

1. Disconnected cable at rudder. Rudder turns very easily.

2. There is a bit of radial play between the rudder and rudder box. If I **** the rudder (side load it) it seems to bind up a bit. Not sure how much play is excessive?

3. Neighbor has the same boat and his steering effort is much less. We were comparing his boat which was not taken apart to our disconnected cable at rudder.

4. I was not able to turn rudder rudder by hand with cable hooked up.

Given all this info, I think I need a new cable. However, wouldn’t steering be hard in both directions? Why only left turns?

Anyone have a PN for the cable?

Thanks, Matt.
Did you turn the steering wheel when the rudder was disconnected? That would tell you where the binding is happening. If it turns easily, have another person turn the wheel while you add side-load. You shouldn't have a lot of play.

The part number is on the cable sheath.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Lots of variables especially with a boat of that age. The cable is always the low hanging fruit and should give you a chance to pull the rack apart while you're at it. For the cost involved I'd be hard pressed not to replace it and clean/lubricate everything from the steering wheel to the rudder box while you're at it.

From the sound of it you have the boat inside somewhere where you can work on it so it's not like you don't have a ton of time before spring to get it done. You'll also have time to inspect other aspects of your new purchase for possible upgrades/maintenance while your at it.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
I dealt with steering issues most of the summer this year before getting mine figure out. Since I literally went through every part of it I'd say replace the cable first. It is the most likely issue and if it's not the issue, it probably is soon to be anyway. While you are doing the cable grease everything really well. Feed grease into the helm too and of course the rudder and standoff. If that doesn't fix your problem, (it didn't fix mine although it needed it anyway), inspect the rudder box. When I completely removed my rudder box I realized that the p.o. had bent it. I replaced the rudder box and all is good.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Did you turn the steering wheel when the rudder was disconnected? That would tell you where the binding is happening. If it turns easily, have another person turn the wheel while you add side-load. You shouldn't have a lot of play.

The part number is on the cable sheath.
Yes, that was #3 I tried to describe. Steering effort with cable disconnected at rudder was more than neighbors boat with nothing disconnected. Effort was more but there was no binding. In gear at idle it turns fine. Just under power the issue comes up.

I will try to side load rudder while someone turns the wheel.

Is the PN on a label or ink on sheath? The sheath is pretty dirty so I missed it.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Lots of variables especially with a boat of that age. The cable is always the low hanging fruit and should give you a chance to pull the rack apart while you're at it. For the cost involved I'd be hard pressed not to replace it and clean/lubricate everything from the steering wheel to the rudder box while you're at it.

From the sound of it you have the boat inside somewhere where you can work on it so it's not like you don't have a ton of time before spring to get it done. You'll also have time to inspect other aspects of your new purchase for possible upgrades/maintenance while your at it.
Will do. It is in a garage 80mi away and I have a 60k kero bullet heater. It was 5° on Sat night and it was pretty warm in there .
Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
I dealt with steering issues most of the summer this year before getting mine figure out. Since I literally went through every part of it I'd say replace the cable first. It is the most likely issue and if it's not the issue, it probably is soon to be anyway. While you are doing the cable grease everything really well. Feed grease into the helm too and of course the rudder and standoff. If that doesn't fix your problem, (it didn't fix mine although it needed it anyway), inspect the rudder box. When I completely removed my rudder box I realized that the p.o. had bent it. I replaced the rudder box and all is good.
I came across your post and saw your pics. How much clearance should there be between rudder and box? What sealant/adhesive is needed for rudder box?

Any tips on removing rudder box once bolts are out?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
I came across your post and saw your pics. How much clearance should there be between rudder and box? What sealant/adhesive is needed for rudder box?

Any tips on removing rudder box once bolts are out?
A little heat from heat gun... hopefully PO or no one use 3M5200 so seal up.