Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Maristar 225LSV
Engine Recommendation

Hello,

A couple summers ago I purchased a used 1994 Maristar 225LSV. It wasn't in the best shape but as I didn't have the funds to purchase something better, I went ahead and spent a few grand over the past couple seasons keeping her running. Unfortunately, this past summer the engine died. I am now pricing out options to re-power and was wondering if I could get some advice.

There are many components of this boat that are in rough shape and ready to fail. My mechanic gave me two options:

1. re-power with a long block similar to the original engine salvaging all the original equipment that we can, or
2. spend about $2,500 more and get a 383 Mercury that comes complete with all new parts and I would be getting about 100 additional hp. The mercury is not fuel injected.

Keep in mind, the previous owner didn't take the best care of this boat and throughout its entire life it was run on salt water. There is tons of rust and corrosion on all the original equipment. I too boat on salt but I trailer and flush after every use and do my best to keep everything clean.

Lately I've been using the boat 90% wakesurfing 10% wakeboarding if it matters.

Any information you could provide would be helpful.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by averagename; 12-04-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I have an 85 with the original carbed 351w. It still runs great. Depending how often you want to do a little wrenching the better question would be standard distributor vs. electronic ignition imho. If you're able to do tune ups and similar items yourself, no problem. If you're taking it in for any work that needs to be done, E.I. and fuel injection are both worth a fair bit. Hard to believe there haven't been responses to this earlier. Just started going through the posts.
BTW, first posts should always include pics of the boat.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagename View Post
Hello,

A couple summers ago I purchased a used 1994 Maristar 225LSV. It wasn't in the best shape but as I didn't have the funds to purchase something better, I went ahead and spent a few grand over the past couple seasons keeping her running. Unfortunately, this past summer the engine died. I am now pricing out options to re-power and was wondering if I could get some advice.

There are many components of this boat that are in rough shape and ready to fail. My mechanic gave me two options:

1. re-power with a long block similar to the original engine salvaging all the original equipment that we can, or
2. spend about $2,500 more and get a 383 Mercury that comes complete with all new parts and I would be getting about 100 additional hp. The mercury is not fuel injected.

Keep in mind, the previous owner didn't take the best care of this boat and throughout its entire life it was run on salt water. There is tons of rust and corrosion on all the original equipment. I too boat on salt but I trailer and flush after every use and do my best to keep everything clean.

Lately I've been using the boat 90% wakesurfing 10% wakeboarding if it matters.

Any information you could provide would be helpful.

Thanks,
Dave

I agree with MadCity...I would concentrate more on the ignition rather than fuel injection. I'm always a fan of more power no matter what. I am assuming the 383 will still bolt up to the transmission with no issues? Also don't indmar (and I guess Ilmor now) engines run backwards? Not sure if that is a big deal or not. Smarter people than me can weigh in on that. Welcome to the boards, btw.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Boat: 06 X30
What "died" about the motor?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 AM

Boat: 06 X30
What died about the motor?

Changing to a 383 will mean a lot of work to the fuel system and a custom ECM tune which isn't an easy thing to do.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to Team Talk. If I were repowering I would strongly consider a Jasper Marine engine. You can get the correct engine for your boat which will make the swap as seamless as possible. This isn't the cheapest engine option......in fact it may be the most expensive, but you will never regret doing it if you can. Their engines are as good as you can get, and they stand behind their work. http://www.jasperengines.com/marine-engines.php

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 mastecraft maristar 225
I have a suggestion. On eBay the guy is out of Texas. Name is herb.....something???? I'll look later tonight his exact name. Maybe he could be an option. He's been rebuilding engines for 30 years. I spoke to him. He says he does one a day and has great feedback.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Maristar 225LSV
Thank you!

Thank you for all the posts, this is really helpful. I'm leaning towards the merc that my mechanic quoted me on. He's a great mechanic that my family has been dealing with for years and quoted me at about 5K less than the local Mastercraft dealer.

@Madcity I don't have much preference, I'd just like to get the thing running again. My mechanic seems to think the merc is the most reliable option. I also won't mind getting the extra HP out of it. The boat has run on salt water its entire life and was in really rough shape when I got it. I had everything serviced through a local mastercraft dealer until September when I dropped it off to be winterized, they said she was hydro-locked. I also added a couple photos of the boat.

@skitilldark Since this is my first real ski boat (I used to ski behind a grady white outboard) anything that runs is amazing to me. My mechanic assures me everything will fit.

@thatsmrmastercraft
I did look into Jasper a few months ago but I didn't have much luck finding a mechanic. I keep my boat out at my father's house in eastern LI and there aren't many mechanics that work on ski boats. In fact, there aren't many ski boats out there at all. Even though this merc may not be ideal, this mechanic, whom I trust, is a big fan and the price is better than re-powering with my local dealership. My mechanic is also concerned with the condition of the engine components. He gave me a good quote on re-powering with the original parts, he's just worried that the older parts will fail very soon.

@supreme112279, I'm all ears, let me know.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Now that I've decided not to trade her in, I have a feeling I'll be on team talk a lot more. I've got several projects in mind to update and customize this boat.

Take care and have a happy new year.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Good looking boat. Good luck. A mechanic you can trust is invaluable. I do most of my own stuff, but when you need them it's nice to know they're gonna do the job right. BTW, Welcome to the MasterCraft family. Just got a tower mirror for my buddy for Christmas, how do you like yours? The field of vision seems huge on it, and the fact that it's high enough not to have passengers I the way seems very nice.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Assuming your engine is a 350 TBI I'd go long block with new risers and manifolds.
You may want to take the extra step and have a closed-cooling system installed, less problems in the future plus it will help with resale on a boat like this since it already has bottom paint.

More HP on that 383 won't matter for wakesurfing, and most skiers would prefer TBI over Carb. Keep it as stock as possible.

Tags
merc vs indmar, re-power